Comodo and the HOSTS file

I am wanting to edit the hosts file so that I can block dangerous websites from my computer, but I’m not sure if Comodo firewall will attempt to block my changes to the host file due to it thinking that malware may be trying to edit it instead of me. Is there anything special I need to do such as shutting down Comodo or something before I can safely edit the hosts file?

Comodo will not block you from making changes to the HOSTS file but will block malware from doing so.

thanks! but that brings up another question. What if some malware was made to act just like a person so that it would be able to bypass Comodo to change the registry?

if the file is unknown it will be sandboxed and blocked from doing certain actions. if the file is trusted it will be able to change the registry

I have never seen such malware reported.

As wasgij6 states when the file is unknown it will get sandboxed and is not allowed to access protected folders (Hosts file is in a protected folder) or protected registry keys.

It is a good idea to make your hosts file read only. Open a command prompt and enter the following commands.

cd c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

attrib +R hosts

This will make the hosts file read only and nothing will be able to edit it.

If you want to edit the file, do,

attrib -R hosts

This will reverse the command. If you edit often, you could create two .bat files and put them on your desktop. Use one to remove read only when you want to edit and the other to restore it after. You could also make one interactive script that would ask you which command you want to execute.

LMHmedchem