cmdagent.exe issue regarding extreme memory usage (with associated CPU increase)

This is a crosspost as advised by another PC techie friend of mine who stated that my issues with cmdagent.exe may not be a firewall problem (as confirmed by completely isolating my PC from connectivity), but a Defense+ problem.

https://forums.comodo.com/firewall-help-cis/cmdagentexe-extremely-high-working-set-memory-usage-t82504.0.html

My patience is wearing thin on this issue (nearly 4 months now, and with 2 seperate CIS reinstalls, issue has resurfaced), and if I dont find out why its doing this and how to solve it, I may end up using something far less troublesome.

CIS Product Version: 5.10.228257.2253
Virus Sig DB Version: 12733

Do the D+ logs bring any insight here? Can you post a screenshot of them?

Please make sure that there are no left overs of previously uninstalled security programs around. Not all uninstallers do a proper job. And left over applications, drivers or services can cause all sort of “interesting effects”.

Try using removal tools for those programs to remove them. Here is a list of removal tools for common av programs: ESET Knowledgebase .

No D+ logged events that match to each spike. It comes and goes and has not happened for months until due to work, I’m forced to revisit a subject program for a write-up.

I’m suspecting its the subject program, but even when there’s nothing running related to the program, even after a restart (even in Safe Mode), the spikes still happen.

I’m not sure whats going on, and my patience is ending. If I dont find out whats causing such spikes, I’ll be forced to use something else for PC security, because when these spikes happen, everything pretty much takes a moment for cmdagent.exe to finish its eating of my RAM only to regurgutate it again and everything’s back to normal.

If Windows is booted in Safe Mode no components of CIS will be running.If the spikes happen there something else is running the show. That could also mean that the high memory usage by cmdagent.exe may not be the cause of the slowdowns you are facing.

Do the Windows logs help us any furhter here? They can be found in Control Panel → Administrative Tools → Event Viewer → Windows Logs → System.

Its cmdagent.exe. I’ve been watching via Resource Monitor (also how I found out what was causing RAM spikes).

I’m looking at the logs now, I’ve got two suspects right now judging from the timing, one relating to Adobe Flash updater service, the other WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto Discovery service.

Will add a reply once I confirm what is showing on the logs that matches.

Nothing matches with the most recent RAM spike (just had a double in quick succession) in System logs.

I’m running out of ideas now.

EDIT: I’ve never used anything except Comodo CIS on this install. Only clean un-reinstallations to solve other issues.

EDIT 2: MATCH. WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service entered running state within the minute another cmdagent.exe RAM spike hit.

When you don’t need the WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service disable it completely from running in the Services manager. Then see if the spikes and performance hiccups reoccur or not.

The thing that strikes me as odd is that the spikes and hiccups do arise in Safe Mode as well. That takes away CIS as a suspect as no components of CIS are running in Safe Mode.

I’ll have to double check if Safe Mode observations are reliable. I did not completely check if the RAM spike was done by cmdagent or not.

Disabling the service in question does not help reduce normal PC RAM spikes however.

EDIT: does not seem to happen in Safe Mode, the RAM spike in Safe Mode coincides with me actually popping open Performance Monitor and Event Monitor, and is not as severe and does not happen as randomly as cmdagent. In fact, it does not randomly spike at all. Red herring, and my mistake. Cmdagent still spikes during normal use, as if cmdagent is scanning or doing something thats spiking RAM use, only to regurgutate it all again and it’ll repeat the process at random.

Can you think of other programs that might interfere with CIS to upset it? I am asking because this could be worth a bug report. Do you have utility software like defragment program or otherwise that you think might interfere?

The only program that has caused this issue to my knowledge is the installation of the subject program that I have had to reinstall to do a write-up on. Its the F2P game Blacklight Retribution.

In between the first and second time, I’ve had to reinstall CIS due to an unrelated issue (inabiity to remember trusted files, not remembering already-trusted files, other CIS instability) regarding a power failure and subsequent data loss on my SSD (where Windows, CIS are located).

I’ve since unninstalled it, having done my write-up, but the RAM spikes remain. I’m guessing dirty Registry or an errant file left behind by the game’s install is causing cmdagent.exe to randomly, repeatedly, and continually nom and throw up RAM.

I’ve lost my patience and will remove CIS. I will however stay on it until you have all the info you need for that bug report from me.

When mentioning game I think copyright protection. Some of them are/were known to cause stability issues. I am not familiar with the game world so I don’t know what copyright protection and how that could be completely removed.

Other than that I would be out of ideas and would like to ask you to file a bug report.

You can file a bug report in the Bug Reports - CIS board following the format as described in FORMAT & GUIDE - just COPY/PASTE it!.

Reporting of bugs is strictly moderated to make sure Comodo gets clear bug reports. So, please make sure you closely follow protocol. That way your report will certainly be seen by Comodo staff.

bug report posted, and format followed. I will continue on Comodo CIS for a couple more days, as the RAM usage spikes are not as severe for me, due to having 8GB of ram.

I have seen cases out there of people suffering the same with 4GB of ram and suffering far more performance degradation. The mere fact I’m not alone suggests that cmdagent.exe is flipflopping when faced with a certain working environment.

As much as it is fascinating (sorry, couldnt resist a Spock moment :P), I cant have it happening whilst in the middle of something heavy, like video editing, and whilst its only been a minor annoyance, its mere existence is enough for me to take drastic action and consider removing Comodo CIS until the matter is resolved.

Same issue. I have random RAM spikes up to 500mb with 100% hdd usage. And it lags everything and it is annoying as hell. This probably won’t be fixed (as it is old issue), so i came here just to whine about it, because i just had this lag spike while playing multiplayer game and it didn’t end well :slight_smile:

I am not paying costumer, so no real loss for you guys if i switch to other software.

It’s some program on your system which conflict with Def+ or even AV.

I have problem running Malwarebytes (Pro) with Comodo AV like that.

But it looks to me that you have some serious issue on which my expertise lack.

However do try version 5.12 or wait for version 6. I hope somehow that will resolve the situation maybe.