cmdagent.exe freezes PC

I have had 2 occurrences where cmdagent.exe crashed and caused my PC to hang. (only able to move the mouse)

The Windows Log gives my the following information

Faulting application name: cmdagent.exe, version: 7.0.55655.4142, time stamp: 0x534eeb61
Faulting module name: cmdurlflt.dll, version: 7.0.53315.4132, time stamp: 0x5331cecc
Exception code: 0xc0000417
Fault offset: 0x00000000002112a8
Faulting process id: 0x3d0
Faulting application start time: 0x01cfe264ef2a4fa3
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cmdagent.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cmdurlflt.dll
Report Id: f3cf4637-4e58-11e4-9d4e-14dae9f494e3

and

Faulting application name: cmdagent.exe, version: 7.0.55655.4142, time stamp: 0x534eeb61
Faulting module name: cmdurlflt.dll, version: 7.0.53315.4132, time stamp: 0x5331cecc
Exception code: 0xc0000417
Fault offset: 0x00000000002112a8
Faulting process id: 0x3e4
Faulting application start time: 0x01cfe3277842e0a9
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cmdagent.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cmdurlflt.dll
Report Id: 02be2670-4f1b-11e4-ad4c-14dae9f494e3

Both times were shortly after starting the PC, starting Firefox, opening multiple tabs → HANG
Even Ctrl+Alt+Delete did not perform any action. Curious if this is a bug, or something on my end. :-\

Hey, in case you (or anybody else) hasn’t been able to figure out this odd issue, I was experiencing something similar. I noticed whenever I was running my virtual Windows machine (via VMware Player), after a few minutes, cmdagent.exe would max out my hard disk write speed. It was writing at like 50MB/s and just freezing up EVERYTHING. After about 2 minutes, the system would return to normal, but then after a while the issue repeated itself.

It was almost as if Comodo was scanning the entire contents of the guest system’s virtual hard drive (tens of GB in size). I tinkered around with the Comodo configs and I noticed the issue went away when I disabled the Viruscope tool. Specifically, Settings > Defense+ > Viruscope > Uncheck “Enable Viruscope”.

That fixed it for me. Your circumstances may be similar in that you might be running some large file in the background when the Viruscope decides to scan the entire thing.

Hope that helps.

Just thinking out loud. Does giving the OS in the VM more memory help here?

Over the past 24 hours I have the same problem (and not in a virtual system). Cmdagent is causing a huge disc load, with read speeds of up to 100M/s, and everything else more or less grinds to a halt. In between starting up Photoshop and being able to use it I have time enough to walk the dog. Disabling Viruscope has not helped any. What is cmdagent doing, and how do I stop it?

I remember having had this problem with a previous version of CIS and curing it by clearing the list of unrecognised files. But after the latest program update I can’t find that list anymore.

What happens when you add PS or its installation folder to the AV exclusions and to the exclusions of Detect shellcode injections?

Unrecognised and Trusted Files are now merged in File List. You can filter the list to see the file category you like.

It isn’t just PS, Eric. I just spent ten minutes waiting for Word to start up and found I could not really use it as each and every letter typed took sveral seconds to appear. In fact cmdagent took so much disc time that Anvir could not even update its disc activity window.

The only reason for cmdagent’s strange behaviour could be Ultradefrag which I installed a few days ago. I have now unistalled it to see what will happen. Shall let you know in due course.

I’ll have a look at the file list. Thanks for the hint.

John

At the risk of sounding stupid, but where do I find the file list, please?

John

Did uninstalling Ultradefrag make the problem go away?

Et voila: File List, Internet Protection, Comodo Internet Security | COMODO .

Yes, uninstalling Ultradefrag seems to have done the trick. Strange, though, as I had not set a scheduled defrag. I hate programs that go their own way.

File list found - it’s well hidden!

Many thanks, Eric.

John

I regret to say that cmdagent is at it again. For the past four hours it has been monopolising the C drive, with read speeds of 80 M/s up to peaks of 200 M/s. Everything, from starting up Waterfox to just opening a context menu, takes several minutes. The Anvir disc load monitor can’t keep up and refreshes only occasionally. I can’t work like this.

