Comodo Anti Virus vs. other free products

Good job!! Excellent, concise summary Kyle - you hit the nail on the head.

The whole purpose of CIS is to PREVENT it getting dirty in the first place. If it can’t get onto your system, the need for detection is reduced - not eliminated, reduced.

Testing the AV in isolation and saying it sux is like saying the seatbelt in my car is not as good as the seatbelt in your car without taking any other safety features into account.

Ewen :slight_smile:

Well paying the money can be a problem with g-data. I had the 30 day trial on my system prior to installing CIS Free. I really liked it and despite hearing stories of terrible support on other forums, decided to register. Due to a problem with their site, I never could get the transaction to complete. I sent off an email about the problem and still haven’t heard back after 2 weeks. I figured if I can’t get them to take my money, then no matter how good the av was, the lack of support was grounds for not using the product. With CIS, at least you have forums like this if a problem is encountered. Also, I opened a ticket a couple of days ago to inquire about a firewall setting and had an answer in a couple of hours. Not to mention, CIS seems to do a great job. FWIW, on the initial scan it found one file that G-Data ignored. It was a signing app for home brew Symbian OS phone applications, so I could install unsigned apps on my phone. I guess I could consider it a false positive, but honestly it’s a shady little app, so I thought it was pretty cool that CIS flagged it. It also found the .exe in the original .zip download that was still on my system.

I would agree with you if he said anything else other than general complaining. We can’t help people that just whine on and on without ever stating an actual issue. That’s what I meant. :wink:

My oh my, I didn’t realise this forum was frequented by such fan-bois… (or should I state the correct vernacular, fan-boys?).

My view is quite clear, and if comprehension is an issue, that is not my fault.

I didn’t realise that proof of an issue with your fan-boi product was required to post here. My proof is my actual experiences with the product and the missing of over 30 viruses and trojan when compared with gdata.

Now, fan-boi, before you continue salivating at this statement, consider that I am comparing comodo to gdata because they are the two I used, it could have been comodo versus norton. If you comprehend this, then obviously you would understand the issue.

Were you only using Comodo’s AV with Defense+ disabled?

If you were then I agree it was a bad idea. It is improving rapidly, but I’d still advise using a free AV such as Avast. Comodo’s AV has still not been tested by most AV testing groups. Remember that no AV can catch anything. In fact they are all relatively useless against zero-day malware. All AV’s give a false sense of security.

The idea with CIS is prevention. If you enable defense+ and answer the popup’s correctly no malware can infect your system. The AV is only there as an extra line of defense in case you make a mistake.

Also, from what I’ve seen GData is a very good AV, but I would never pay money for a security program. There really are many good free one’s out there these days. If you don’t like this one there are many others to try.

No, the defense+ was operating, but this is only good when the files are activated. The person this data came from also had Comodo installed and had disabled defense+ because:

1. Not everyone, including the most technologically savvy, can be bothered constantly clicking a popup window. This is what lead Vista down the path of no return.
  2. The constant popups can lead people to unwittingly answer the wrong way - and it ONLY takes one mistake to cause your system to open up to the world of nasties.
  3. Relying on a system to stop bad things is a good thing, but what if the system already has bad things on it. When the program does not detect a trojan, then problems occur, of course.

As I said, this is not a rant about comodo other than to say that it is a qualified piece of anti-virus software, which from even the fan-boys here seems to be only good for stopping them coming in, and that performs poorly in scanning files for all those nasties.

I did try avast, and I found it, in the real world on large disks to be extremely slow to scan. Having said that Gdata is horrendously slow and seems to slow the entire system down.

The best prevention in my mind is to move to Windows 7. Might I add that Windows security picked up most of the viruses and trojans in a scan - but not as good as gdata.

But, thanks for your reply, you have been the most balanced poster yet.

"
It would be nice if C.I.S. could eradicate all root-kits and boot-viruses that may have previously infested a P.C.,
but that is an unreasonable expectation - I do not know of ANY legitimate A.V. (real-time or otherwise) to promise that.
"

Well, in my experience Gdata did exactly that.

Look here big guy, I am many things but a “fan boi” as you call it I am not. I contribute to this forum in many ways, in fun, in HELPING people (I hope) and elsewhere (including my grievances with a particular product). I’m not going to waste your time, my time, and the forums time in an argument. That being said, state your problem and we may be able to HELP you. Typing a “Comodo AV sucks” thread into existance helps nobody. Understand? :wink:

Your reaction smacks of being a fan boi. I tell it as it is.

Let’s recap your nonsense original post:

"“What was “your view” again? This post didn’t really say anything other than…well, it really didn’t say anything at all.”

As I said, if you don’t understand what I was saying that’s your problem. Don’t bother answering as NOBODY is asking you too, least of all me.

“What does “life its game” mean? Huh”

An attempt to attack my bona fides by attacking my spelling? Small minded game!

“Please, state an actual issue or some proof of anything or an actual problem to warrant this post.”

I did, you just didn’t want to know or understand. Again, that’s not my problem and no one asked you and I didn’t demand you address my statements. Get it?

“I’m sorry, I would much rather help someone, I just don’t care for Trolls.”

And then you have the temerity to call my post a troll.

You have already wasted my time and your own time by arguing, because that was your opening gammit. People don’t agree with your fan-boi view of the product and immediately are attacked in some purile ad hominem way.

Didn’t your parents ever tell you if you have nothing good to say, say nothing?

Alright guys he’s yours, hope you can help. I’m done with this. 88)

“If you have nothing good to say, say nothing” is the hallmark of every totalitarian regime that has ever existed on this planet. We don’t need that kind of mindset or self censorship out of fear in these forums. People need to be free to say what they want except for personal attacks which obviously should not be tolerated.

Yeh, I wish the Mods were a bit more strict on the rules…

Why does Comodo av get such a bad review from PC Magazine and a few other tech sites.

I think this may be because it’s never been tested by a reputable testing organization and also it currently has relatively poor removal capabilities.

Having said this I believe it’s detection ratio is quite good and the next version should hopefully have enhanced removal capabilities. We’ll have to wait and see.