Clean-Up Tool for Comodo Internet Security (OLD)

many words… unfortunatley the script is not working.

tried to uninstall v3.14 today. did not work proper.

tried the script here… did not work either.

have run the script as admin 5-6 timnes with a reboot after executing the script.
still i get the message when i try to reinstall comodo that there is an old version on my PC.

my registry has 3 entrys left im not allowed to delete manually.
no comodo folder on my hardisk.

good job comodo!!!
coding a firewall but not able to code a proper uninstall routine!! 88)
that let you think twice if the protection is worth anything…

You are foolish to blame Comodo for registry keys that stay behind,
that is all part of the wonderful experience that is Windows.

If you read my post dated February 18, 2010, 06:52:53 AM in this same topic,
you will find a link I provided to a tool that cured far more than your 3 keys,
I had 2000 keys that could not be deleted until I took ownership by using that tool.

If that does not work for you, then you should stipulate the exact keys that are stuck.
Just grumbling that “it does not work” will not get much specific advice.

Please note that it is unrealistic to expect any software to remove any registry keys that are beyond your manual control.

Alan

maybe your have problems understanding the problem as you completely missed the point.

im not concerned about 3 registry entrys or any registry entrys left over from uninstalled software as long as they don´t produce errors.
im concerned that the comodo uninstall routine is not working and that is why i can not REINSTALL comodo.

still i get the message when i try to reinstall comodo that there is an old version on my PC.

that is the important point in my reply.

now i ask you… who is to blame for that?

i did not know many software were i have to manually clean the registry to be able to reinstall them.
do you?

im not the only one having this problems after reading this forum and google.

so maybe the coders are inapt but im sure not foolish.

Please note that it is unrealistic to expect any software to remove any registry keys that are beyond your manual control.

you missed the point in my message…

Hi Guys, I need to strip out CIS 4 completely. I cannot read completely through this thread, if someone can kindly let me have link or attach the latest clean up tool and point me to any directions…if it is not the version at the start of this thread from a few months ago. Many thanks indeed.

I am not aware of anything to purge CIS 4.
The tools in this topic were developed for CIS 3, and may do a good job on CIS 4.

I suggest you spend time reading the whole topic.
The cleanup tools MAY work first time, but not if things go wrong with Windows and permission issues,
and additional measures may be appropriate.

The tool at the start assumes that everything it deletes is actually deleted,
and ignores any Windows error conditions about files in use etc.

I posted a tool based on removing the same items,
but it takes longer and warns of any “frozen” items that Windows refuses to lose,
so then you can take ownership and fix them.
You will find the tool by searching for
“Reply #31 on: January 28, 2010, 04:34:29 PM”

Alan

thanks, may it works

Couldnt download from 2shared.
But now i regged here and can download it from here.
Thanks, i hope it works :slight_smile:

I updated the link with a new megaupload on that is part of my megaupload account, should make it easier for people to use.

I found this thread long and confusing, then when I found the most recent link to the uninstall script just above (Thanks languy99) - I get to the page and it tells me “sorry this service is temporarily unavailable in your area” :frowning:

So some more Google searching and I found this link:

Simple instructions on one page (not a long thread) and a link to Ragwing’s script (Thank you sir!) that works for me.

I followed the instructions and version 4 went in like a dream.

And to save those who come after 2 minutes :slight_smile: :

To create a system restore point: click Start, and then click Help and Support. Click Performance and Maintenance, click Using System Restore to undo changes, and then click Run the System Restore Wizard.

Ragwing started this topic with a 3 KB zip cleanup tool in March 2009.
I believe that is what Tracy@worldoweb has published.

It appears to me that Languy99 has now published a 40% larger and more comprehensive version via MegaUpload.

The Good :- Congrats on finding and removing additional residues.

The Bad :- Is MegaUpload one of the up to 114,000 sites that have have been compromised by a recent SQL injection attack upon sources of adverts ?
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9177904/Mass_Web_attack_hits_Wall_Street_Journal_Jerusalem_Post

I have no account so I used the FREE download which made me wait for 45 seconds whilst it displayed adverts;
I waited, but there were no adverts.
After a 45 second countdown the “Regular Download” button was available.
After “due diligence” I clicked “Regular Download” and the Firefox Download manager immediately started to receive what I was waiting for,
and at that very same instant I noticed a new icon appear on the task bar -
another instance of Firefox which was hidden behind the original.

