Cloned credit card

I’ve been using Comodo for approx. 1yr, during which time suffered errors from new builds, but what concerned me the most was my credit card has now been cloned three times in the past two months. HSBC yesterday informed me it was while making an online transaction, the only one I’d made that day was via Amazon. I used Comodo Kiosk with virtual keyboard, whether it was either fault I do not care, but when you loose faith in something that’s it - well at least in my mind! >:(

I think the most likely thing that has happened here is some worker for Amazon, the person/people you brought from or even the netbank stole your payment details, this has happened to me a number of times in the past, in one case the thief had the cheek to order stuff online using my stolen details and also used my bank details to do a direct debit at same time, lost almost all my money from my bank, had to fight to get it back, but none of this was the fault of Comodo, Mozilla, Microsoft or any other software I use to get online :slight_smile:

Please don’t think it is Comodo’s lack of protection, seem to me is like what I said, you brought something online and someone at the other end copied and stole your details, then used the data to buy items fraudulently or sold this data to third parties to clone your card, this is more likely then Comodo let you down :slight_smile:

a Phishing page for amazon

[attachment deleted by admin]

Sadly phishing scams are a very real, and rampant, online danger which essentially very little can be done about. At the moment the internet is definitely default-allow. There’s currently no technology I’m aware of which in any way resembles default-deny protection from scams like this. You just have to be very very careful about who you give your credentials to.

For some ways of protecting yourself from most of these scams please see my article about How to Tell If A Website Is Dangerous.

Use pre-paid cards…

Did your bank ask you about your security set up? Were there any leads or suggestions that the security of your computer was to blame?

In fall 2011I was called by my bank about a transaction they had flagged, which was mode shortly after another transaction made by me, and got refused. It told them both were done by me. When asked about security measures I took I told them my baseline security with Windows and programs up to date with an up to date security suite. That set their minds to rest.

Last September I got called as they flagged two small odd payments an hour ago. I confirmed that could not have been done by me and told them my last transaction was three weeks ago; it was confirming the booking of a hotel by credit card. They sent me a new credit card. No questions were asked this time about my security set up.

This is to show that credit card system is a leaky system. Anybody in a shop, restaurant, hotel or website where you ever paid could have leaked that information. I have more trust in the current debit card system with chip we use on the continent.

I have no reason to believe that your cc problems are due to using Comodo Firewall or Internet Security Suite. I will change the topic title to a more appropriate title.

Man… You really unlucky… Well errors happen with all products time to time esp new releases…

Here it’s not a good idea to blame the security product… You need to blame yourself mate… The security product is never 100% and can’t protect you against everything…

First do you use secure DNS which filter out phishing sites? For you I recommend OpenDNS top service in such protection. Second do you check the authenticity of the web-site when you buy things online? (that can be simple GUI mistakes, URL, if it’s verified by somebody/secure connection?) You should.

As I always say in order to be secure you need to have a security awareness and you should always use layered security while using CIS so you need a secure DNS (OpenDNS), good browser which checks secure connection/verification of the web-site (CD), maybe use things like Trusteer Rapport but I don’t think that the free version supports Amazon site, etc.

But there is always a risk… The best advice I can give? Stay alert when you use any bank card online and double check everything…