CIS install nightmare, errors, BSOD, network adapters corruption, etc, etc

OS Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Have been using CIS for years and have installed it on many computers. WAS my favorite firewall suite. Used version 5.3.45685.1236 since it was released and decided to accept the update notification. When I rebooted all the CIS apps windows and notification pop ups were blank. Decided to do a system restore and uninstall v5.3 first before updating to CIS 7.0.5 from a downloaded file. Wasn’t possible because I was requested to detect the CIS_setup .msi . Not having kept a copy of the original file I thought I didn’t have it. I later discovered that it was still on my computer hidden in ProgramData. Decided to contact GeekBuddy (do not recommend paying for their services, which leaves very much to be desired) and consult before proceeding. They sent me a link of a bat file that supposedly would uninstall my CIS installation prior to installing the latest version. What a disaster, the uninstall was one of the worst I have ever seen, not only because it failed to uninstall v5.3.4 which remained as an uninstall option in Programs & Features, it totally crashed my network cards leaving me without an internet connection. Fortunately, uninstalling the adapters from Device Manager and rebooting restored my network adapters. Contacted GeekBuddy again because I had installed their app which failed to launch and they insisted that without it they could not help. After 4 sessions with them, which on 2 occasions whoever I was chating with simply disappeared, I realized I was wasting my time. Very reluctant to allow these guys to remotely control my computer.

I decided to go ahead and install CIS 7.0.5 despite my difficulty in uninstalling CIS 5.3.4 The installation was aborted after 78% with error: “Cannot install COMODO Internet Security. Error:2. The system cannot find the file specified”. Using Revo Uninstaller I was able to eliminate all of the remnants of CIS on my computer. Rebooted, tried to install CIS 7.0.5 again with full Admin privileges and received the same Error 2. At a loss as to what to try next I decided to revert to the installation of version 6 with the same result. Then I tried v5.3.1 which at least successfully completed the install process. When I rebooted I was greeted by a BSOD. Great. Rebooted again and managed to perform a system restore. Miss not having Comodo anymore :frowning:

¿ Is there a MSI or portable version installer available ?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Having the exact same problem. I’m using Window 7 Pro though. It corrupted my network adapter too. Trying to do a restore now. ■■■■ BSOD just popped up. After the restore a Comodo dialog box came up but it was empty except for a red X and yes and no buttons then the BSOD.

I empathize w/ your travails 101.3749% (having been through them myself).

The prollem is that the upgrade migration from pre v6.x to v7.0.x is fraught with difficulties. 88)

Its never a good idea to update through major version upgrades. The Win95 upgrade to Win98 SE was irritatingly similarly fraught; Win98 SE clean install worked flawlessly though. 88)

If there are issues with upgrade and the uninstall either previously or subsequently becomes extremely obtuse then the GeekPal uninstall tool is the only option. I pray for all of you thus fraught that you’ve exported your config previous to endeavoring to climb to Comdodo base camp IV w/ out supplemental oxygen. Hopefully the lot of y’all are learned your lesson: Thou shalt export your configs, for IF thou shaint, thou wilt wail, gnasheth their teeth, clothe themselves with burlap and bathe in ash all but for naught. Thou will starteth over on thine path of config rulemakething.

When the CIS uninstall faileth and the boot faileth likewise with the evil red X of CIS death evident, then one must enter the Windows abode of safety and disable the CIS from within the inner sanctum of such safety.

I believe the prollem becomes 'cause all the stuff that goes on during the initial re-boot, i.e., post-update. Yep: stuff, i.e., services that have been changed, and service service hostig, et ali, etc. and what not. In my mind its not a surprise that v5.x to v7.x.7 has issues given that fundamental services and functinality of pre-existing services have changed.

Am I the only one running PIII Tualatin-S w/ 3x512MB PC-133 SDRAM CPU/SDRAM O/C’d 12% that understands this?

Once CIS service(s) ha(s)ve been disabled during boot can the uninstall have 1/2 a chance to succeed. After the uninstall one must thus perform the ritual of banishment to dispense the evil ghost of CIS w/ in the machine. This is done by invoking the Spirit of Harmony at the command prompt and executing the GeekPal uninstaller tool. That pretty much will get rid of CIS down to the sub-atomic level; but CIS may still exist w/ in sub-space. There are several entries in the registry bee-hive that may not have necessary security permissions for the administrator account to delete; banishing those entries to the Lake of Oblivion shall require the super-adamistrator Administrator privileges.

Eradicating the evil demon CIS from sub-space is only important if it is actually found to be living there. IF after running the GeekPal uninstaller tool, and having sacrificed the black chicken of sufficient shade gray as appeasing offerment, and it is determined the evil demon CIS actually does reside in the sub-space of one’s registry beehive, then said evil chicken’s spirit must be erradicated from its domicile.

The sub-space domicile of the black evil chicken of CIS lives in registry entries other than HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root[b]LEGACY_CMD[/b]-bla-bla-bla

Just do a ‘find’ in the registry for Comodo. If the first thing it finds is reference to a key having LEGACY_CMD-bla-bla-bla in the key-name, not much to worry 'bout; I don’t think those guys are all that big of a deal; LEGACY_INSPECT is a component of the Comodo Ghost in the Machine.

