Comodo Dragon - cd...what is this?

I saw it on the forums, i have heard nothing of this? Anyone have info?

Its Comodo’s new product, a web browser based on Chrome.

https://forums.comodo.com/beta_corner/comodo_dragon_alpha_ver_09016_is_now_available_for_download-t47764.0.html

I never noticed that it was base on Chrome until now. No wonder they were able to quickly make a good browser. lol.

The elephant in this room that everyone’s ignoring…

…is that someone created a forum category for “Comodo Dragon” but never even created a “what is it” sticky posting or anything which gives forums users an idea what’s going on. Making a posting near the beginning of the life of the product, but then not making sure that it somehow stays up at the top so that people don’t have to go searching for it, doesn’t feed the bulldog.

SHAME on whomever around here makes such decisions for not doing it in a way which ensured that there would never be any “what is this” posting/thread as has happened here.

This is the kind of thing that happens when forum users/owners (not just in this forum, but in any forum of this forum’s type) become more technologically sophisticated. They get so close to things that they forget that the average person out in the world doesn’t have their knowledge of what’s what; that everyone else has their kind of inside information and pretty much knows what’s going on.

We see this with many open source product web sites which mount some kind of blog-style CMS system on their sites, and then just have content on the very front page of their sites like “version suchandsuch finally ready for release” and they never bother to ask themselves if a stranger to their site would wonder “version suchandsuch of WHAT?” They don’t, many of them, even bother to have a “what is it” sticky posting which always stays at the top of all the others, or even an “about” page. They get so caught-up in their own little arcane world that they can no longer even imagine how confused and irritated new site visitors might be; and they think it’s perfectly okay to make them dig around the web site and try to figure out what the product even is or does.

That’s exactly the sort of thing that has happened here, and so I repeat: SHAME on whomever did this…

…who, mark my words, will be ticked-off that I wrote this instead of learning a single thing from it. And when that happens, that’s when the average user needs to start asking himself/herself if it’s worth it to even use (or continue to use) the product(s) in question. When those “in the know” start to become arrogant and resentful of being told anything, then it’s time that everyone else left them to their own devices to contemplate their own navels alone.

This place is starting to get like that, and the powers that be have neither noticed, nor care, nor wish to be told, nor give a dang once they are. Every software entity or project or effort needs marketing, PR and customer service people to remind the insufferable techies that the world doesn’t revolve around them.

HarpGuy

https://forums.comodo.com/beta-corner/comodo-dragon-beta1-ver-09022-feedback-and-information-t49898.0.html;msg358340#msg358340

You do have a point, but I found info easily enough.

[attachment deleted by admin]

I found it easy enough to find too, there is a sticky thread stating what CD has and does as well. Like all the privacy/snooping stuff left in by ‘Google’ has been taken out. As well as various other things added and taken out that are not needed.

Hi HarpGuy,

The notifications for each release of Dragon are stickied so they will stay at the top of the list under the heading IMPORTANT TOPICS.

Normally, each release note contains an overview (if it is the first release of a product). In this case the overview was the third post in the topic. Having said that, it should have been the first post in that topic.

...who, mark my words, will be ticked-off that I wrote this instead of learning a single thing from it.

Assumption is a tricky horse to ride Harp. :wink:

This place is starting to get like that, and the powers that be have neither noticed, nor care, nor wish to be told, nor give a dang once they are. Every software entity or project or effort needs marketing, PR and customer service people to remind the insufferable techies that the world doesn't revolve around them.

And customers as well, apparently. :wink: Your point is well taken. Hopefully when staff issue a release note they will be more consistent in placing a description in the first release note.

Cheers,
Ewen :slight_smile:

Another thing I should have predicted (so that I would seem truly prophetic ;)) is that others would chime-in and point out how easily they found the introductory or “what is it” posting about which I’m writing. Grossly missed by them is both the point, and the very meaning of “arcane” as I used it herein. I could go searching through the file cabinets of any US business and find their policies regarding employee rights under such things as ERISA, FLSA, FMLA, OSH, etc…

SEE:  http://www.dol.gov/compliance/

…but the US Department of Labor requires US businesses to post such things in employee common areas for a reason: Precisely so that those “in the know” who always, when confronted, seem to fall back on the old “gee… I had no trouble finding it” rejoinder can’t so easily do; but even more importantly, so that everyone can find the information without having to have special knowledge of its whereabouts… or even its existence.

One should not have to go looking for such things as a simple description of a new product in a place such as this. Even that is an insider sort of requirement of the user… the very definition of “arcane.”

CIS 3.x and earlier is, if one thinks about it, a cogent example of what happens when programmers (and bear in mind that I’m a programmer) rule the roost and it becomes okay for any part of things to become arcane. CIS is one of the best-kept secrets on the Internet; perhaps the hands-down best piece of software of its type ever developed. Yet its interface and notifications is/are among the most off-putting to end-users of whom programmers keep forgetting that it is simply unreasonable to require inordinate technical knowledge or understanding in order to use the product. That arrogance and ignorance is reflected in several places throughout these forums.

It’s too much to ask, apparently, that the powers that be create a posting on the top level within any product forum area that’s completely on its own and sticky so that no matter what else ever gets posted, it stays right up there at the very top, never moving; and which posting explains what the product even is and where (if anywhere) on the Comodo web site one may read about it; and then, immediately LOCK the thread so that no one can reply to or comment on it… so that it’s just informational. How hard could that be?

I know how to use the search feature. I, too, found the explanatory posting… even before I made my earlier posting in this thread. But I still made that posting because the point is that no one should ever have to look for and/or go find something so basic as a “here’s what this product is and does” posting, no matter how allegedly easily it can be found by those “in the know” (or even by those who know how to use “search”).

Other posts in this thread acknowledge that I have a point. That’s nice, but it’s not enough. Unless it motivates those who should be so doing to start making things a little easier for mere mortals to navigate and learn and acquire information around here, Comodo’s products will always be “also rans,” and not winners. And bear in mind that I am among Comdo’s biggest fans who wishes nothing more for Comodo that it becomes the first name on the lips of anyone and everyone who danes to discuss the kinds of products which Comodo makes.

That I have a point makes not one whit of difference if, in the end, it causes no one with the power to make things better…

…better.

HarpGuy

NOTE: I made an edit to this posting not to change it so that something someone subsequenly replied to it would become inappropriate or anything like that (some knuckleheads do that in forums, you know, hence the reason that many forums won’t allow edits once subsequent postings have been made); rather, one of my paragraphs, upon re-reading, was a mess (in terms of logic and flow), so I went back in and fixed it. Apparently, in my zeal to make points, I lost track of the flow of thought in one of my paragraphs and didn’t notice it 'til after others had made replies. My bad… sorry. Trust me, though, no change in my meaning was made. If I wanted to do that, I’d do it honestly by making another posting.

… and I repeat two points from my prior post

Normally, each release note contains an overview (if it is the first release of a product). In this case the overview was the third post in the topic. Having said that, it should have been the first post in that topic.

Most of the other releases contain an overview. I agree that “most” isn’t good enough. Maybe Comodo need to tighten their controls over what gets done with each new release. Hopefully they will.

Your point is well taken

I agree with you, just not with the same degree of vehemence.

Ewen :slight_smile:

HarpGuy,

Rarely have I read posts with so much attention and interest as this two of yours in this thread.
  Besides, you are right.

Jose.