cmdagent.exe - high CPU usage (Vista x64 / Windows 7 x64)

Hi guys!

I’ve noticed that cmdagent.exe very often causes high CPU usage for some time now. I’m using it on two different PCs and both of them suffers the same problem. It seems that the antivirus module is causing this problem, because it stops (well - it seems that) when I turn the realtime scanner off.

The bug/issue

1. What you did: nothing particular. For example - I copy the whole Google Chrome profile between two PCs (from C:\Users\login\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome). When I start Chrome after copying its profile to another PC - the cmdagent.exe casues high CPU usage.
  2. What actually happened or you actually saw: cmdagent.exe causes high CPU usage quite often.
  3. What you expected to happen or see: lower CPU usage? :smiley:
  4. How you tried to fix it & what happened: I’ve turned off realtime protection of antivirus module. It seems that this could prevent cmdagent.exe from high CPU usage.
  5. If its an application compatibility problem have you tried the application fixes here?: there’s no application compatibility problem - I think.
  6. Details & exact version of any application (execpt CIS) involved with download link: for example: Google Chrome 13.0.782.11 dev-m
  7. Whether you can make the problem happen again, and if so exact steps to make it happen: copy complete Google Chrome folder from one PC to the second one. After that - start Google Chrome on second PC. When realtime protection is on - cmdagent.exe uses a lot of CPU time. Sometimes it consumes CPU with no particular reason - or at least I haven’t been able to identify what causes that.
  8. Any other information (eg your guess regarding the cause, with reasons): there’s nothing more I can say about that. :frowning:

Files appended. (Please zip unless screenshots).

1. Screenshots illustrating the bug: n/a
  2. Screenshots of related CIS event logs and the Defense+ Active Processes List: n/a
  3. A CIS config report or file. - attached
  4. Crash or freeze dump file: n/a

Your set-up

1. CIS version, AV database version & configuration used: 5.4.189822.1355; signature base version: 8990; Comodo Internet Security Premium
  2. a) Have you updated (without uninstall) from CIS 3 or 4:
    b) if so, have you tried a clean reinstall (without losing settings - if not please do)?: no - it was clean installation
  3. a) Have you imported a config from a previous version of CIS:
    b) if so, have U tried a standard config (without losing settings - if not please do)?: no - it was clean installation
  4. Have you made any other major changes to the default config? (eg ticked ‘block all unknown requests’, other egs here.):
    Antivirus Setings:

Real time

• real-time scanning - statefull
  • scan memory on start - disabled
  • automatically quarantine threats found during scanning - disabled
  • automatically update virus database - enabled
  • show alert/notification messages - enabled
  • heuristics scanning level / low
  • do not scan files larger than - 40MB
  • keep an alert on the screen for - 120 seconds

Firewall Settings:

General Settings

• Firewall Security Level - Safe Mode
  • Create rule for safe applications - disabled
  • enable IPv6 filtering - disabled

Alert Settings

• Alert frequency level - low
  • this computer is an internet connection gateway - enabled
  • enable alerts for TCP requests - enabled
  • enable alerts for UDP requests - enabled
  • enable alerts for ICMP requests - enabled
  • enable alerts for loopback requests - enabled

Advanced

• protect the ARP cache - disabled
  • block fragmented IP datagrams - enabled
  • do protocol analysis - disable
  • monitor NDIS protocols other than TCP/IP - disabled
  1. Defense+, Sandbox, Firewall & AV security levels: D+=disabled (deactivate the Defense+ permanently - enabled) , Sandbox= disabled, Firewall = Save Mode, AV = Stateful
  2. OS version, service pack, number of bits, UAC setting, & account type:
    PC1: Windows 7 Professional x64 PL, Service Pack 1, 64-bit, UAC disabled, administrator account
    PC2: Windows Vista Business x64 PC, Service Pack 1 with all newer updates, 64-bit, UAC dissabled, administrator account
  3. Other security and utility software installed: security software - none. What utility software do you mean?
  4. Virtual machine used (Please do NOT use Virtual box): no

I hope, that it will help find the sollution.

