CIS system tray icon disappears

I’m currently running XP Pro SP3 with CIS v3.5.57173.439, virus signature database v771.

Every so often, the CIS system tray icon disappears. When I check Task Manager, the cfp.exe file is no longer there. I have checked the Event logs with nothing mentioned about the process being stopped.

When the CIS system tray icon disappears, can I assume that “I have no protection??”.

Is there a log or dump file associated with CIS that I can access and/or submit?

No. cfp.exe is the CIS GUI. Is cmdagent.exe still running? That is what CIS uses to monitor your PC.

:slight_smile:

cmdagent.exe is still running!

Is this a bug, as the CIS GUI disappears? Can the process be restarted w/o rebooting?

Is there a log or dump file associated with CIS that I can access and/or submit?

Have you tried a reinstall?
Check to make sure cfp.exe is starting on boot (start > run > msconfig.exe > startup)
Also, this is a long shot, but in:
Defense+ > Advanced > Computer Security Policy there should be a group of executables called “COMODO Internet Security”. Right click, “edit”, go to “protection settings” and make sure “process terminations” and “inter process memory accesses” are enabled.

cmdagent.exe is still running!

Is this a bug, as the CIS GUI disappears? Can the process be restarted w/o rebooting? YES

Have you tried a reinstall? NO – CIS problem occurred on 2 different machines.
Check to make sure cfp.exe is starting on boot (start > run > msconfig.exe > startup) YES – noticed ‘command string’ = “C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cfp.exe” -h What’s the -h?
Also, this is a long shot, but in:
Defense+ > Advanced > Computer Security Policy there should be a group of executables called “COMODO Internet Security”. Right click, “edit”, go to “protection settings” and make sure “process terminations” and “inter process memory accesses” are enabled. CORRECT!

If cfp.exe did crash, a log would usually be in C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security

-h is a command line to activate the “hidden” ability of the GUI. It’s a default setting so that you don’t see the CIS GUI / splash screen on each boot-up.

Did the Diagnostics (GUI > Miscellaneous > Diagnostics) find any errors?

Hello this may be the Issue with tray icons in Windows XP that Microsoft has never fixed.

As per a prior discussion, Kyle, it is an issue with Windows as I have experienced the same also.
Diagnostics will not show any errors, as the fault is with how Windows handles its services.

I have XP SP2. Is that why I never have this problem? :THNK

I don’t think so as I’m running SP3 without any problems. (:WIN)

LA

Well then how can some declare it a Microsoft bug? :THNK

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/01/04/system-tray-icon-missing-from-system-tray-in-windows-xp/

There are many different “Theories” Just google; Missing tray icons windows XP

Did the Diagnostics (GUI > Miscellaneous > Diagnostics) find any errors? NO

So, this is an issue with XP and if ‘cfp.exe’ doesn’t crash, I’m still being protected, right??
Can I assume that if ‘BLOCK ALL mode’ checked, the (CIS GUI disappears), connections are really blocked until I relaunch ‘COMODO Internet Security’ and set ‘BLOCK ALL mode’ UNchecked’?

Correct.
As long as cmdagent.exe is running, it will all be blocked.

:slight_smile:

It should be noted that only all incoming connections are blocked while cfp.exe isn’t running. This easily verifiable, otherwise you couldn’t use the internet like browse.