cmdagent.exe using 100% cpu [Merged Threads]

I have had to give up with the new firewall. I managed to install it by using advanced method on one computer but two others just refused to reboot. I have gone into safe mode on one and uninstalled it completely and loaded another brand. The other computer is dead! I can’t get into safe mode and I can’t get it to reboot.

Thanks but it looks like Comodo has cost me at least a repair and probably a new computer. The engineer has been called out and it looks like I need to find another firewall for both computers. It’s a pity because I was really happy with the old version

Alright, call me a masochist but I’m trying it a third time (but a little differently).

I have v3 installed but I did not install it directly from Comodo.com this time. I went to Snapfiles.com to download the new version. I did this because the version that they have posted is only a few megabytes (less than 10) as opposed to the 85MB installation package found on Comodo.com (yeah, strange).

I run the initial installation from Snapfiles without any problems. The strange thing that even though it said that I was updated successfully, it looked a heck of a lot like version 2.x. ???

Then low and behold a window pops up telling me that there was a new version (v3) available ??? and asked if I wanted to install it. Well, I thought that was the whole purpose the first time around but why not have another go at it.

I went through another upgrade and selected a CUSTOM installation and manually set all of the options that would have been set automatically. I know, it probably was overkill but I wanted to try something new.

So, so far so good. It’s been about 45 minutes and things seem to be working well. No real slowdowns other than answering some of the training questions. I still have a lot to test like accessing other systems on the LAN but so far so good. :■■■■

Hi Guys,

Most of the problems mentioned here seem to be related to about vista-inspirat-ultimate-2-brico-pack/uxtheme.dll patcher.

We have verified that this pack patches the uxtheme.dll provided by Microsoft. This “patched” version of uxtheme.dll, when loaded into cmdagent.exe, consumes the CPU entering into an infinite loop possibly somewhere in the patched code.

So the foreign code is causing this problem. Although that pack is hacking your operating system UI significantly(I do not think Microsoft will give any support after this) , it seems to be a cool addon and we do not wish our users to be forced to uninstall it. So we will be updating CFP accordingly to cope with this problem.

Does anyone have the similar problem although not having this pack installed(or any other Theme patching software) ?

Thanks for the feedback,
Egemen

When I launch The Bat!, cmdagent.exe starts use 100% of CPU power. If I try to add The Bat! to exception, cmdagent.exe starts use 100% of CPU power. What I do wrong?

P.S. Sorry for my english. :slight_smile:

I have the same issue.
Was trying to install newest version this morning… first automated update… but XP became very slow afterwards…
I saw that there was a process cmdagent was taking a lot of CPU…

Then I rebooted in safe mode and uninstalled the new version (v3).
I went to the download section and downloaded the entire v3 version…
Installed that one.

And finally my problem seemed to be fixed by that…
After a while my computer became again very slow… and yes cmdagent was again in the processes for about 98%…

I think I will rollback the installation and go back to v2…

Does somebody (of Comodo staff) recognize this issue?

Thanks guys…

Was trying to install newest version this morning… first automated update… but XP became very slow afterwards…
I saw that there was a process cmdagent was taking a lot of CPU…

Then I rebooted in safe mode and uninstalled the new version (v3).
I went to the download section and downloaded the entire v3 version…
Installed that one.

And finally my problem seemed to be fixed by that…
After a while my computer became again very slow… and yes cmdagent was again in the processes for about 98%…

I think I will rollback the installation and go back to v2…

Does somebody (of Comodo staff) recognize this issue?

Thanks guys…

They are trying to isolate this issue as we speak.

Do either of you have any programs installed that changes the look of the Windows GUI to make it look like Vista? They might have found a conflict there with cmdagent.

You might try going to Defense+>Advanced>Defense+ Settings>Monitor Settings>then uncheck “Protected Registry Keys” and see if that stops the high CPU usage.

Please post back to let us know if this helps or not.

jasper

Hey pekestoemp,
I’ve replied to your pm.
Hope your problems will be eventually solved.
Cheers
grampa

Comodo is aware of this issue and is actively working it.

thanks,

jasper

hi Jasper,

Thanks a million for your prompt feedback.

Tried your recommendation instantly, but :frowning: no luck…
I’m using two computer at the moment… one with v2 (this one) and the other with v3 but the performance is really terrible… wish I could give you better news…

Once again… thanks a lot.

Pekes

One other user unchecked one of the other options in that section and that worked for them so you might try unchecking them one at a time to see if one of the other options is causing the problem. My suggestion is just for troubleshooting so be sure to put them back so that you will be protected.

Your help is much appreciated.

jasper

This one is really beating me…
I tried them one by one… it is really funny because Defense+ is disabled so… in the case cmdagent is (only) related to defense+ why is it loaded…

I will cross my finger together with your development team!!!
Come on guys don’t give up :slight_smile:

And if it is solved I will (:CLP)

Thanks !!

Sorry didn’t know you had it disabled. Well that won’t work for you then.

thanks,

jasper

I DO.

I have Vista Transformation Pack installed.
I also use Stardock Object Dock, Yahoo! Widgets, Cursor XP

CMD 3 works very good 4 some time, halts system just once at the first start.
I like its new reactions & interface.

But [shadow=red,left]suddenly stops its correct work and halts the system totally [/shadow] (System did not react on mouse & keyboard, thanks God 4 “hard reset”)
and I haven’t any other cure but complete remove of CMD 3 (:WAV)

Other software installed:
WinXP SP2 with fixes, IE7, Maxthon, US Downloader, Punto Switcher, AShampoo Uninstaller, McAffe VirusScan 8, Bluetooth Widcomm 5, …

I never mentioned it b4…

thanks for your help.
Pekes

Having same trouble with 100% cpu usage and yes I do have a program that changes xp to look like vista

Egemen thinks that one of the .dll files associated with your type of program is causing a loop with cmdagent.exe possibly. Thus it gets stuck and there goes the CPU % up.

You might try what I suggested in my previous post to see if that helps you or not. Could even try unchecking them one at a time(then saving after each one) to see if one of the others is causing a problem instead.

thanks,

jasper

I installed the new V3 version on my home computer and my computer at work. Both are running Windows XP SP2 and Brico Vista Inspirat pack. On my home computer it works fine, but on my office computer I get the 100% cmdagent.exe usage.

Now that’s weird. You might try what I posted earlier in the thread to see if it fixes it or not.

thanks,

jasper

Im using the same transformation pack as VidKo tried what you suggested but no luck so far still at 100%