CIS is consuming major CPU

So I just installed CIS on a new computer with Win 10 and the process cavwp.exe is constantly using between 40-70% CPU. I dont know what this process does but I have had to terminate it. Is this an important process and why is it using this much? It has not done that on my other computers. I can’t continue to use CIS if it continues blasting my CPU :frowning: please help

It is the av module, check to make sure it is not doing an AV update or schedule scan when you see high cpu, use the open task manger task of CIS to check.

I too have discovered this problem. I have a large number of image files that are stored on my E: drive. These are accessed and edited when using Adobe Lightroom. I have an old copy on my Older D: drive and a back-up of the LRoom catalogue. These are waiting for me to install a back-up drive before deletion. Trouble is cavwp.exe is shown as accessing all of these images in process manager even though I did not access the D: drive at all. When I copied files from the E: drive onto a back-up drive the D:drive was being accessed through out the operation by cavwp.exe and the transfer doubled in time to 4 hrs.

Can anyone help stop this happening and is it possible to “whitelist” these files to stop CIS accessing them all the time.

You need to add the driver’s path to the Excluded Paths to exclude them from being scanned by the real time scanner.

I guess you mean the drive path ie D:

That is not a good solution as it would stop downloads etc to the D drive being checked.

Why would this process be checking files I am not even accessing. Surely this is a fault with this part of the CIS program.

It could be caused by Windows search indexing or any other process accessing those files, are you sure cavwp is scanning files on the D:\ volume? Use resource monitor disk tab and check the box for cavwp.exe

I have C: drive with the operating system D: with general data files, word excel and some images E: with my main image files and Lightroom catalogues.
On the D: drive there is an old lightroom catalogue and some image files. These are an archive back-up and not accessed by Lightroom or any other programs. They have been scanned umpteen times by CIS.

I have checked using Process monitor. When I use Lightroom or Photoshop for some reason every now and then CAVWP.exe starts up and slows everything down. It only stops when I shut the pc down. It will keep running for hours if I walk away and leave it. I am unable to find exactly what triggers this behavior but it is making the PC un-useable.

You need to use resource monitor not process monitor, so that you can see every process that is either reading or writing to those files. You should make sure it is not the full scan running on a schedule.

Sorry I did mean Process Monitor not Resource Monitor.

I have cleared all the lightroom files from my D: Drive to a back-up and checked that the lightroom catalogue is correctly sited. I have updated Lightroom and CAVWP is still taking up all my processor resources and checking all of lightroom files.

I have attached screen shots of the Process Monitor

I have checked the Anti-virus and as far as I can see no scans are scheduled or active.

Hi

Sorry thought I had been using Process Monitor but it was Resource Monitor, Guess I should look harder.
Tried to download and use Process Monitor but Way, Way over my head. I don’t even understand what to look for.

I don’t understand why the Anti-virus needs to keep checking existing lightroom files, so I suppose the only answer, for someone at my level of expertise, is to try an alternative Anti-virus and ditch Comodo.

You are running a scan either from a schedule or manual scan and which you have sent it to the background hence the background priority.

I have checked the program. There are no tasks set up. No scans set up. No scans running and the last scan was 8th November 2018. so how do I stop this happening. Is this a re-install type of job?

Just check the log and there are no events that coincide with any of this activity. Apart from installing Process monitor and an update check by HIPs there have been no events at all logged today.