CIS really slow

After installing CIS 5.5.195 etc not long ago, my XP Pro system has really slowed down to a crawl. It can take 30 seconds or longer after clicking on a file before anything happens. Same with emails and also when scanning a file. I have disabled automatic anti-virus scanning and Defense + and that helps, though it still seems like things are slower than before. No other anti-virus products are running. Is this normal behaviour for CIS and is there anything that can be done to improve it? Having to run it with everything disabled seems kind of pointless. Any tips would be much appreciated.

Can you see if the problem is just the AV, just D+ or a combination of both?

May be left overs of previously installed security programs are in the way. Please make sure none of them are no longer present.

Try using removal tools for those programs to remove them. Here is a list of removal tools for common av programs: ESET Knowledgebase .

Did you recently install an application that interferes with networking or acts as a security application of any kind?

Thanks for your reply. Defense + is definitely the main culprit. With it set to Safe mode, my system is practically unusable. With it disabled things are still noticeably slower, but within acceptable margins.

In the past I have had different AV products installed and I currently have some stuff I’m not using that might or might not have an effect. I’m working my way through it all but that’s a long and uncertain process. Other than Defense + I haven’t found anything yet. Zone Alarm and AVG cleaners didn’t make any difference.

Are you Dutch? Your user name and email address seems to suggest so. I am from the Netherlands.

I assume you disabled D+ by moving down the slider in Defense + Settings. See what happens when ticking Deactivate Defense+ permanently(Requires a system restart).

It looks like there may be an incompatibility problem with an application on your system. Do the Windows logs and D+ logs (View Defense +Events) bring any insight here?

@EricJH: Sorry for the delayed response. Yes, I’m Dutch. I disabled D+ via the context menu. I have checked Comodo and Event logs but don’t see anything unusual. Email client is also slow to open initially. Can’t find anything in the settings to influence this behaviour.

My system is highly customised, running Tor, Polipo, etc. so it could be almost anything. It’s a real pain and I will have to continue tinkering with it when I have the time and inclination, but I can’t spend days and days trying to work through every possibility. I appreciate your attempts to help but I have other demands on my time and I just can’t devote that much of it to trying to get this to work. What I can tell you is that I didn’t have this problem with an earlier version of CIS, only after I installed the current one. I didn’t upgrade but uninstalled the old version first. Sorry, don’t remember offhand which version that was. I’ll let you know if I find out anything else.

If you have the time see what happens when Deactivating Defense + permanently as described in the above. When doing that one more function of D+ gets disabled. It would be interesting to know if that plays a role or not.

Thanks very much. That does seem to have helped. I haven’t analysed this properly but here is my impression of what appears to be happening:

With default setup enabled, everything slows way down. If I click on anything, there is a long delay of many seconds before I get any kind of response. It also takes forever before directory files get listed by my file manager. If I disable Defense + and automatic Antivirus scanning from the taskbar, things speed up but are still noticeably slower than normal. Also, the first time I click on an email it takes several seconds to appear. After that email behaviour is normal. If I try to virus scan a file manually, it takes a very long time before there is any response at all and then a much longer time before a result appears.

With Defense + permanently disabled, things improve though not completely. I still get delayed responses but not as bad. The big difference I notice is that if Defense + is not permanently disabled, then I get delayed response times even if both D+ and the virus scan are disabled from the context menu. With D+ permanently disabled, I still get a slow response if the anti-virus is set to On Access or Stateful, but response times are normal if Anti-virus is also disabled. Then if I do a manual scan of a file, response time is also normal.

This isn’t great, but for me it is at least acceptable. Firewall appears to work fine, and that is my main concern. Anti-virus is also okay, as long as I keep it set to manual. This way I can check individual files as needed and still do regular system scans.

The computer I use for browsing isn’t state-of-the-art. The processor is a P4 running at about 3 ghz with around 1 gig of RAM. Still, I wouldn’t think Comodo should affect it as badly as this. However, when configured as described it works well enough for my purposes.

Nogmaals bedankt.

When using the permanently disable D+ setting you will also disable the injection of guard32.dll in each and every process.

You can try to disable only the guard32.dll. As a result you will get some more alerts from D+. That may give a nice balance between speed and security. You can disable this with Autoruns.

It looks like the injection of guard32.dll is causing a problem with one of the applications you have installed.

If you have the time and energy please consider filing a bug report in the Bug Reports - CIS board following the format as described in FORMAT & GUIDE - just COPY/PASTE it!.

Reporting of bugs is strictly moderated to make sure Comodo gets clear bug reports. So, please make sure you closely follow protocol. That way your report will be seen by Comodo staff.