Comodo and Avast

I installed COMODO and have had a few red flag indicators from Avast when it tried to update. I set up the following Application Control Rules to try and resolve this:

G:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\avast.setup
G:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashDisp.exe

and still got the red flag from Avast when it tried to update. I know this has been discussed to some degree in other threads. Has this been resolved? Any ideas on how to correct this ? With Avg going payware Avast will become increasingly popular. Hint…hint (:WIN) I would like to keep using COMODO.

Hi and welcome,

What happens with a manual update of avast!? Also, (if you cannot manually update) what happens if you set CPF to allow all and try to manually update?

Mike

Well I can update Avast manually but I haven’t heard or seen the auto up date since I installed Comodo. Normally it pops up and says " Virus data base has been updated".

I poked around the Avast forum to see what I could find. Seems this has happened before. Here is what their moderator advised:

"Although you have solved, just to point you to the right direction, into the firewall settings, the following programs should be allowed to connect:

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe (avast! Web Scanner) (allow server rights; access to ports 80, 443; accept connections from localhost on ports 12080)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe (avast! e-Mail Scanner Service) (allow email rights: outgoing on ports 110, 25 and 119; accept connections from localhost on ports 12110, 12025, 12119)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\avast.setup (avast! Update executable)

Don’t need rights to connect:
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe (avast! antivirus service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashUpdSv.exe (avast! Update Service)"

I’ll give it a try.

Ok, you may want to try changing alert level to ‘very high’ (security>advanced>miscellaneous) as well as unchecking ‘Do not show alerts for applications certified by Comodo’.

This will cause a high number of popups, which may display an alert for avast! when updating, which you should allow.

Also, can you check if avast! is listed under the application monitor in CPF and what is in the firewall logs after a failed avast! update?

Mike

This is odd. I use Avast, and it updates fine. Do you have ashUpdSv.exe in the app monitor? That was the key one for me - without it allowed in app monitor i couldn’t update. But you seem to have enough info to get it resolved from mike6688 and the Avast mod, so did it work?

Soak,

I think you’re probably going to end up needing rules for all five of those. Avast may say they don’t need rights to connect, but with CFW, if an application/executable wants to connect, it has to be explicitly allowed in the Application Monitor.

It’s not an issue of compatibility, or a bug; it’s a matter of all the .exe’s having rules to allow them to connect…

BTW, AVG is not going paid at the moment; their popup window about 7.1 going away is somewhat misleading. There is still a free version of 7.5, although it takes some digging to get to it. I think the site is www.free.grisoft.com.

LM

When I first installed COMODO it must have been a beta version. :-[ Well since I have installed the registered version I haven’t seen any AVAST RED warning flags when I reboot. Now I’ll just wait until they update the virus data base to see if its allowed through the firewall automatically. I think it will work. I’ll keep you posted.

Could their be a potential Avast update problem with your beta version ?

Just an update. I no longer have any problems with avast updating its virus data base. I didn’t have t do any special tweaks to COMODO. The solution was installing the registered version and NOT the Beta.
Thanks for your assistance.

Ok, that’s good to know. Do you happen to know exactly what version number that was? Or where you downloaded it? This would greatly help the development team, if it’s a current beta…

What is your current version of CPF? (the one that’s working with Avast)

LM

Well its a good thing I used Flashget downlaod manager in Firefox. Otherwise I couldn’t tell what version conflicted with Avast or where I got it.

Here is the one that wouldn’t let Avast update:

Now here is the version I’m using now that works flawlessly with Avast (no tweaking required)

version 2.3.6.81

Hope this information will avoid any future hiccups in later releases.

You need to get the filehippo website to stop providing Beta versions.

Thanks for the info, Soak! I will make sure Comodo is aware of this - both with FileHippo having a Beta, and the Avast problem with that version.

LM

Go on Google and you will find other sites with betas

They aren’t doing you guys any favors if your trying to promote COMODO