COMODO BackUp 4 whishlist

I agree with this user I lost many files i wanted that were old i was not aware the program would delete my files i already had on my backup destination. please fix this feature… thanks for a great program otherwise

Here is my wish:

A setting option to choose how many incremental backups are to be run before a new full backup is automatically performed.

+1

If you use REVISION_NO_MAX macro with reset revision number at 5, for example, and the backup is incremental/differential with automatic base:

The backup will run as full 1st time, 6th time, 11th time, etc… and it will run as incremental/differential the other times (2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 12th, 13th, etc…).

When backup will run as full, it will automatically delete backups from previous runs, so at any point in time you will have no more than 5 backups (1 full + other incrementals/differentials).

Thanks

Please allow the Filters (excluding files and folders) to work with a full partition backup. Right now it only works if you choose “Files and Directories” as the backup source. Acronis True Image can do this with partition backups, and I use this feature a lot when backing up my system partition to exclude some rather large useless files/folders, which makes the backup smaller and faster. Also I use this to exclude my very large multi-gigabyte “My Pictures” and “My Videos” folders from the main backup so that I can make a separate backup job just for it, allowing me to choose a different schedule along with “no compression” to use less CPU.

Hi,

my wishes for CB 4 are

• to seperate “Backup-Name” and “Backup-Path”. It should be possible before pressing “finish” or later to change the Name of a Backup-Job.

• to import scripts. So backup-configs are portable between PC’s, locations and restoreable after a crash.

Thanks

Hi,

You said:

It would be nice to be able to keep previous Backups before they get erased.
So I think an “archiving backup management” feature would be great.
This way it would be possible to keep old backups (on separate DVD,or external drives) before they get deleted.

Regards

In this new version,I am unable to browse directories in order to select files. Bug?

Customizable Backup Profiles

Select various files/dirs and then name that particular backup profile so you can use again later

Thanks,but I just said I CAN’T

It is sad to see how some people are really not appreciative. I say to those who simply criticise Comodo like if everything is due to them on top of not having to pay (like the one who said “■■■■”), I’m sorry but you don’t deserve anybody to do anything for you.
There are many software makers out there that have people testing everything before putting on the market, still they have bugs to sort out after. This is costly and you pay for it. Creating a sofware isn’t as simple as just typing on a keyboard or playing with your little games. There is a lot more to think than you can even imagine.
Go for those that are supposed to be perfect, pay the price and scream at them because they still have bugs, but leave these guys alone, who give their time, because you don’t own them.

Don’t you realise that the price for us is simply to help them to do something we’ll be happier with. Why don’t you just test the software like I do with little test directories & files with the different possibilities before doing it with your important datas with the risk of losing everything, and stop blaming them if you’re too silly to realise that it is your own mistake for not doing so.
Then you can bring the problem to them and find a solution or make them aware and they’ll bring a fix.
It is free and nobody force you to use it.
If you can’t bring ideas to improve the software like others do here, then you should go somewhere else to give your “■■■■”.

Thank you Comodo and all the people who give their time freely to us.
I am new here and thankful
I know this is not part of a wishlist for the software but it is one for the simple RESPECT for this forum and the people in it.
:frowning: >:(

I have suggestions to make.
1- What about after CB starts we had a tag allowing us to switch from beginers to advanced with the option of setting one or the other by default. In the beginers, it could be like it is now: predefined profiles and other profiles with the possibilities of creating in a simple way custom profiles.
Also, the predifined profiles should be able to find a path; for example, the “MyDocuments” (in XP at least)could have been moved to a different location (I have it on my disk D)
The same for Outlook Express for examples in the Maintenance tag, I changed the location to have my emails on my disk D.
For beginners, it would be good if CB could find the real path of those directories, because as it is the predifined Profile becomes useless in a case like these.
For those who know, we could just create our own profile, no problem, but why, if it is already there.

2- In the Advanced tag, it could be one single page (instead of “Step1, Step2 and Step3”) where we fill up like a form with dropdowns, boxes to tick etc… and the Save botton, that’s it.
We could type a simple name of the backup file, select the target and type the folder name for this backup if needed. We could select the type of backup by ticking a box for Full, one for incremential and one for differential. If for example I choose the three types for my backup, and I selected a schedule time for each type (in the same page) Comodo would take charge of creating the backup files separated but connected together or all in one.
If I choose Incremential every day, differential once a week, and Full once a month, then CB would create the first file as Full, the day after it would create the first Inc file, at the end of the week, it would create its first Diff file but no Inc file, at the end of the month it would create its second Full file but no Inc file and no Diff file either and this second Full file would either overwrite the first one or by option could simply leave this previous one which we could do what ever we want with it. If we choose separate files, CB could simply add Full in the filename, Inc1, Inc2, etc… and for the Diff file add Dif1, Dif2, etc. or whatever we set as a code and as an option.
On that same page , in Advanced, we could simply tick a box to schedule or untick to rdeactivate as long as we wish so that all the custom profiles are in the same list marked schedule or not.
I know some of these things are already there, it is only a question of reorganising them in a better or easier way.
This is to improve some of the things but not to remove the other things I haven’t mentionned, like having the options like REVISION_NO_MAX could still be an other option which I think is brilliant.

A couple of things for restore :

Ability to restore individual emails when using the email backup facility

To specify individual files in a text box or something instead of having to trawl through the directory structure

To perform a test only/verification of a restore without actually restoring anything, therefore determine no corruption or individual data could be restored if needed. It’s no good running backups if you can’t restore and the time you normally find out is probably too late !

+1 Having to download 1.7GB of Windows AIK is a pain.

dun wanna download windows AIK… I wish comodo backup have their own…

Backup to Friend Computers

There’s a backup program called crashplan that lets you backup up your files to your friend’s computers. I think this feature would be easy to implement if there was tighter integration with comodo unite.

I think this is beyond a WISH …

Currently CBU only supports Outlook 2003 and 2007. Outlook 2003 is not currently supported by Microsoft and /outlook 2007 is approaching EOL.

CBU currently does not recognize Outlook 2010, Outlook 2013 or Outlook 365.

When will CBU be updated to support current, in use versions of Outlook?

Ewen :slight_smile:

Although at times it is nice to be able to ‘take full control’ of the backup process, at other times a completely automated process is nice as well. My wish for COMODO 4 would be for it to offer a simplified method to create a ‘recovery USB’ since fewer and fewer laptops have CD/DVD drives. Basically a single click to perform a complete backup and create a rescue USB Flash from which the entire system can be restored without installing Windows first. But wait… the problem with most ‘one click’ solutions is that you really don’t want everything backed up - so from the Wizard it would be nice to have an ‘advanced options’ choice allowing certain folders and/or files (or file types) to be flagged as not requiring backup as part of the ‘base’ image.

With regards to your Cloud service, it would be nice to be able to set up COMODO Backup such that it automatically performs incremental backups either to the cloud or to a USB Flash. In this manner, in combination with the ‘Recovery USB’ base backup, it would easily be possible to restore a system to a stable state after a disk crash or corruption.

Currently CBU runs “post backup tasks” before verification.

Surely, the backup task is only really complete when it has been verified.

Shouldn’t the “post backup tasks” run after verification and not before??

Ewen :slight_smile:

My thoughts entirely - also I always want to run the post backup verification so it would be nice to store this setting in the .cbs file.
Rog