Comodo and pdf files

I hope I choose the correct forum to post my question, if not, moderator please move my post to the correct location please. thanks!

My question is: ’ how do I go about to tell my comodo internet security premium, to allow me to click on and open, and allow me to view and down load and maybe print, pdf files.

So you know, I followed Chiron’s instructions for setting up and tweaking my comodo installation. ( my thanks to Chiron for those instructions!)
I am a home user, using a desk top with windows XP pro. I am not a programmer, or computer builder, just a home user, who has chosen to use comodo because of past run ins with viruses and malicious software…what a miserable time that was!

as it is now, when I click on a link to a pdf that was sent to me by email or if I find a web site with documentation I am seeking to read, and that documentation is a pdf, I cannot view the pdf. or download it or read it as HTML. I can do nothing with it.
I could be wrong, and correct me if I am , but I’m pretty sure it is comodo causing the interference as it is protecting me, because i see the yellow and green arrows on both sides of the comodo icon in the tool bar.
Is there dangers in viewing and downloading pdf files?

Should it help to know, here are links that I am wanting to read and download but cannot:

http://oldradios.50webs.com/precision/900/9XX_GenOp.pdf

PDF Format
Manual with Schematic Dated 9-40

I thank all who help. :slight_smile:

I don’t think this is caused by Comodo. From your other posts I believe the problem could be related to your browser. Hopefully someone else will be able to help you more with that, but one thing I’d like to know is whether these PDF’s can be opened if you try it from another browser.

Can you please try that and let me know what happens?

Thanks.

Hi,
I usually use fire fox. But as u asked, I used windows explorer and I experienced no trouble! U were spot on! Thank you!
Can u enplane to me why I was having the trouble with Fire fox but no trouble opening the pdfs if I use windows explorer?
What do I do to make pdf’s open and download using Firefox?

PS: it is an honor to receive replies from you Chiron!.. I value your postings that have helped me tweak my comodo ( I’m much happier with comodo now ) and those instructions that have helped me understand comodo and to use it. Thanks!

It’s likely the reason you’re having problems with firefox and PDF files, is because firefox doesn’t have any applications that know what to do with PDFs associated with it. So, two questions, if I may.

1. Which version of firefox are you using?
  2. Which PDF reader do you use?

I am using fire fox 18.0.2

PDF reader I use is: I’m not certain but, could it be Nitro something? …is there a quick way to find out?

There is a Nitro PDF reader, but we can check. We can also make sure the plugin is enabled.

1. Open firefox
  2. On the keyboard select Control+shift+A to open the Addons window
  3. Select Plugins
  4. You will see a list of plugins and on the right a button to enable or disable.

Assuming you have the plugin enabled, we can check to see if it’s associated with PDFs.

1. Open firefox
  2. On the keyboard select Alt+T then press O (not zero)
  3. Select the Applications tab
  4. Look for something like PDF and see if any application is associated with the entry.

See images:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Your instructions were great! Ive never used such methods/steps before, it was fun!

In add ons manager, I don’t see a plug in for Nitro or anything with pdf.

I did see a warning about Java TM Platform SE7 U9 10.9.2.5 that is is known to be vulnerable and I should disable it. …which I did. hoping to learn from you, if this was ok and advisable ?

Also Hoping to learn from u if I should replace it with something else, and what I should replace it with?

From alt+T=O :
I see nothing with the letters pdf.
I attached a screen print of alt+T=O just to help.

If u advise I replace nitro with something, I will. ( as I apparently have something on this computer that there is no record of…and that is a bit scary!)
I will follow your instructions. I’ll need step by step instructions. :slight_smile:

Say, I just discovered when i looked at extensions, : pdf download 3.0.0.2 and i have attached a screen print of this. whatever this pdf is, it is not working like I would like. :slight_smile:

You appear to have Adobe Acrobat installed (PDF reader) you also appear to have an extension for downloading PDF files. What I’d like you to do, is show me what you have under Plugins:

Use Control+Shift+A and select Plugins - Take a screen shot and attach to a post.