A study of the CIS window makes me think that cmdagent goes berserk following a virus database update. It may be scanning on its own initiative - but then a system scan doesn’t take four hours.

What is it doing? How do I stop it?

John

To see if a task is active start CIS Task Manager or cross reference with the logs. Do you have Windows running for days or weeks in a row?

Thanks for the reply, Eric.

The CIS task Manager showed no running security tasks.

I have now done some more digging around in the innards of CIS and found that it had shown unexpected initiative by turning on the quick scan at 13:00 every day - I never did that so was a bit surprised. Quick scan now turned off. It’s still going strong at the moment, though, so I’ll wait for it to finish and see if it happens again tomorrow. Shall let you know in due course.

Right now I have cmdagent reading at 81 M/s and cavwp at 40 M/s. What a combination. Lucky me. I can hardly type this.

By the way, since the max disc load generally lasted for four hours, ‘Quick scan’ would seem to be a misnomer.

John

I thought turning of the quick scan would end my troubles. It didn’t. At first cmdagent simmered down, but now, three hours later, it was at it again with mean read speed of 90 M/s for half an hour. What the **** is it doing?

John

Start Resource Monitor and let it sort CPU usage and Disk usage and see if you can cross reference high disk usage with other program’s activities?

As always make sure there are no leftovers of security programs you had installed in the past. A possible left over can cause all sort of “strange effects”. Please run clean up tools for all security programs you had in the past. A list can be found here at the Eset website: ESET Knowledgebase .

What other security programs do you have installed? Which programs run in the background alongside CIS? What happens when you add the installation folders of these programs to the AV exclusions of CIS and the installation folders of CIS to the exclusions of the other programs?

You did not answer the question if you have Windows running for longer stretches of time. If so, does rebooting ‘fix’ the issue?

Had done that already, Eric. Nothing. Cmdagent goes berserk for about a minute, then all is quiet for twenty seconds, no CPU or disc load art all, and then the cycle repeats.

I have been relying on CIS for many years now. I installed it when I bought this computer. No complaints until now.

SuperAntiSpyware, Zemana Antilogger and Ocster Backup run in the background and are set to do their thing during the night. Also Anvir and uTorrent running (but have never caused any problems before). In fact the configuration has not changed for at least a year, with the exception of Ultradefrag recently (see older post) now uninstalled. Mailwasher Pro, Filemaker 13 and Photoshop CS6 will usually be running.

Interesting question, I hadn’t thought of that yet. Shall have a look if and when the problem occurs again.

Forgot, sorry. I have Win 7 running for about a week on end. Rebooting fixes the issue - but yesterday only for an hour or so.

So far today everything is quiet - touch wood.

John

Still all peace and quiet. Has cmdagent come to its senses?

John

Keep us posted on whether adding Super Antipwyare and Mailwasher Pro to the exclusions of the AV of CIS and vice versa makes a difference or not.

This is a tough nut to ■■■■■… :-\

It has taken some time, bit I think I now know why cmdagent goes berserk. It only happens when I am running uTorrent and downloading one or more large files. Apparently cmdagent is not satisfied with checking the incoming packets but rescans each file entirely as soon as a new packet is added to it. Imagine the effect when downloading a series of files of over 1 G each.
I have added the uTorrent download directory to the exceptions, but to no effect. The problem remains.

Unfortunately cavwp now also goes berserk at times. It takes a steady 25% of processor time, ehich makes the computer sluggish. Sometimes, when I have left the computer alone ofr an hour or so, I find that I can hardly even move the mouse cursor. On closer inspection (which under the circumstances takes about ten minutes) Taskmgr shows not one but three instances of cavwp running, taking 50% and twice 24% of processor time. Add the cmdagent disc load of 100% and the only solution is a reboot using the big red reboot button.

I have always liked CIS, but its sytem load is getting a bit much these days.

Do you have Do protocol analysis enabled?

Protocol analysis is disabled, Eric.

uTorrent is working normally and states that my connection is functioning like it should. There are no firewall or sandbox alerts. I think it’s just the AV component that doesn’t know when enough is enough.