The big deal is the evil overbearing doorway-darkening evil demon that the ‘find’ finds with some path in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. IF that is found, there’s going to be 'bout 18 of those in addition the other 6 or 7 minor insignificant minor help-demons in the LEGACY domain I already mention.

To banish forever more those evil demons, sub-demons, and evil-demon sub-demon helper-demons, its all the same: activate the super-adminstrator Administrator privilege by granting the ‘everyone’ entry in Group or Owner name’ the full-control access. Click apply. Then click the ‘advanced’ button.

In the window that appears, tick the bottommost tick box and then untick it. As soon as you tick that, the ‘apply’ button will activate. Now you untick the bottommost box and then click the ‘apply’ button. Now you should be able to delete the parent key. If not, then you have to do the same deal I just described for all the children, and then you can delete the parent. I only found that to be a prollem once. But it was a prollem and I had to do that.

:o

Really.

You absolutely have to get rid of CIS first and foremost. Next it is imperative to establish functionality of the TCP/IP stack. It should work. If it does not, then the following should be facilitateagenssive:

TCP/IP stack corruption:

Try replacing %sysroot32%\drivers\tcpip.sys

clean reinstall of TCP/IP

These steps are copied from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325356

Step #1:

1.1. Locate the Nettcpip.inf file in %winroot%\inf, and then open the file in Notepad.
1.2. Locate the [MS_TCPIP.PrimaryInstall] section.
1.3. Edit the Characteristics = 0xa0 entry and replace 0xa0 with 0x80.
1.4. Save the file, and then exit Notepad.
1.5. In Control Panel, double-click Network Connections, right-click Local Area Connection, and then select Properties.
1.6. On the General tab, click Install, select Protocol, and then click Add.
1.7. In the Select Network Protocols window, click Have Disk.
1.8. In the Copy manufacturer’s files from: text box, type c:\windows\inf, and then click OK.
1.9. Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click OK.
Note This step will return you to the Local Area Connection Properties screen, but now the Uninstall button is available.
1.10. Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), click Uninstall, and then click Yes.
RESTART

succesfull uninstallation of TCP/IP will remove numerous keys from the registry including:

HKLM/system/CurrentControlSet001/services/tcpip
HKLM/system/CurrentControlSe001t/services/dhcp
HKLM/system/CurrentControlSet001/services/dnscache
HKLM/system/CurrentControlSet001/services/ipsec
HKLM/system/CurrentControlSet001/services/policyagent
HKLM/system/CurrentControlSe001t/services/atmarpc
HKLM/system/CurrentControlSet001/services/nla

These represent various interconnected and interdependant services.

For good measure you should delete the following keys before reinstalling TCP/IP in step #2:

HKLM/system/CurrentControlSet/services001/winsock
HKLM/system/CurrentControlSet/services001/winsock2

Step #2

Reinstall of TCP/IP

Following the above substep 1.3, replace the 0x80 back to 0xa0, this will eliminate the related “unsigned driver” error that was encountered during the uninstallation phase.

Return to “local area connection”> properties > general tab > install > Protocol > TCP/IP

You may receive an “Extended Error” failure upon trying to reinstall the TCP/IP, this is related to the installer sub-system conflicting with the security database status.

to check the integrity of the security database
esentutl /g c:\windows\security\Database\secedit.sdb

There may be a message saying database is out of date
first try the recovery option

esentutl /r c:\windows\security\Database\secedit.sdb

this did not work for me, I needed the repair option

esentutl /p c:\windows\security\Database\secedit.sdb

rerun the /g option to ensure that integrity is good and database is up to date.

Now return to the “local area network setup”
choose install > protocol > tcp/ip and try again

reboot.

Of course you could always just nuke the thing from orbit; its the only way to be sure; nothing down there is worth saving.

If the network connection gets trashed by the GeekBuddy bat file, I would try first to uninstall the network cards in Device Manager and restore them by rebooting. Which worked for me. Otherwise the clean reinstall of TCP/IP mentioned byWxMan1 is good advice.

That all these scenarios occurred is a in IMHO bad programming. Shame, because I consider it to be a otherwise a good app.

As Admin, have done a thorough uninstall throughout the registry With Revo Uninstaller and cleaned up the registry with CCleaner. Have yet to repeat the same in safe mode with full administrator privileges- If that fails and I continue to be unable to install CIS, I will give up and change to Agnitum Outpost Security Suite. not willing to re-install my OS just to be able to install CIS. 8)

Wxman. Your advice on resetting the TCP/IP stack is meant for Windows XP I think. It does not apply to Windows Vista and later.

Abzu. Best way to start clean is following Most Effective Way to Reinstall CIS to Avoid/Fix Problems by my colleague Chiron. It is best to run the clean up tool for CIS in Safe Mode.

Sometimes it happens that you can’t connect to the internet after uninstalling, using the unofficial clean up tool or trying a manual deinstallation. Then the Inspect driver is still present and needs to be uninstalled.

How to uninstall the CIS firewall driver when it stays present? Look up the properties of the network connection, select the Comodo Firewall driver and uninstall it. See the attached image.

Let us know if this worked and if you need more assistance.