Comodo and Windows Media Player Sharing

Hi Everyone,

Wondering if you could help me - I have set up comodo on both my desktop and notebook machines and I am trying to connect window media player libraries to share media. I have done this successfully when my desktop machine was under trendmicro firewall, but under comodo, I can not seem to get them to interface. iTunes also had a bit of trouble, but i think i have resolved this.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

Spyboy

FWIW, I tried setting up WMP 11 last night on a XP SP2 box to stream divx files to my xbox 360. It worked much better than I expected. However, I did get a few “network errors”. I tried a bunch of different things to get it to work. So many, I’m not sure what I did for sure. I think I may have disabled “Defense and Security Level”. I know that is not a long term solution so I’m hoping someone here has a better method.

BTW, the xbox 360 did a pretty good job playing divx files.

First, have you defined your home network addresses and run the Stealth Ports Wizard? The My Network Zones page will let you define the network, but you have to use the Zone defined there to run the Stealth Ports Wizard before it is applied to make the firewall allow connections.

I have defined my network zone as “home” and set it to a range xxx.xxx.xxx.100 to xxx.xxx.xxx.250 where xxx.xxx.xxx is the Ip of my router and home network. I then ran the “Stealth Ports Wizard” and picked Define a new trusted networkand picked “home” from the list on the third page. I still cannot use WMP from XBOX 360. I can see all other PCs on my network and connect to shares on them.

I think my firewall is blocking TCP port 2869 according to the log

D:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe Blocked TCP xxx.xxx.xxx.138 49488 xxx.xxx.xxx.130 2869 12/8/2007 7:48:43 PM
D:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe Blocked TCP xxx.xxx.xxx.138 9399 xxx.xxx.xxx.130 2869 12/8/2007 7:48:45 PM

D:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe                Blocked    TCP       xxx.xxx.xxx.138          49488        xxx.xxx.xxx.130      2869      12/8/2007 7:48:46 PM
D:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe                Blocked    TCP       xxx.xxx.xxx.138          9399         xxx.xxx.xxx.130      2869      12/8/2007 7:48:48 PM

D:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe                Blocked    TCP       xxx.xxx.xxx.138          49488        xxx.xxx.xxx.130      2869      12/8/2007 7:48:52 PM
D:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe                Blocked    TCP       xxx.xxx.xxx.138          9399         xxx.xxx.xxx.130      2869      12/8/2007 7:48:54 PM

D:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe                Blocked    TCP       xxx.xxx.xxx.138          49488        xxx.xxx.xxx.130      2869      12/8/2007 7:49:00 PM
D:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe                Blocked    TCP       xxx.xxx.xxx.138          9399         xxx.xxx.xxx.130      2869      12/8/2007 7:49:02 PM

.130 is my PC, .138 the XBOX

I am not quite sure why, but I believe that you need to include the full range of the subnet when you define your LAN. In other words, use, for example, 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.0.255 as the range of your LAN or home network. There are local system messages that use 192.168.0.254 and 192.168.0.255. I am not sure if that is your problem, but try that first. You will have to run the Stealth Ports Wizard again after re-defining your Home range. If that does not solve the problem, change the settings in Defense+>Advanced>Defense+ Settings. On that page move the slider to Training Mode and then Remove the rule for WMP in Defense+>Advanced>Computer Security Policy and reboot (may not be necessary, but can’t hurt). Then try to connect. Change the Defense+ Mode back to a higher security level once you have finished.

Thanks for advice. I followed your instructions but still couldn’t get 360 to see the list of videos on my WMP11 PC. I did notice that if I only disabled “Firewall Security Level” and left “Defence + Secirity level” on training mode, everything works fine. I don’t know if this is a clue becuase I don’t really understand the difference between these two things.

FWIW, MS says these are the ports that needs to be open

Port Protocol Process** Direction

1900 UDP SSDP svchost.exe Inbound/Outbound

2869 TCP SSDP, UPnP svchost.exe Inbound

10280-10284 UDP WMDRM-ND registration wmpnetwk.exe Inbound/Outbound

10243 TCP HTTP wmpnetwk.exe Inbound

In case anyone cares, I tried uninstalling and reloading the current Comodo (3.0.13.268), but this di not fix my problem. Then based on info from another source, I tried setting svchost.exe as a trusted application. This worked! I now have no trouble accessing my divx files on my PC from the Xbox 360. This is sweet!

I have just heard that this problem is solved by installing the new version. To get the new version, see:
https://forums.comodo.com/help_for_v3/please_tell_us_if_v3_didnt_work_for_you_here_you_can_get_a_test_version_look_at_the_poll-t16546.0.html

You should be able to alter the level of the firewall in your existing version to Training Mode too and have it learn the settings necessary using the version that you have, but you may want to just try the new version. In case you want to try Training Mode, just put Defense+ in Training Mode as you did before and then put the Firewall into Training Mode: click Firewall>Advanced>Firewall Behavior Settings. Move the slider to Training Mode and then retry the connection.

I don’t think it is a good idea to have svchost.exe as a Trusted Application. That would allow inbound connects from anywhere pointed at it to be made. That is a worm vulnerability. You would be better advised to make a Port Set (in My Port Sets) for svchost.exe with ports 2869 and 3390 and then write a rule: click Firewall>Advanced>Network Security Policy. On this page (Network Security Policy), locate the entry for Svchost.exe, select it and click Edit. Making sure that “Use a Custom Policy” is selected, click Add. On the dialog, enter: Allow, UDP, In, Source Any, Target Any, Source Port 1900, Target Port Any. Click Apply. Then click Add again and enter (for svchost.exe): Allow, TCP, In, Source Any, Target Any, Source Port: Port Set defined above (2869 & 3390), Target Port Any. Click Apply and Apply. (Note that the original rule for svchost.exe contained a rule: Allow TCP/UDP Out from IP Any to IP Any where source port is Any and destination port is Any.
You might want to add rules for wmpnetwk.exe (you would have to either find it in the Network Security Policy list and select it and click Edit, or from the Network Security Policy page, click Add>Select>Browse and locate the entry for wmpnetwk.exe on your hard drive and select it):
Allow UDP In from IP Any to IP Any where the source port is in (ports 10280 - 10284), destination port is Any
Allow UDP Out from IP Any to IP Any where the source port is Any and the destination port is in (Ports 10280 - 10284)
Allow TCP In from IP Any to IP Any where the source port is 10243 and the destination port is Any