Combine application rules

I was looking through my application rules on my test machine and I see the following (running the current beta)

Seamonkey - [Any] - [Any] - TCP/UDP In - Allow
Seamonkey - [Any] - [Any] - TCP/UDP Out - Allow

Why not have it that when it sees something like that to automatically remove those rules and change it to

Seamonkey - [Any] - [Any] - TCP/UDP In/Out - Allow

Hi,

I believe something like this has been added to the wishlist to allow entries for the same program to be grouped together and then you click on it for it then to show all entries for this program.

This may therefore be implemented into future versions.

Mike

Would be nice if there was grouping as mentioned above, but there was also the option to select multiple rules (under the same group) and merge them automatically with the click of a button…

I wonder, would the verbosity setting affect merges occuring?

I used to use the stable release 2.2.0.11: there were often multiple rules there, but editing just one of them to have everything in one rule caused the extra one(s) to disappear automagically.

However, in the current Beta (2.3.2.21 Beta), I have had no multiple rules in the TCP/UDP/IN/OUT areas. There are many multiples in the Parent Program area though. I have 8 Firefox rules, for instance, each with a different parent, all entirely legitimate and even necessary. It would be nice to have single rules that allow for multiple listed parents. Skipping the parent check does this, of course, but for browsers and e-mail clients leaves one open to attacks by sneaky software. This is further complicated, however, by the need for some, but not all, cases to allow Invisible Connection by the software involved.

I personally don’t mind the plentiful rules as I think it makes things very well defined and clear. I think this also beefs up the security. Whenever we install a new firewall, there has to be a grace period for it to learn and settle down nicely on our PC. Therefore, having multiple rules for a program is not a problem, I think.

Yours truly,
DoomScythe