With regard to Java, the version you have is very old and should, if you need java, be replaced. You can download the most recent version from:

http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

If you don’t use java, I’d suggest uninstalling it.

From alt+T=O : I see nothing with the letters pdf. I attached a screen print of alt+T=O just to help.

As mentioned earlier, your installed PDF reader seems to be Adobe Acrobat. You can stay with Acrobat or you can change to something else, such as Nitro. It’s really personal choice. However, if you stay with Adobe, please make sure it’s up to date:

If u advise I replace nitro with something, I will. ( as I apparently have something on this computer that there is no record of...and that is a bit scary!) I will follow your instructions. I'll need step by step instructions. :)

Say, I just discovered when i looked at extensions, : pdf download 3.0.0.2 and i have attached a screen print of this. whatever this pdf is, it is not working like I would like. :slight_smile:

Let’s wait and see what you have under plugins and then make some decisions.

Ok, sounds like a good plan!
So you know, I don’t know when I would use Java. Until minutes ago, I was under the impression that every one had to have Java installed!..wow! I want to know more!! :slight_smile: and to know if there is anything better and safer to use? and where would one use java or any related software?

And Ill use what ever pdf program YOU recommend. :slight_smile: Do you feel that it is wise for a home user like myself to use a program like Secunia to keep everything up to date?

and I would like to add that I am experiencing severe difficulties with book marking favorite web pages. and so i disabled then, all today and was finally able to book mark pages and even create sub folders in my book marks. But I hate being with out the protection that some of the add ons offer. …wondering why the add on creators don’t address this issue? or is it just me and my computer?..I wish I understood more / better, how all this works together or can’t.
:slight_smile:

In all honesty, if you don’t know why Java is installed, remove it. At the very least, after updating, disable it in the browser until you know if it’s needed.

And Ill use what ever pdf program YOU recommend. :) Do you feel that it is wise for a home user like myself to use a program like Secunia to keep everything up to date?

The choice of PDF reader is somewhat personal. A lot would say Adobe Acrobat is bloated and I tend to agree. If all you need is a simple reader, you could do worse than use than use the built-in reader that comes with firefox. (let me know if you want to enable it) However, if you feel you want an external reader, any of the following will work - all are free for personal use:

PDF - XChange Viewer
Foxit PDF Reader
Sumatra PDF

You can also take a look at - Best Free Non-Adobe PDF Reader

Remember, if you want to enable the internal pdf reader in firefox or use one of those listed above, you must remove Adobe Acrobat from your system first.

As far as secunia is concerned, a lot of people seem to like these types of application and I’m sure they’re of benefit. I would say, providing your you use it regularly, there’s certainly no harm in installing it.

and I would like to add that I am experiencing severe difficulties with book marking favorite web pages. and so i disabled then, all today and was finally able to book mark pages and even create sub folders in my book marks. But I hate being with out the protection that some of the add ons offer. ....wondering why the add on creators don't address this issue? or is it just me and my computer?..I wish I understood more / better, how all this works together or can't. :)

I noticed you’re having some problems with this and I see Chiron is helping. Personally, I can’t see that any of the addons you have installed, perhaps with the exception of Bitdefender Traffic light, would cause bookmarking to fail. What I would suggest doing is, checking the firefox logs for any errors when bookmarking fails.

To open the log, on the keyboard select Control+Shift+J

With regard to the your attachment to this post, It shows the addon list. I’m not sure if you meant to show me a list of Plug-ins?

Once again, very good reply and info , thank you!
So, Ive given this some thought, and am guessing the reason there is Java installed must only be that I visited a web site that required it be installed in order to view the page. I now recall this scenario happening with my wife’s computer as well. and my not knowing better, or that other, and better means are available, agreed to installing it. The page that we wanted to view we felt was the page we wanted and was trust worthy,… little that we know!.. and we didn’t experience any ill effects from the java installation or from the web page. But regardless of that… here with my computer, I think i will try going with out Java and use what ever else u recommend to substitute should I come across a web page that says I can’t view the page with out Java installed. :slight_smile:
So how do I go about that?

