Comodo doesn't detect all programs

1. AMD Athlon X2 6000+CPU 64-bit
  2. Windows Vista Ultimate x64
  3. Comodo Internet Security (without the virus and spyware components)
  4. When Comodo was installed (yes, I removed it for now), it allowed Skype and AOL Instant Message access to the internet without prompting for access. At the time, there was no rule for Skype and AOL Instant Messenger doesn’t even appear in the list of programs attempting to use the network.
  5. Set the rules to ‘Custom’ and the alerting to full but it still allowed full access to these programs without any kind of authorisation. Have tried removing it and reinstalling it and even removing all rules to force a recreation of them but those two programs are still being allowed access without permission.
  6. Defense+ is fully disabled (I use other programs to perform non-Firewall tasks). Firewall+ was set to Custom and alerting to the highest setting available with all options ticked.
  7. No BSODs.
  8. My account has Administrative privileges and UAC has been disabled.

I have experienced this same issue regarding the following applications:
• OpenBrowse (A poxy app provided by my SP)
• AltBinz (A news host downloader)

Not only doesn’t it show the notifications as Clive mentioned, but it’s not even visible on the “Active Connections” screen.

I know that both my applications are written using Borland’s compiles and Clive’s post just confirms this as Skype is created in Delphi. I am not sure about AOL Instant, but Clive (or anyone else), if you can confirm this then we are on to something. The quickest way to confirm this is to right-click the application’s button in the Application Bar. If there is only 4 items (instead of 6), then there is about an 80% probability that it is an application compiled using a Borland Compiler.

The only logical explanation that I may think of is that these applications use the Indy component set. Indy is a custom implementation of the most common Internet Protocols, and as far as I know, it does utilize the Windows API, but I’m not sure which API calls are used. I will investigate this by creating a custom test application to prove or disprove any assumptions and will report the result back to this form.

Hope this helps…

Larez

I’m more than happy to help with this investigation as I want to use this software but I won’t be reinstalling it until the issue is resolved as I need something I can trust to protect my computer from programs written by anything.

CFF Explorer says that the AOL Instant Messenger executable is a Microsoft Visual C++ file. When I right-click on its icon in the taskbar, I get all 6 items.