CIS Settings Upgrade

Hi,

this is something that is bothering me since i think CIS 6, but it’s not that important…
When I upgrade to a new Version (it doesn’t mather if I install the new Version over the old or if I uninstall and then install) all of my settings get lost. I also tried export and import with no luck. It is not that big off a Problem I know my settings and I can redo them but it takes about 20 min to do so, so I thought maybe there is a better way. I need the Firewall and AV settings, sorry but if you leave the default Firewall settings there is no need for installing the Firewall because everything comes out, for the AV I have a exclusion list and that takes most of the time to redo…
What am I doing wrong? How to get my settings into the new Version without doing it by hand?

Thanks

LordRayden

Hi LordRayden,
Are you remembering to activate the newly imported configuration profile?
To change the active configuration profile-Comodo Help

Kind regards.

Hi,

If you upgrade from for example version 7 to version 8 (without uninstalling first) then it may switch back to the default config, however you should still be able to find your old config in Advanced Settings > User Interface > Configuration and from there right-click the old one and click Activate. The old config should be named something along the lines of “[Previous name] Version updated from” so for example “Sanyas config 7.x.x.xxx” or something like that.

I think this is how it works, in program updates within major version (for example 8.1 to 8.2) retains config and in program updates between different major versions (for example 7.2 to 8.2) may set the config to a default config.

Downloading the installer for the newer version and running that to do an update may or may not always set a default config (not sure about it)

Uninstall and installing new version will remove old configs.

If you want to uninstall and reinstall but keep your config then you need to export your config prior to uninstalling it and then keep it in a safe place, then uninstall and reinstall CIS, then go into the advanced settings and import the config file you exported and then right-click it and click “Activate”

Hi,

yes did that, no luck.
I tried a lot of things, at one point I thought that there is maybe something in the registry so I saved the registry before the upgrade and imported the *.reg file after the upgrade. Let me put it like this “didn’t go well”. I also tried to save the *.cfgx files before the Upgrade and then restore them after the Upgrade, also didn’t go well… What I don’t understand is, if I Install the new version over the old, how come that the settings get lost. Hell even Windows keeps my settings after a Upgrade. Since nobody else has that problem it must be something that I am doing, but what…

Thanks

LordRayden

hi Sanya IV Litvyak,

yes you are right there are the entries from the previous version and I can click activate but nothing happens, I still have the default settings. Also the export and import doesn’t work. I can export the settings, install the new version, import the settings and activate them and I still have the default settings. I explained it to myself that trough the version change there is also a settings change(being expanded) so the new version can’t work with the old settings but if that is the case, what is the point of the export/import function.

As I said it is not that important, i just thought somebody had an Idea…

Thanks

LordRayden

You should be able to activate a config file from a previous version, my config file has been built on since 7.x and it’s now being used in 8.2, old settings in the config file will continue to be what it was before, deprecated settings will simply not be enforced since there is nothing to enforce and new settings will be set to their defaults (although new rules and file groups may or may not be added)

Are you sure that your old config doesn’t get activated when you click activate? Or does it get activated but shows the default settings? In that case it may be the config that was saved with default settings for whatever reason, otherwise if the config just doesn’t activate at all then it could be an issue with either the config or installation that stops it from working.

To be honest, I don’t know if it gets activated and shows the default settings or if doesn’t get activated at all, fact is all I see are the default settings. I doubt that the config file contains only the default settings because I’am always making a new export (when trying), I don’t have a old file which I always import. If I have to upgrade and I want to try it again, I make a fresh export. That would have to mean that every time I’m doing an export something goes wrong (on the other hand, I’ve seen stranger things happen on a PC). This is a behavior a had in WIN 7, 8.1 and now 10(maybe even on Xp I don’t remember anymore, I used the Sygate Firewall for a long time, then it “dumped” into the Keiro Firewall which was not that good).

I guess I will have to accept the fact that on my PC it just doesn’t work, not such a big deal.
I will try it from time to time when I have to upgrade or reinstall…

Thanks

LordRayden

Hi LordRayden,
Your active configuration shows active in the status column.
As a test try exporting your active configuration and the importing it back in renaming test or similar.
Then try to activate your imported configuration to see if your settings stick.
Manage CIS Configurations-Comodo Help

Kind regards.

Hi captainsticks,

will try that and post the results but not now. If it goes wrong I will have to do the whole config again and “I just don’t feel like it now” ;D ;D ;D

Thanks

LordRayden

OK, since it’s 3AM, I can’t sleep and there is nothing on TV I did the following:
I exported the “active” settings, then I activated a other setting (randomly), then I deleted the previously “active” and exported setting, then I imported the setting and activated it. Long story short, I have to do all my settings again because I’m back to default…

Just a thought, could it have something to do with the fact that my drive is encrypted?

Thanks

LordRayden