[attachment deleted by admin]

having the same problem, everytime when resuming from hibernation. even fastest computers are completely useless for about 5 minutes, when cmdagent goes into action.

now using the same version and settings that were mentioned but with xp pro.

logging was turned off, and application reinstalled (while deleting program folder and app settings folder in between). no result.

generally comodo should already at least try to fix the issue - as it persists from the very beginning of cis history. at least put the cmdagent in lower priority by default!

I am also experiencing the high CPU usage with Win 7 x64 - nothing apparent in the logs and there does not seem to be a pattern to it.

This is for BOTH CMDAGENT.EXE and CFP.EXE.

I should note that it is more often than not, CFP.EXE.

it can last anywhere from like 2mins to over 10mins. Makes it VERY difficult to use the system when it is doing this, so I hope that Comodo can come up with a fix or an update soon - otherwise I may be forced to remove it and use an alternative.

Thank you.

Same issue for me.
I was not able to identify a specific reason, however it is happening when I use internet browser a lot (namely Chrome). It happens quite frequently - at least once a day for a considerable amount of time - from one minute to several minutes. At that time computer becomes very unresponsive.
I have noticed this problem after one of the recent updates on all of my computers (both at home and work - so environments are different). I am considering rolling back to an older version if Comodo does not release a patch.

Same here on Vista 32bit.
since a few days it takes up to 10 min. until cmdagent.exe slows down.
Until then everything is blocked.
Is there a fix on the way?

Thank you for your Issue report.

Moved to verified.

Thank you

Dennis

but besides moving to verified - does comodo team plan to release any fix to the issue? the most simple one would be lovering priority of those two processes… user cannot do that since those processes are protected. there could be configuration option to slow them if one prefers to have faster pc (it is obvious that everyone would then use that feature) :slight_smile:

I would like to mention that every day it seems to be worse - each av update slows things down even more. for the past few days I have been turning off the av protection to be able to lauch any app.

I am considering switch to some other solutions. I know that it is not my personal opinion. does comodo care that the software turns to be worse and worse every day?

Please do not double post you have already posted these comments in your topic.

Thank you

Dennis

Well - using Process Explorer I’m able to change cmdagent.exe priority or affinity. But it doesn’t seem to be very helpful.

Done that too and reminded th here on the forum about the same issue I posted in another thread. I don’t think they care. And it’s not because it’s freeware. They seem to be too busy developing one product after the other. It’s sad.Certainly considering the fact that the product worked so well just b4 the last update I did.

It’s amazing how many cmdagent bugs there seem to be.

Dear Comodo Team,
Any word for users on whether to expect a fix?
I have started experiencing the issue since June when I along with the others reported it. It is September now and we haven’t seen a meaningful reply so far. Even something like “Working on it. ETA is end of September.”
I used to love and support the software and have it installed on all of my PCs which are all now impacted by the issue.
I would expect most of the affected users drop off Comodo by the end of the month if not earlier (I will, speaking of myself). Really sorry to see such a great piece of software going down the path while posting news like “Comodo Named As Double Finalist for 2011 Computing Security Awards for…” and “Comodo Wins Two Golden Bridge Awards for Information Technology Softwa…”

If you are adventurous enough to try a beta version you could try v5.8 beta and see if that brings the desired change. There may be another beta this week. There are big changes for x64 with 5.8.

I am more than willing to give it a shot.
Downloaded the version from here: https://forums.comodo.com/beta-corner-cis/comodo-internet-security-582028762065-beta-released-t75462.0.html and started the installation.
I will report my findings.

(so far the installation is suck on 5% for the last 5 minutes…)

7 days of working under 5.8 beta and no noticable performance problems so far.
Really anxios to see the final version.

This is really a dealbreaker.

Thanks for hard work Comodo Team!

A simple question. Is this bug of the high CPU usage of cmdagent.exe fixed or not ? If so why isn’t this mentioned in this thread ?

I’m afraid devs don’t always let us know when they have fixed bugs - there are fix lists but they are not very detailed.

I’m running 5.9 here on win 7 [edit x64] and have not noticed High cfp or cmdagent cpu use.

Best wishes

Mouse