Comodo & Azureus [Resolved]

Every time I go to Azureus from Opera (9.23), at least to start a download, I get multiple permission popups from Comodo. The thing is they are endless. At first, it will say 1 of 5, then soon be up to 1 of 20. I can click the box and arrow for two or three at most until its back to 1 of 20, endlessly. Finally, I just toss it in and click alow. What gives with this? Thanks.

Comodo PW current (installed four days ago)
XP/SP2 current

You can change the number of alerts to show at one time by going to Security/Advanced/Miscellaneous.

The reason so many get piled up like that is due to the reaction time of the computer vs reaction time of the user. The applications are trying to connect continually until they get approved; they can regenerate these attempts far faster than you or I can respond to the initial alert.

By limiting the # of alerts shown, CFP will suppress the alerts; this way you can get to it and respond without being overwhelmed. Keep in mind, there’s a time setting as well - if you don’t respond within that timeframe, the application will automatically be blocked for that session.

LM

Thanks. Given the reaction time required, what’s Comodo’s purpose in setting the default number to 20? Does the lowering the number to, say, 5, make for fewer popups overall? I just had a case with Azureus where it seemed so, although I was clicking away for quite awhile. I’ve never had a PF that treated Azureus (individual connections?) like this.

The time duration default is 120 seconds, which doesn’t mean much when the popups are regenerating so quickly.

Yes, in general, it will reduce the number you see - but only as it applies to multiples for the same event.

What you’re seeing for Azureus may be related to your Alert Frequency level - Advanced/Security/Miscellaneous. By default this is at Low, which means popups will only occur based on Application, and Direction of traffic. Moving any higher includes more detail - Protocol, Port, and IP Address. Any rules created by “Remember” and Allow/Block will contain that level of detail. Keep in mind, though, that ALL of this detail will show in the alert, regardless of AF Level.

Alert Frequency as a name for it is a little misleading, because it’s not simply related to how many alerts you get. You get more alerts simply because the level of detail it is monitoring for each application is increasing. So at Medium you get more alerts than at Low, because it also includes Protocol used, as well as Application and Direction.

When you’re running something like Azureus, if you have a relatively high AF level, you’re going to be buried in popups. For sanity’s sake, you probably want Low or Very Low; this is not negating any security, just making the firewall more livable.

LM

Thanks! That solves it. The default I got was Low, since I hadn’t set it. So I changed it to Very Low, which says one time an application. This is the first PF I’ve had that wasn’t set that way by default. Judging by the complaints coming into Scott Finnie’s site after his recommendation of Comodo, a fair number are ending up with an AF Level higher than they expected per the PF’s behavior, and not knowing what to do about it.

In my experience, a lot of folks have increased the AF level from the default to High or Very High, because they think it will increase security and/or they want to define IP addresses and so forth for each application (such as svchost.exe, for windows updates). Then they get a ton of alerts on other applications that they know they’ve allowed, and don’t realize they’re getting them because each time the details change…

While it creates a high level of control, it also creates a lot of frustration when people don’t realize what’s happening. There’s a “set & forget” tutorial in this thread (along with a lot of other useful stuff) that might be helpful…

https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,6167.0.html

I’ll go ahead and mark this topic as Resolved and close it. If you need it reopened, please PM a Moderator (include a link back here) and we’ll be glad to do so.

LM

PS: Glad that worked for you, and glad to help!