'cmdagent.exe' process memory leak up to 1.13 GB in 10 days [M1970]

Hi everyone,

I did have a thorough search around before posting this - apologies if I’m asking a question that’s been answered a thousand times before. :wink:

I’ve got a fairly simple setup - Windows 10 / Comodo Firewall 8.4.0.5165. Just the firewall component and HIPS are running (no Auto-Sandbox or Viruscope) and I’ve got a custom ruleset implemented to limit traffic to the local network and the VPN it’s almost always connected to. The computer itself is a file server / Plex host.

Everything works fine, my only query is that throughout the course of a day cmdagent.exe gradually chews through memory. When the system boots it sits at around 25 MB and slides up at a rate of 150 MB a day. Leave the system unchecked for 2 or 3 weeks and everything grinds to a halt. Flip to Task Manager and cmdagent.exe is occupying 3 - 4 GB of RAM.

It’s not a big deal to reboot every week or so. Just wondering if this is expected behaviour and, if it’s not, what I can do to try and prevent it.

All advice very gratefully received.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Hello,

Please check this issue with beta version.
https://forums.comodo.com/beta-corner-cis/comodo-internet-security-cis-v10005144-beta-t116138.0.html

Thanks.

Wow - thanks for the super speedy response! :slight_smile:

I’ll try the beta version and report back. The initial post in that thread mentions that a clean install is required. Is it possible to restore the firewall ruleset from a backup made with v8.4? Also, I’m guessing a straightforward uninstall will remove all components of the existing version? I know with some security products it’s best to use a dedicated uninstall utility.

Many thanks.

I think that shouldn’t pose a problem. It’s recommended that you try a default configuration though (when testing). In order to upgrade to beta version, you need to uninstall previous version.

Hope it helps.

Okay, so last night I took a backup of the firewall configuration, uninstalled version 8, installed the beta for version 10 and restored my firewall configuration (which worked without a problem). All my custom rules came back intact however in the 12 hours cmdagent.exe has been running it’s gone from an initial memory footprint of 24 MB to 64 MB, which feels like the kinda thing it usually does. Same setup as before - just the firewall and HIPS are running. No real time antivirus or auto-sandbox.

I know it’s probably different with every installation, but out of interest, how much memory would you expect cmdagent.exe to consume? :slight_smile:

All advice very gratefully received.

Thanks!

In order to narrow down this issue, please follow these steps :

  1. Get ProcDump : ProcDump - Sysinternals | Microsoft Learn
  2. For each <100-200 MB> increased, create a full dump of ‘cmdagent.exe’ process : procdump -ma cmdagent.exe
  3. Archive dumps & provide a link by PM.
    (Hint: 15-20 dumps is a good number, if possible)

Worst I’ve seen on my system was 14 MB to be honest. :slight_smile:

Thank you.

Cool - thanks again for the lightning fast response. I’ll monitor it over the next few days and use ProcDump as you’ve explained.

Worst I've seen on my system was 14 MB to be honest. :)

Nice - looks like I’m going for some kind of record. :wink:

Thanks again!

Okay, I’ve been collected dump files for the past 10 days for your viewing pleasure.

Sent you a PM. Let me know if you need anything else. :wink:

Cheers!

I’ve reported your issue. Do note that it will take some time until it gets processed, analyzed, fixed.

Thanks again for your time.

// Bug 1970

Cool, thanks a lot. So it is a bug then? Is there anything I can do in the meantime to mitigate the problem?

Also - is the big tracker publically accessible? Just curious. :slight_smile:

Thanks again for all your help.

Cheers!

Hard to say. Leaks are hard to troubleshoot, especially from user side. Sorry for any inconvenience.
I’m guessing that you could write a script that terminates the process.

Mentioned tracker is not public but you may browse known issues here:

Hope it helps.

I'm guessing that you could write a script that terminates the process.

Cool - I’ll do exactly that. And don’t worry, no need for apologies. I can imagine that debugging software like this must be a long and difficult job. :slight_smile:

Thanks again for all your help. Ranks as one of the best customer support experiences I’ve had, and for the free version of the product too!

Cheers!

Please check PM.

Thanks.

This should be fixed with Comodo Internet Security V10.0.0.6071 Beta if you are still experiencing this issue please make a reply thanks.