Comodo Antivirus, The count down begins!

How about start a petition to AV-C to laucnh these types of tests, They don’t have to… but maybe with enough people they may be convinced…

Hy Kyle.

If you mean av-comparatives.org, they are preparing dynamic tests. And other types as well. I just didn’t read enough to see if it will be AMTSO compliant. But you can check on their site.

Jose.

In fact I’ve just saw they relesead their first removal test.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/comparativesreviews/removal-tests

Yes I was aware of the dynamic testing. But I found no written methodology anywhere, it must be extremely early days.

Oh yeah, that one. Pretty useless… 10 samples…

eXPerience

They are AMTSO member. So I hope they are doing something about it. Because I know other credible testing organisations are all on with AMTSO compliant tests.

Melih

Well… so is the promise fulfilled? This thread suggests not, which is disappointing because I came HERE fresh from uninstalling AVG9. Can you guess what I had in mind? Can you guess how this thread affects my intention?

I discovered a showstopping bug in AVG9: it keeps files open on ALL drives at ALL times, preventing any ability to format those drives from within Windows. I had a workaround, since I use a boot manager with full partition management, but the fact that AVG is now so invasive that it breaks functionality present in Windows for two decades was too much for me to tolerate. I uninstalled it.

So here I came, shopping for an alternative. I have no intention of paying for an antivirus solution, since my experience has steered me clear of such critters for over 15 years: with or without AV solutions, I haven’t been the victim of malware in over 15 years. Using no AV product at all is certainly a viable option in my opinion, and it would be nice to once again enjoy unrestricted FULL performance of my cutting-edge mass storage.

I certainly wasn’t enjoying that performance with AVG. Can Comodo be a useful substitute, or will my computer be parading au naturel from now on?

What do you mean by something? Are you implying that they are going to submit their test to the AMTSO review board for a thorough review? If not are you still going to participate? Clarifications please.

Peace.

Jaki

In how many ways can I say: We want AMTSO compliant testing?
Not testing that people claim to be compliant…but actually compliant…

Melih

But with all due respect,who will determine compliance?

I believe that AMTSO, who are drafting the guidelines for dynamic testing, also have a compliance testing review procedure.

For a test to be fully AMTSO compliant, the testing methodology needs to conform to the AMTSO guidelines AND the processes used throughout the test can be examined, commented on, approved and certified as compliant by AMTSO itself.

David Hartley (from ESET) makes a telling quote on the ESET site

I’d guess (or hope) that eventually you’ll be able to check on the AMTSO web site as to whether a given tester has completed the self-assessment process (when it actually exists). Even then, since AMTSO is not a certification body (not yet, anyway – who knows what will happen further down the line?), it probably won’t mean that any specific test from that tester or organization is compliant. Unless, of course, an analysis from the Review Analysis Board has determined that it is.

Even if the tester is a member of AMTSO, that doesn’t mean at all that they have the automatic endorsement of the organization for their testing. Indeed, they’re at least as liable as anyone else to have their adherence to the AMTSO principles scrutinized by the Review Analysis Board.

Rather than asking AV companies why they won’t submit to this or that test, wouldn’t it be smarter to ask why the current crop of testing methods aren’t AMTSO compliant?

The following testing organisations are already members of AMTSO, yet none of them have an AMTSO compliant test suite;

Cascadia Labs

ICSA Labs
NSS Labs
Virus Bulletin
West Coast Labs

These are all exceptionally capable companies and have consistently been seen as reliable testers (in the context of past testing methods). Maybe, creating AMTSO compliant tests is not as simple as we would like to think it is.

Ewen :slight_smile:

Thanks Panic.

“Even if the tester is a member of AMTSO, that doesn’t mean at all that they have the automatic endorsement of the organization for their testing. Indeed, they’re at least as liable as anyone else to have their adherence to the AMTSO principles scrutinized by the Review Analysis Board.”

At least there does seem to be a Review Analysis Board in place.

I wonder if for the testing group,these tests are significantly more expencive to run than
the current method(s)?