Unwanted pop-ups can be easily seen and avoided.
Launch of a new minimised instance of Firefox that is connected to a Poker gambling site and is connecting/downloading additional stuff from some other site is rather less obvious.

MegaUpload wasted 45 seconds in which they could have shown me adverts,
and then connected me to a Poker gambling site that then connected somewhere else.

A very inefficient way of selling an advert to me.
A very effective way of downloading a bit of unwanted malware at the same time that I am getting the download I wanted.

Within one second I saw the new icon on the task bar, clicked on the icon and saw what it was.
I instantly used the icon context menu to close before it could complete its additional connections.

Had I not observed the icon appear on the taskbar I would not have seen the hidden advert with its extra connections.
Had I been waiting for something far larger than a 4 KB zip download the hidden advert could have completed its extra connections.

I do not trust any unexpected behaviour. When in doubt I assume the worse.

Questions :-

Is there any reason why I should know that the above behaviour is NEVER dangerous ?

Is this MegaUpload site perfectly safe when exhibiting this illogical and apparently dangerous behaviour ?

Am I still safe from clickjacking etc if I click a taskbar icon and use the icon context menu to close the executable, or should I select via Alt Tab and then close with Ctrl’X ?
(I believe clicking within a Firefox page is vulnerable, and possibly the top right corner “close” button might be subverted.)

Alan

added another like for people who are paranoid :wink: about using megaupload

Thanks for the new link.
No nasty surprises, and no Captcha to negotiate.

Alan

The easiest way to remove CIS is to remove it on two parts.First, in the CIS folder there is a tool for add/remove components.If you remove the firewall first, then the removing of the AV and leftover files becomes easy.:)) There’s no need of special tools IMO.:))

Sorry guys but after 3 hours I have to throw in the towel and find another firewall software. :cry:

Went down the usual route where I received a pop-up for the update to v4. The update failed with the 1603 error but by this stage Comodo had uninstalled the previous version so there was nothing for Revo to get its teeth into. Tried the batch file, (rebooted, run batch file, rebooted, run batch file) didn’t work… so ended up doing a system restore.

This time it should be easy, turn on windows firewall, run Revo to uninstall v3 and to get rid of all traces of Comodo, install v4. Job done!..nope, once again it gets to installing kernell …something or other… and then rolls back and fails.

You would think a simple uninstall and re-install (Revo is much more than a simple uninstall) should be enough but it just won’t do it. No offence to you guys who can write scripts and the rest of it as you must have the patience of a saint when it comes to buggy programs but if a program can’t manage a simple update or even cope with a complete uninstall and re-install then I have to move on.

WinXP SP3 not that it should matter.

I do not think you gave Revo a fair chance.

It is better to NOT uninstall and expect Revo to take care of the residuals.

It is better to first launch Revo and tell Revo what to uninstall,
and that allows Revo to watch and observe what is being removed,
so that when removal is finished then Revo knows what has actually been removed,
and has a better idea of what related files / folders / keys should also be taken out.

Alan

I think we may have crossed wires here. Having used system restore, I had Comodo v3 back again and available for Revo to uninstall. It would be nice if Revo could go hunting for anything with ‘Comodo’ in the name AFTER uninstalling Comodo but I don’t think Revo does that (I’ve looked but can’t see anything).

Having used Revo to uninstall Comodo V3 I then sent it sniffing for any remains, I removed EVERYTHING that Revo found in the registry with COMODO in it but clearly it didn’t get everything.

I recently used Revo to uninstall Firefox when that went belly up on me and it could not be uninstalled by its own program. Revo did the job perfectly so I don’t have a problem with Revo but I do have a problem with COMODO that can’t handle a complete Revo uninstall (V3) and re-install (V4).

Have now switched to Online Armour as I’ve read that there are quite a few people suffering from this 1603 error.

Thanks, the bat file worked wonders! I was finally able to install the latest version of CIS

Worked for me. Thank you so much

Oops meant to reply to my old post :-[

you have to go into safe mode not diagnostic mode. When windows is restarting tap F8 and go into safe mode. Then try running the tool from there. Also make sure to right click on the tool and run as administrator.