As for pdf reader… Again, I think I will try another program other than adobe. lets start with the one built into Fire Fox, it ought to be very good… b/c Fire fox is very good.
Attached are screen prints of the fire fox log. I have to zip them as they are too large other wise., I’m certain you understand this, and I didn’t need to explain it. Have i forgotten to attach any thing u have asked for now or in the past?

I have also included other zip files titled Unrecognized …I had these zipped ready to send, for some reason,? can’t recall for sure why?.. was probably for posting here.

Also I attached a screen print of what Secunia is currently waiting for me to instruct it to do with updating programs. I m hoping that from viewing it, u can better see what I am seeing and u can advise me what to keep and what to uninstall, etc. …thank you.

Oh, and about me book marking my favorites issue… I tried again several times with all the add ons disabled… I thought it was corrected, but have now found that the problem still exists. and the issue happens when I want to create a entirely new folder in book marks. I can add a web page to an already existing folder, with no problem, unless,… I want to create a new sub folder. :frowning:

Unfortunately, there are no alternatives to Java. if you need it you’ll have to leave it installed, Just make sure you keep it updated (see link in my earlier post) One thing you could do, If you’re using firefox 18, it contains a feature called click-to-play. Basically, no media will be allowed to auto-play, you’ll have to manually allow things like flash and Java for each site. Let me know you want to enable this feature.

As for pdf reader... Again, I think I will try another program other than adobe. lets start with the one built into Fire Fox, it ought to be very good... b/c Fire fox is very good.

To enable the internal PDF reader in firefox:

1. In the address bar type about:config
  2. If you receive a caution notice click OK to proceed
  3. In the Search bar type pdfjs.disabled
  4. Double click the entry to change the value from True to False

Don’t forget to disable the Adobe Acrobat plug-in in firefox.

Attached are screen prints of the fire fox log. I have to zip them as they are too large other wise., I'm certain you understand this, and I didn't need to explain it. Have i forgotten to attach any thing u have asked for now or in the past?

I don’t think we’ve had a list of plug-ins yet. (Control+Shift+A Plugins)

I have also included other zip files titled Unrecognized ....I had these zipped ready to send, for some reason,? can't recall for sure why?...... was probably for posting here.

I don’t remember requesting this information, perhaps it’s for Chiron in one of your other posts?

Also I attached a screen print of what Secunia is currently waiting for me to instruct it to do with updating programs. I m hoping that from viewing it, u can better see what I am seeing and u can advise me what to keep and what to uninstall, etc. ...thank you.

I’d let it update as needed, as some of those applications seem quite old.

Oh, and about me book marking my favorites issue... I tried again several times with all the add ons disabled... I thought it was corrected, but have now found that the problem still exists. and the issue happens when I want to create a entirely new folder in book marks. I can add a web page to an already existing folder, with no problem, unless,... I want to create a new sub folder. :(

I didn’t see anything obvious in the error logs so it’s probably worthwhile Creating a new Firefox profile to see if the problems persist. Make sure you try bookmarking before adding any extensions.

Ok, Now there were so many plugins, I had to make two separate screen prints for the plugins.

Secunia wants to update something called symantec windows live update 1.x I don’t want to allow it because is symantec not another anti virus program? if it is, then I don’t want another, I just want comodo. What do u recommend i do?
Are there any of the programs listed in secunia’s report that I don’t need and I could uninstall?

Thanks for the list of plug-ins, there’s quite a few there but nothing out of the ordinary. If you’re unsure about any of them, my advice would be to disable them and see if the need arises.

Secunia wants to update something called symantec windows live update 1.x I don't want to allow it because is symantec not another anti virus program? if it is, then I don't want another, I just want comodo. What do u recommend i do?

