CIS won't do software or virus database updates

I have been using CIS on two machines at home for many months without problems and my daughter uses it successfully on a laptop away at university. ;D :-TU

I recommended CIS to my brother-in-law and sister-in-law and they installed 3.13.126709.581 on a desktop and a laptop both running Vista. The laptop works without problems but the desktop has never sucessfully downloaded the up-to-date virus database and gets an error 106 when checking for a software update. :-TD

I have just spent most of the afternoon with my in-laws trying to resolve the problem. I downloaded 3.14.130099.587 manually and installed it after un-installing the previous version. However, still no updates on their desktop PC.

Please can anyone suggest how this problem might be diagnosed and resolved. ???

Thanks

Can you post screenshots of the Global Rules and Firewall logs of the desktop computer?

When trying to do a clean install consider this clean up tool. Run it after uninstalling and subsequent reboot.

I will get my sister-in-law to do the necessary screenshots.

Please can you confirm the commands in CIS to display the screens you are requesting.

Are you recommending we un-install CIS, use the clean-up tool and re-install regardless of what you might detect from the screenshots?

Thanks for your help. :-TU

I gave the uninstall instructions just in case you wanted to try a clean installation. Let’s wait for the screenshots first.

Sorry but I need instructions for how to get to the screens you want to see. :-[

Thanks

No problem.

For the firewall logs go to Firewall → Common Tasks → View Firewall Events.
For the Defense + logs go to Defense + → Common Tasks → View Defense + Events.

How to post a screenshot?

To copy a screenshot of the active window push alt+print screen to copy the active window to the clipboard (pushing print screen will copy the complete window to the clipboard not just the active window). The window is now copied to the clipboard. Paste the image in any image editing program, Paint, Paint.net, the Gimp etc. Use the “crop” function to resize the canvas to size of the image. Now save the file as 32 bits png image.

At the forum push the reply button. Or when using the Quick reply type some text and push the preview button.

Underneath the text box click on Additional options. Push the Choose button and navigate to the file and select it. When you want to post more images click on the more attachments link.

When done typing push the Post or Preview button.

I’m Mahala’s brother-in-law, sending the screenshot as requested.
These two attachments do not show very much, but I hope they are of some help.
Thanks in anticipation. :smiley:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hi soley. Welcome to the forums.

Can you tell me what is the version number of CIS on the affected computer? Look under Miscellaneous → About. At the same place can you tell me what database version number it reports.

On what type of connection are you?

Hi
The version number on the computer is 3.14.130099.587 and the database version number is 0. I am on a Bt internet broadband connection, wired.
Hope that is of help.
:-TU

There are two solutions that do this:

Both of them will get the latest full AV database. After the reboot you will have to get the latest incremental updates; usually that is only several hundreds of kBytes.