A. THE BUG/ISSUE (Varies from issue to issue)
- Summary - Comodo Corruption Bug
- Can U reproduce the problem & if so how reliably?: Install Comodo, wait 2 months, observe that it becomes unusable after an update/restart/whatnot
- If U can, exact steps to reproduce. If not, exactly what U did & what happened: See my description below
- If not obvious, what U expected to happen: Shouldn’t corrupt at all
- If a software compatibility problem have U tried the conflict FAQ?: Have not looked at the software conflict FAQ
- Any software except CIS/OS involved? If so - name, & exact version: Hard to say, am I not allowed to use my computer while running this?
- Any other information, eg your guess at the cause, how U tried to fix it etc: Background process crashes, hogs cpu in infinite loop
- [color=purple]As noted, find attached Diagnostic dump. Note that the Comodo claimed a large number of Defense+ events. There are no reliable logs to speak of since the re-install though. There is a debug.zip attached with the configuration attached, your forum wont let me upload .cfgx
- Comodo: Internet Security Premium 2013 6.1.275152.2801:
- Modules enabled & level. D+/HIPS, Autosandbox/BBlocker, Firewall, & AV: I turn everything on/off once in a while. Often I suspect that the Defense+ is just broken so I turn it off to install (legitimate) updates. However, I keep sandbox off by default, rarely use it. Try to keep it all on when I’m not using anything. Worth noting: this problem has partly to do with not being able to use the UI to enable/disable components. Here is my current configuration:
Realtime Scan: Enabled
Scanning Optimizations: Enabled
HIPS: Enabled, Mode: Clean PC Mode
Behavior Blocker: Auto sandbox unknown as Partially Limited
Enable Cloud Lookup
- Have U made any other changes to the default config? (egs here.): No notable changes to default config
Have U updated (without uninstall) from a CIS 5?: No, but had to recently re-install 2013 over itself after the update seemed to leave things worse off.
[list type=lower-alpha][li]if so, have U tried a a clean reinstall - if not please do?: Yes, I have, this is a dump from before the fix
[/li]- Have U imported a config from a previous version of CIS: I presume the re-install over 2013 didn’t remove my config
[li]if so, have U tried a standard config - if not please do: …what exactly does “standard config” mean? Not using any software?
[/li]- OS version, SP, 32/64 bit, UAC setting, account type, V.Machine used: OS: Windows 7 SP1 x64 UAC On, minimal (6.1.7601.17514), Dell laptop
- Other security/s’box software a) currently installed b) installed since OS: Not really security software, but I have various 3rd party apps ready to go for when Comodo tanks. However, I don’t run any of them until it does.
I really think this is irrelevant but here there are anyways:
- Process Explorer
- MalwareBytes (only turned on for the occasional scan - NO THERE IS NO ACTIVE COMPONENT, NO REALTIME SCANNER YOU CAN REST ASSURED YOU ARE NOT OFF OF THE HOOK FOR A PROGRAM THAT IS NOT BEING RUN)
I keep some antivirus software downloaded as well, e.g. Avira etc. in case I have to entirely remove Comodo and need to consult another AV product. However, I leave it uninstalled.
And of course I have an array of offline scanning disks (BitDefender etc.)
find below my original post
OS: Windows 7 SP1 x64 UAC On, minimal (6.1.7601.17514)
Comodo: Internet Security Premium 2013 6.1.275152.2801
Virus Database: 16082
My install of Comodo Internet Security Premium recently broke (again)…it seems this product requires a re-install every two months or so.
I was able to get Comodo to attempt to repair itself by running it in safe mode, however, the program provides no way to initiate a repair. It then (out of safe mode) realized that Defense+ was severely broken, initiated a repair, failed, and generated the output found attached to this post.
Before Comodo broke, I noticed cavwp.exe exhibiting odd behavior. This is consistent with every time Comodo has broken or become unusuable in the past. Some active agent crashes in the background and gets stuck in a forever loop of some sort…doing god knows what…with no way to reboot other than a literal machine reboot.
A fresh install seemed to fix the usability problem. There is no other AV product installed. Comodo has failed me…for the 10th time is it?
Here’s to hoping the dump helps you figure out the problem.
[attachment deleted by admin]