COMODO DiskShield 1.0.0.7 BETA Released!

Hi Guys,

We would like to announce that COMODO DiskShield 1.0.0.7 BETA is available for download and testing.

What is COMODO DiskShield?

COMODO DiskShield is a disk virtualization software which could protect your computer configuration instantly by turning the disks into virtual disks. With CDS, all the changes made to a disk, such as copying, deleting files/folders, formatting the disk etc. are going to be temporary. All the changes will be eradicated when you restart the PC.

Why would you need such a product?

• because you don’t want any changes to be made to your PC,
  • because you want to let your kids or friends mess around with your computer,
  • becaue you want to browse the internet and go anywhere you like and not worry about consequences,
  • because you are an educational institituion and sick and tired of support costs because users mess up the PCs,
  • because you are a business and want your PCs operating at max without any changes,
  • because you have an adequate imagination to find a use for it

Known Issues:

• CDS 1.0.0.7 does not work with multi-boot Vista computers.
  • CDS 1.0.0.7 does not protect against RAW disk accesses(build 8 has this feature)
  • There are known incompatibility issues with various low level disk management utilities

Bug Reports:

Please use https://forums.comodo.com/comodo_diskshield/comodo_diskshield_bug_reports-t23655.0.html to report your bugs. Our moderators collect these bugs and submit them to the devs.

BETA NOTICE: This product is intended for special users(BETA Testers) who would like to join the testing process. It may contain major bugs tht could cause serious problems and not be suitable for your everyday use yet. Please do not use it in your production machines.

Download Locations:

32-Bit Setup

URL:
http://download.comodo.com/cds/download/setups/beta/DiskShield_Setup_1.0.0.7_XP_VISTA_32x_BETA.msi
Size: 1.97 MB (2,068,480 bytes)
MD5: a33718acae06f5f3ce76d16cf0f2947d
SHA1: a7983989fa5ed9d0b062ca598e95f820d8adc086

64-Bit Setup

URL:
http://download.comodo.com/cds/download/setups/beta/DiskShield_Setup_1.0.0.7_XP_VISTA_64x_BETA.msi
Size: 2.31 MB (2,422,784 bytes)
MD5: 30c83d7c0e5803a2a2df4ac1c799b524
SHA1: df8c97d70cd02a2702999d3b50f35bcce0589efc

Bravo COMODO TEAM (:CLP) Downloading right now :slight_smile:

Does this affect the whole disk? If so, how can I make changes? (i.e configure certain apps). Could you explain a little more please ???. I’ve used VirtualBox before, is it similar to that?

:slight_smile:

you can enable it… no changes will stick
you can disable it… changes will stick… then you can enable it again…

melih

(:CLP) Congrats to the comodo develop team for this great tool :BNC

Xan

Let me see if I understand this correctly … with DiskShield (CDS) enabled, any changes to the hard disk will be lost when you reboot? However, programs think they are actually changing things on the actual system? So, you try out a program, and it turns out to be a virus modifying all the system files will disappear when you reboot?

If I understand this correctly, this sounds really cool. I will need to try it out for sure.

Is there a way to make changes persist over a reboot? Let’s say one wishes to test multiple firewalls for the firewall testing group, and firewalls require reboots, usually, so this would be nice since uninstallers don’t tend to get rid of all files (just take a look at how many people have issues uninstalling CFP). This would be the perfect uninstaller. The program would monitor all files a certain program modifies and then this program could just wipe it out as though it was never there. That would be so sweet.

Cheers.

Exactly. Thats the idea.

Is there a way to make changes persist over a reboot? Let's say one wishes to test multiple firewalls for the firewall testing group, and firewalls require reboots, usually, so this would be nice since uninstallers don't tend to get rid of all files (just take a look at how many people have issues uninstalling CFP). This would be the perfect uninstaller. The program would monitor all files a certain program modifies and then this program could just wipe it out as though it was never there. That would be so sweet.

Not in this version but with the 3rd BETA, there will be such improvements.

Very cool :slight_smile: It would be nice, if there would be a possibility to see, what was changed on the disk!
This would simplify the recognition of malware after an installation - since more and more free software tends to install additional ad- or spyware components without asking the user, if he’s willing to do so…

How does this effect daily updates such as Avira and SAS? I download different skins for Windowblinds all the time will those still be there?

Ok I downloaded and set it up. I shielded both my drives. Then I tried uninstalling Glary Utilities with Revo Uninstaller in advanced mode. After rebooting Glary was still there. Good job Comodo. Is it better to keep both drives shielded 24/7? Anytime I need to install something or add a wallpaper to my collection do I need to disable the shields and reboot or can I just disable them? Thanks guys.

nothing you do during a session will stick, browsing history, favorites you mark, internet cache etc etc… nothing in that session will persist…

Melih

I get that and understand. But I change my desktop wallpaper,themes and screen saver around once a week. I will need to disable the shield all the time I do that correct?

pretty much…

Melih

But to disable DiskShield (to make changes), you will need to reboot your computer each time?

:slight_smile:

Its a good program don’t get me wrong Melih. But you know me well enough by now. To me it doesn’t compete with Sandboxie. (:NRD)

This is absolutely perfect for training centres and managed environments. Up and running in an 50 seat lab with no user resistance.

No issues so far.

he he… NP at all…
its not meant to compete with a sandbox like sandboxie…
its a different kind of virtualisation program for different needs. What you need is our Sandbox app due out soon :slight_smile:

Melih

Excellent news!!

thanks

Melih

No way really Melih. Cool. I do so many changes to both my pc’s that Diskshield hinders me too much. Cant wait to see Comodo’s version of Sandboxie. PM me when its out.

BSOD and can not enter my XP again after I installed it.

Any help to remove it?

sorry for my english.