Comodo and Nero [Resolved]

I installed Comodo last week and so far I’m pleased with it.

But… The other day I encountered a problem. When I went to use Nero 6 I found that neither Nero Express or Nero Wave Editor would start.
Today I installed Comodo on my father’s PC, but before doing so I checked Nero, both Nero Express and Wave Editor worked OK. Then I installed Comodo and checked Nero again, and neither program worked any more. :frowning:

Uninstalling, and reinstalling Nero 6 does not cure the problem.
Has anyone else had this problem or offer any solutions to the problem?

My PC is running Windows XP Pro SP2, my father’s PC has XP Home SP2.

Today I carried out a few more tests.

I uninstalled Comodo and uninstalled Nero, then reinstalled Nero. Sadly Nero Express and Nero Wave Editor still don’t work.

Clearly whatever Comodo broke when it was installed stays broken even after it’s been removed.
This is not good. :frowning:

I’ve reinstalled Comodo, the damage is done, so I might as well keep Comodo and hopefully someone will come up with a way of repairing the damage.
In the meantime I’ll have to e-mail my friends again and withdraw my recommendation, I don’t want them to suffer the same fate as my father and I.

Give this a try, Dragonrider ~

Physically disconnect your computer from the internet (ie, unplug the network cable).

Turn off/disable all security software (FW, AV, HIPS, etc). Make sure you have no Active protection running (this is why you want to disconnect…).

Uninstall Nero. Reboot if needed. Turn off all Active security software again (as it will run again with reboot).

Clean leftover entries from Registry, remove file traces, etc. If you don’t want to do this by hand, there are free applications like RegSeeker that are very good. Any time you edit the registry, be sure to make a backup (the software has a feature to automatically do so).

Reboot again, turn off all active security software again.

Now reinstall Nero, then reboot.

LM

PS: I see no reason for installing the FW to have caused the problem you experienced. However, computers are strange things sometimes; this should eliminate a lot of potential problems.

Thanks for your suggestions Little Mac, but earlier this evening I went to the Nero website to see if an update would solve the problem. Some would say I should have done this first, but I’d almost forgotten about their site because there’s so many different updates for different versions of Nero that I’m always afraid I’ll pick the wrong one and mess things up!

Anyway, I feeling that I didn’t have much to loose I picked what looked like an appropriate update package and installed it… and lo and behold the ‘missing’ Nero applications worked again. In the next couple of days I’ll need to burn a few CDs and DVDs which will be the ultimate test, but it looks promising.

Like you I’ve no idea why installing a firewall should have the effect it had, but as you say, computers are strange things sometimes.

Well, that’s good to know.

Test it out over the next few days and make sure they work and stick around for you. Then post back here to let us know. If we’re all good at that point, we’ll close out the topic as Resolved.

Awaiting the “all clear” ~

LM

Little Mac.

The Nero patch looks like it solved the problem.
I’ve used the Wave Editor to record some wav files and burnt a CD using Nero Express.

DR.

Good news! Then I’ll close the topic and mark it resolved. If you need it reopened, just PM a Moderator (please include a link) and we’ll be glad to do so.

LM