Comodo Database Updater - Unofficial

Hi everybody ,

As you probably know already, Comodo Internet Sécurity have a little problem when you want to change rapidly a virus database However, you can change it from safe mode but this method is not very practical especially for novices.

It’s why I created a small program that lets you change the database with a simple restart, Comodo Database updater.

Two options are available :

• Download the latest database available from servers
  • Update using a file

Comodo Database updater in pictures :

Download Comodo Database Updater - Unofficial

Requirement Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 or more

Know issue : if you have at least one limited account, after an update, you can’t run a right click scan anymore.

Works on Xp, Vista, seven.
Requires to run the application in administrator mode on Vista and seven

If you use a proxy, CDU will use Windows settings

How it works ?
CDU only adds a request to change the database with the registry key PendingFileRenameOperations that allow to change a file when Windows starts.

Translations :

• English
  • French

How use this applicaiton in your language ?
If your language is available, application will use it automatically, otherwise it will use english.

If you want to translate in your language please translate attached file translation.txt and send it to me.

If you have an issue, please tell me step by step how you have it and join cdu.log
Feel free to back any errors and possible improvements of the application.

Regarding the source code, as it had been written, i sent it to Comodo moderators to check if there is malicious code. And they report it at safe.
I won’t publish it here because i think it’s easy to modify it and publish a real malicious version.
Please note that CDU can only be downloaded at Comodo forum, if you think it in other website, please advise me.

French people see here - utilisateurs français, post en français disponible ici : https://forums.comodo.com/francais-french/comodo-database-updater-non-officiel-t49730.0.html

changelog :

version 0.1 :
Add english translation

version 0.2 :
CDU read the proxy configuration of windows and use the proxy if configured.
Added the option to download the database to a custom folder
Fix filters during file selection, now only the files *. cav will appear

version 0.3 :
Fix issue with 120 dpi
Fix some text still in french
Fix issue in translation detection

version 0.4
add CIS 4.0 compatibility
completely rewrite download process to fix an random problem on windows XP that provoque an error 10055 buffer overflow

version 0.5 :
redesign of the interface
Improving support of proxies. Now you can specify a proxy host and port or specify an autoconfiguraiton address. Username and password can be used too.
You can also import configuration from IE.
Proxy configuration is save to CDU_config.ini.
When comodo servers take too long to respond or the internet connection is not functional, the interface was slow to appear. To fix it, I added a loading window.
If you use a double click, the application was maximized and and was not designed to that. Now double click is forbidden.
Remove many useless log. Now, a log will be generate only if there are errors.
If the application encounters an error that does not allow it to continue, it will stop after the error message. This was not the case before.

version 0.6
Fix an issue on interface when finish proxy edition
Remove auto proxy configuration,complex and insecure
Fix some texts missing in default language
CDU will now ask for administrator mode at execution

version 1.0
add compatibility with CIS 4

[attachment deleted by admin]

Looks cool… Those who test it, please post your experience with it… :-TU

I am quite impressed with your programming efforts!

We will see what the community thinks about this. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Josh

Good idea. ;D

Nice. :-TU

As suggest by Paul75

update 0.2

CDU read the proxy configuration of windows and use the proxy if configured.
Added the option to download the database to a custom folder
Fix filters during file selection, now only the files *. cav will appear

I’ve given it a try just to see how it works and it ain’t working, at least on my system (or VM). Like a true Comodo application, this one has problems with 120 DPI as well ;D (see the picture bellow). Setting DPI to 96 (default) fixes the outer frame, but still there are no options which could have be chosen to perform any action. Nice idea, but the application itself should be renamed to alpha or to version zero something before you give it a proper testing.

Cool tool.:-TU

The GUI has some issues here with Win 7. When starting I get an error message box with no error and then an almost empty screen. I am not using Windows Blinds or Tweak UI or similar programs to change the Windows UI.

Let me know if you want any information.

Well, i’am roolback to version 0.3. This program can’t do anything to the computer but there was more trouble than i imagined.

version 0.3 :
Fix issue with 120 dpi
Fix some text still in french

I still have an issue with the top right cross in 120 dpi or more.

If you have an error, please add CDU.log.

But is like you have no have text on interface, it’s strange because there is default value.

Dam, there is 2 years i didn’t make a program but what i see is catastrophic

I’m fixing it

Edit : fixed

version 0.4
add CIS 4.0 compatibility
completely rewrite download process to fix an random problem on windows XP that provoque an error 10055 buffer overflow

I must made an exception for CIS 4.0 because it uses http://download.comodo.com/av/updates313/sigs/bases

Do you know if CIS 4.0 finale will use http://download.comodo.com/av/updates40/sigs/bases ?

It is working now here on Win 7. The GUI is fixed, 4.0 supported and downloading and successfully updating the bases.cav is working too. :-TU

Update to 0.5. A big update because interface has been completely revised

In fact, since update 0.2, I noticed that the interface was poorly designed. It was not easy to use and had a useless menu.
So i recreate it. I also change the visual.
Now, two choices, download the database and update it.

Changelog 0.5 :
redesign of the interface
Improving support of proxies. Now you can specify a proxy host and port or specify an autoconfiguraiton address. Username and password can be used too.
You can also import configuration from IE.
Proxy configuration is save to CDU_config.ini.
When comodo servers take too long to respond or the internet connection is not functional, the interface was slow to appear. To fix it, I added a loading window.
If you use a double click, the application was maximized and and was not designed to that. Now double click is forbidden.
Remove many useless log. Now, a log will be generate only if there are errors.
If the application encounters an error that does not allow it to continue, it will stop after the error message. This was not the case before.

Moved to the AV help board and stickied it.

Something is just wrong when the forum of an internet security software package hosts a file by an unknown 3rd party that is intended to modify files used by said internet security software in order to fix errors in said internet security software to detect malware coming from unknown 3rd parties…

This program was checked by a comodo moderator(the source code). you can use it safely.

I don’t have problem with the AV , but this tool is good for someone.

I used this tool several times a week before upgrading to CIS 3.14…586

I will be keeping a copy of this one for just in case.

The people that have older machines may be surprised when the program will not initialize, and discover that they do not have proper software installed to run this little gem. Thank you Shaoran.

http://www.realtyware.com/support/error-messages/the-application-failed-to-initialize-properly-0xc0000135/

Ralph

Update to version 0.6
Fix an issue on interface when finish proxy edition
Remove auto proxy configuration,complex and insecure
Fix some texts missing in default language
CDU will now ask for administrator mode at execution

Requirement Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 or more

There is no new bug to fix, this is the last update until there is no new bug or new translation.
About 1.0 version, i will release it only at CIS 4.0 final because it will impact CDU.

Regarding the source code, as it had been written, i sent it to Comodo moderators to check if there is malicious code. And they report it at safe.
I won’t publish it here because i think it’s easy to modify it and publish a real malicious version.
Please note that CDU can only be downloaded at Comodo forum, if you find it in other website, please advise me.

Comodo Database Updater goes to finale version

Changelog 1.0
add compatibility with CIS version 4

Warning, CDU is now not compatible with 4.0.664.127486 and 4.0.129536.679.