Live update doesn’t have to be installed with a Symantec security product, but you had better check what you have installed. I notice you have AVG and you seem to be running SuperAntiSpyware, so it may be worthwhile assessing exactly what you require. I recommend you take a look in control panel under software and see what’s in the list.

Are there any of the programs listed in secunia's report that I don't need and I could uninstall?

Difficult to say with out complete details and knowing what you need. I’d certainly make sure which security applications you have and remove any you don’t want. I’d also seriously recommend you update your applications as soon as you can.

Thanks, that was great info!. I hunted down AVG using my computer and C and then programs. I deleted it ( sent it to the recycle bin) .

I made a screen print of what other programs are there as I have questions about some and others, I don’t know if they are needed or just came as an extra, with something else that was downloaded.

Firstly I am wondering about Applian Technologies and Com plus Applications.
As I type, I am updating many items Secunia found.

Unfortunately, deleting an application in such a way isn’t really the way to remove them. To uninstall something you should use Control Panel\Add and Remove programs. What you have now, is a situation where some of the files on disk have been removed but there are probably others in less obvious places and you also have all the registry entries. At this point, you can try to clean up by downloading and running the AVG removal tool - Install AVG on your PC, Mac | AVG installation files it’s probably the first one in the list.

I made a screen print of what other programs are there as I have questions about some and others, I don't know if they are needed or just came as an extra, with something else that was downloaded.

Firstly I am wondering about Applian Technologies and Com plus Applications.
As I type, I am updating many items Secunia found.

Applian appear to make a video download ad conversion tool - http://applian.com/ if you don’t need it, remove it. ComPlus applications are part of Windows, so leave those as is.

As far as the images are concerned, you appear to have a lot of anti-malware utilities installed and you’re also using compression (the blue entries) for a lot of files and folders on your System partition (C:) So you might want to look at those.

This is an update report.
As you instructed, I went to fire fox and discovered how to re set fire fox to default settings. and then followed threw and did so.
I am now able to book mark web pages . Hurray!

I have yet to re - enable the addons but will do so and report back.

I also attempted to do the update-ding of programs, I was successful with some but many of the Microsoft ones will not … and I don’t know why?
I created screenshots of several trouble areas for you to view and advise me about. perhaps you ll see programs to get rid of and or can explain how I can go about updating them.
There is also a screen print with an issue about comodo wanting an answer about some programs and I an not certain if it is maleware or OK to allow. please look at it and advise me.
I would like to request the same for several of the screen prints,

and there are screen prints of fire wall settings as you requested…( as I couldn’t get the log report to copy and paste here so I made a screen print of it.)

Thank you for all your time spent in doing this. :slight_smile:

I’m glad you’ve managed to get the bookmarks working. Just add your extensions one at a time, that way you can ascertain whether any are interfering.

I also attempted to do the update-ding of programs, I was successful with some but many of the Microsoft ones will not .. and I don't know why?

You’d be better off running Windows update for MS applications/programs

I created screenshots of several trouble areas for you to view and advise me about. perhaps you ll see programs to get rid of and or can explain how I can go about updating them. There is also a screen print with an issue about comodo wanting an answer about some programs and I an not certain if it is maleware or OK to allow. please look at it and advise me. I would like to request the same for several of the screen prints,

The Java warning is because you still have the old version. Acresso agent is used by a number of applications for updates so it’s unlikely to be malware.

and there are screen prints of fire wall settings as you requested...( as I couldn't get the log report to copy and paste here so I made a screen print of it.)

Thank you for all your time spent in doing this. :slight_smile:

Everything looks find from what I can see. After all the updates have completed you can take stock.

Why do Java updates, NOT remove the old version of JAva when it is installing the latest version? It would be so much simpler for us users!
Other programs do this,. …why I wonder is java so far behind? …are they not aware how much frustration this causes us users?

Indeed, Java can be awkward to remove. Take a look at JavaRa it may help.