COMODO blocking wireless signal to printer?

Hello,
I have a HP Officejet pro 8620. It keeps dropping it’s wireless signal. It comes and goes. I mean it will be connected one second then the light for the connection on the printer starts blinking and I lose the signal. It will come back a few seconds/minutes later. I have been trying to work through this wita a person from the HP help forums. He has referred me here thinking it might be a firewall issue. Is that possible given the symptoms?

Thanks

Doubtful that comodo is interfering with a wireless signal but to rule it out you can disable the firewall and see if the issue persists. It’s most likely a physical interference with another close by device that operates on the same wireless frequency. Or its the printer wireless adapter going bad.

futuretech, I attempted that earlier this morning. After disabling comodo in start and re-booting I found two things…1 comodo re-inserts itself. 2. my printer software became corrupted, and would no longer function. I had to re-install it. Is that possible? should I see my printer in the ruleset of the firewall?

This is a fairly new printer and has been an issue for some time. I have no other wireless products.

How did you disable comodo? Did you right-click on the cis tray and go to firewall > Disable or did you select exit? If you close out the tray, the protection components will still be active, to properly disable the components right-click on the tray icon and for each component (HIPS,Firewall,AV,Auto-sandbox,Viruscope) select disable and on the resulting pop-up message that ask how long it should stay disabled select permanently. Then try using your printer and see if any of the issues remain.

I closed it properly and selected 60 min. I don’t know what you are calling a tray icon. Maybe what I call the desktop widget? Had no effect. I just can’t seem to get to the bottom of this. Is it the router, the printer, the firewall …what?

If you’re still having issues even when you disable comodo then you can definitely rule out comodo, you might want to get in touch with HP support and let them know that your firewall is not causing the issue.

Ya, Thanks futuretech. I will.

Did you add the the printer to trusted applications under firewall. (incoming and out under all protocols.) Also if you have blocked fragmented IP traffic checked trying unchecking it. Even with CIS disabled through the tray icon I believe underlying core functions are still enabled. Does the printer show under connected devices even when it refuses to work ?

Also try updating your driver under device manager.

Just a couple of guesses but couldn’t hurt.

I would have to agree with futureTech.

Doubtful that comodo is interfering with a wireless signal but to rule it out you can disable the firewall and see if the issue persists. It’s most likely a physical interference with another close by device that operates on the same wireless frequency. Or its the printer wireless adapter going bad.
Probably the most likely reason, but hard to be sure.

Good Luck

sAyer,

Good points. I’m not completely sure how to make sure the printer is completely allowed through the firewall. The Printer is using the most current driver (fresh software download and update). The printer, and scanner, and, fax do work properly at times. That’s what puzzles me.

Create a rule for your printer.exe, and the driver may possibly need access. Doubtful. Just add the printers as an allowed application. If that does not work add the rule installer or updater which will trigger and alert. That is OK if you’ve changed your default password on the printer. :slight_smile: The evaluated access may help, but probably not.

Good Luck and report back.