COMODO Disk Encryption 1.0.0.43 BETA Released!

Very interesting statement 88) And I am curious about an official reaction from Melih or the Dev Team ???

Greetz, Red.

We do NOT put a backdoor to our products as a policy.

thanks
Melih

Thank you Melih :slight_smile:

To be honnest : I didn’t expect otherwise, but I was a little surprised by the post of psych1610 :wink:

Greetz, Red.

First of all, I must say that I am very proud too about our team accomplishment.

To prevent the event where key gets lost/broken, you should use backup USB feature.
To rendez2k: I don’t think the feature of encrypting certain files/folders will be available in the near future because encryption is done at disk-level, not file-system level.

Where can I download the manual ? (or any other documentation)
You don’t even state what encryption-algorithms it uses in your release-post,
just a link to the installer.

There is no manual at the moment… As with all Beta’s.

Josh

As 3xist stated there is no manual for BETA version. If you wish to see what algorithms does CDE use, please install it and create a new virtual encrypted disk. You can choose between various encryption and hashing algorithms.

Yep there are quite a number of different encryption and hashing algorithms

[attachment deleted by admin]

What are your export policies relating to this product and its encryption mechanisms? Are downloads restricted to U.S. ip address only? Last I read, even web browsers were restricted to the level of encryption permissible in their product. Hence the requirement for an Escrow key.

You state there are no back doors, but how can you legally export this product without an Escrow Key?

Other On The Fly encryption software – those that are worth any weight – offer their source code for public peer review and local compiling to insure the quality of the encryption mechanism and that there are no smoke and mirrors.

To give an example, one such encryption package valued at $299 retail simply enciphered the disk data with ROT13. You can probably still find it at Walmart or Best Buy.

Currently, the top two competing On The Fly encryption software are TrueCrypt and FreeOTFE. Both are open-source and have been subjected to public peer review, and both have been certified as absolutely secure by MIT and other prestigious institutes.

How does Comodo plan to contend with such heavy-weights without publishing its source-code?

Simple choice. If you do not like the fact that Comodo, as a commercial entity, choose to not make their source code publicly available, then don’t use their products.

A quick google revealed a listing of 123 currently available OTFE products. Of these, only 9 have made their source code available. That leaves 114 that have chosen to be secure in how they publicly define their software.

You mentioned two very good products in your post - TrueCrypt and FreeOTFE. Both are excellent products and worthy of your full consideration.

Not everything “commercial in confidence” is bad. Similarly, not everything open is good. :wink:

Ewen :slight_smile:

export laws do not restrict exporting this product as long its not exported to some of the forbidden countries.

thanks
Melih

COMODO Disk Encryption 1.2.46.58 BETA Released!

Josh