CIS ignores rules for applications with 8.3 shortname file paths

A. THE BUG/ISSUE (Varies from issue to issue)
Can you reproduce the problem & if so how reliably?:
Yes every time.
If you can, exact steps to reproduce. If not, exactly what you did & what happened:
1:set firewall to Custom ruleset and alert frequency to medium or higher.
2:open command prompt and execute internet explorer via short name path C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\iexplore.exe
3:navigate to a website, notice alert for Internet explorer requesting access to the internet.
4:answer alert with “Treat As Allowed Application” and check 'Remember my answer"
5:notice additional alerts displayed answer the same as in step 4
6:exit and re-launch application, navigate to website notice alerts still displayed asking for permission.
One or two sentences explaining what actually happened:
Any application executed from it’s 8.3 format short name path will still generate alerts even if a rule is already defined for the application.
One or two sentences explaining what you expected to happen:
I expected no alerts to be displayed when rules are already defined for the application.
If a software compatibility problem have you tried the advice to make programs work with CIS?:
N/A
Any software except CIS/OS involved? If so - name, & exact version:
N/A
Any other information, eg your guess at the cause, how you tried to fix it etc:
I noticed alerts only appear after the first set of alerts if remember my answer is checked. answering an alert without remember my answer will stop producing additional alerts. I have a video showing this behavior.
B. YOUR SETUP
Exact CIS version & configuration:
CIS version 8.2.0.4508 Proactive configuration
Modules enabled & level. D+/HIPS, Autosandbox/BBlocker, Firewall, & AV:
HIPS=enabled, Auto-sandbox=disabled,Firewall=Custom ruleset, AV=not installed
Have you made any other changes to the default config? (egs here.):
firewall set to custom ruleset, alert frequency set to high.
Have you updated (without uninstall) from CIS 5, 6 or 7?:
N/A clean install
if so, have you tried a a a clean reinstall - if not please do?:
Yes
Have you imported a config from a previous version of CIS:
No
if so, have you tried a standard config - if not please do:
Yes
OS version, SP, 32/64 bit, UAC setting, account type, V.Machine used:
Windows 7 SP1 x64 bit, UAC=disabled, admin account, real machine
Other security/s’box software a) currently installed b) installed since OS, including initial trial security software included with system:
a=N/A b=N/A

Links to other threads/posts about this issue:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Bump, would like to have this bug forwarded to the devs as this is widespread issue with many users.

I am having the same issue with the Comodo Firewall and the Citrix Receiver client which for whatever reason since the last update is launching using 8.3 short names. In the registry for the Comodo rules I can see possibly what might be causing the issue.

Registry Path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\CmdAgent\CisConfigs\2\Firewall\Policy

Under here is a firewall rule for the app with 2 values for the path: DeviceName and Filename. In every rule I look at they’re identical though for some rules there is not always a Filename registry value. In the case of my problem process the 2 values differ.

DeviceName: C:\Program Files (x86)\Citrix\ICA Client\wfica32.exe
Filename: C:\PROGRA~2\Citrix\ICACLI~1\wfica32.exe

So even though I add a rule for the shortname it continues prompting me for an action when I launch Citrix receiver. I tried manually editing the registry; this does not make a difference. So I think the Filename is just the display name on the rule within Comodo and the Device name is the path its resolving to and of course they do not match.

I can confirm the exact same problem with Citrix and “wfica32.exe”. Even with “Remember my answer” checked, and selecting “Treat as allowed application” CIS keeps alerting me that this program wants to access the internet. So I have to disable the firewall to be able to run Citrix-applications.
Hope this bug gets accepted soon.

I have the same: https://forums.comodo.com/news-announcements-feedback-cis/comodo-internet-security-8204508-is-released-t110542.0.html;msg806329#msg806329
Everything was Ok with version 8.1.

Hi Guys, we will be fixing this critical bug with an additional release, will let you know the exact date once it is fixed.

Very soon i hope.
I can’t imagine only non commercial users have this problem.

Same problem here, I had to uninstall the firewall from all my PCs

This is resolved for me in the latest patch.

Yes it is :-TU Thank you for the feedback.

Kind Regards
Buket

@futuretech, please test this issue with version <8.2.0.4591>.

Thank you.

Can confirm this is fixed.

In that case, I will move this one to “Resolved” section.

Thank you.