CIS HIPS not enabled and settings

Just installed CIS free version 6.64131.2674. Have to say , as much as i liked Avira for its reliability , the CIS control panel makes avira look like a 70’s rock star. Great design.

It took me awile to realise the configuration bits were via the ‘‘tasks’’. Felt like Indiana Jones finding the good stuff when it flipped open. Doh !!!

Can anyone point me in the right direction for adjusting settings, eg i noticed that HIPS isnt enabled, is that by default ? Hoping to tweak it to look out for Java exploits which is what i switched to Comodo for. Also i selected comodo secure dns on install. Seing as i’m in asia at the moment, my location wont affect my internet speed will it?

Thanks for any help.

Please see my article about How to Install Comodo Firewall.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks.

Best way to deal with Java exploits is to install the latest JRE 1.7.10. This version now has added the ability to limit (various levels of) or even disable the use of Java in your browsers.

We hardly come across Java on the web so it makes sense to disable it and only switch on when needed.

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately i now have a problem on start up. Everything was great last night after installing CIS but unfortunately this morning my Laptop didnt want to start. Any ideas about anything i can do with CIS with regards to the following below explanation of my problem. I realise its not a PC support forum but just wondering if theres a chance its something simple i can CONFIGURE/do as she was turning on fine yesterday, and so have included the details of the black screens to give an accurate picture.

My Acer One d270 was unable to start giving a black screen, and i clicked enter on the option to use ‘‘Start up repair’’, which only seemed to show the following ;

‘‘Unspecified change to system configuration may have caused the problem error code = ox490’’

I managed to start in normal mode in the end and everything seem to be working ok as far as speed etc gos. I installed the VMware - Toolwiz Timefreeze, a couple of days ago. Before that i installed Sandboxie, but then uninstalled after it caused BSOD which according to the dump file was caused by the Intel Graphics Accelerator Drivers for Windows 7(R) file - igdkmd32.sys . I’m pretty certain that was just a conflict rather than a driver needing updating.

I noticed that for sometime before the latest downloads that when running windows ‘‘fix problems’’, that it implies i may have too many programs running on start up ,so today i disabled, adobe reader + acrobat, google update , and toolwiz so they are not running on start up. I also have Rapport installed and running but its not showing in msconfig start up list so not sure about it. I’m assuming Word,excel,ccleaner,glary utilities, are not running on start up but dont know how to check.

Here is my Windows Start up list via CCleaner ;

No HKCU:Run Google Update “C:\Users\Windows7\AppData\Local\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe” /c
No HKLM:Run Adobe ARM “C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe”
Yes HKLM:Run COMODO Internet Security C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cistray.exe
Yes HKLM:Run GfxServiceInstall C:\Windows\system32\GfxCUIServiceInstall.vbs
Yes HKLM:Run HotKeysCmds C:\Windows\system32\hkcmd.exe
Yes HKLM:Run IAStorIcon C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology\IAStorIcon.exe
Yes HKLM:Run IgfxTray C:\Windows\system32\igfxtray.exe
Yes HKLM:Run LManager C:\Program Files\Launch Manager\LManager.exe
Yes HKLM:Run Persistence C:\Windows\system32\igfxpers.exe
Yes HKLM:Run RTHDVCPL C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA\RtHDVCpl.exe -s
No HKLM:Run Toolwiz TimeFreeze “C:\Program Files\Toolwiz TimeFreeze\ToolwizTimeFreezeGUI.exe” -autorun
Yes HKLM:Run tvncontrol “C:\Program Files\Common Files\Comodo\tvnserver.exe” -controlservice -slave
No Startup Common Start GeekBuddy.lnk C:\PROGRA~1\Comodo\GEEKBU~1\launcher.exe “unit_manager.exe”

And the Start up scheduled tasks ;

Yes Task AutoKMS C:\Windows\AutoKMS\AutoKMS.exe
Yes Task GoogleUpdateTaskUserS-1-5-21-1019755614-1115449502-2846687370-1000Core C:\Users\Windows7\AppData\Local\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe /c
Yes Task GoogleUpdateTaskUserS-1-5-21-1019755614-1115449502-2846687370-1000UA C:\Users\Windows7\AppData\Local\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe /ua /installsource scheduler
Yes Task RealUpgradeLogonTaskS-1-5-21-1019755614-1115449502-2846687370-1000 C:\Program Files\Real\RealUpgrade\RealUpgrade.exe /logoncheck
Yes Task RealUpgradeScheduledTaskS-1-5-21-1019755614-1115449502-2846687370-1000 C:\Program Files\Real\RealUpgrade\RealUpgrade.exe /scheduledcheck
Yes Task {02564FEB-EF2F-4A1F-AC7B-1BE691A9D7BC} C:\Program Files\Webcam Surveyor\WebcamSurveyor.exe
Yes Task {0EA6EEA9-4464-4AB3-B4CD-4FAF9CC119E2} C:\Program Files\Webcam Surveyor\WebcamSurveyor.exe
Yes Task {196824D3-2774-489E-9CDA-A8776FED4F57} C:\Users\Windows7\Downloads\chromeinstall-6u31.exe
Yes Task {70EAC6C4-59D4-4F6D-8F4E-1DF4189D7A93} C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cistray.exe
Yes Task {7C8D1434-9E9D-49D5-A17B-8AB9CB2FAF24} C:\Users\Windows7\Downloads\chromeinstall-6u31.exe
Yes Task {83A23A5C-F9E5-41AF-A2C0-DCFA00FD1AC7} C:\Users\Windows7\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
Yes Task {9F56BFF6-D0F1-459D-9779-C5058C852F94} C:\Program Files\Webcam Surveyor\WebcamSurveyor.exe
Yes Task {AAAF41DC-AB2B-4569-9118-08E94B73BD40} C:\Users\Windows7\Downloads\chromeinstall-6u31.exe
Yes Task {BDDCD7BA-A5CE-4631-9CF1-5ABAAFE1EF0A} C:\Users\Windows7\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
Yes Task {F61B268C-4825-4742-A897-480626F3DE01} C:\Program Files\Webcam Surveyor\WebcamSurveyor.exe
Yes Task {FD68C697-2D0B-4B1B-B90C-57A604C43B3B} C:\Program Files\IncredibleCharts\IncredibleCharts.exe

I have no idea what i should disable on Start up from here. The Auto.kms is nothing malicious. I think i will try and test out if my hard drive is healthy (any ideas which way is best??) and do a defrag.

Can anybody help with regards to what programs i need on start up, and is it safe to use CCleaner to disable any of the above ?

I’m now going to try to check my HDD out and do a defrag but am not that up on this stuff.

Thanks for any help !!

Just analysed the HDD with defrag and only showing 4% so didnt do a defrag. Done a CIS full av scan and nothing bad.

Did you restart your computer after installing CIS?

To check your hard drive get the analysis tools from the hard drive’s manufacturer.

Also check the Windows logs. They can be found under Control Panel → Administrative Tools → Event Viewer → Windows Logs → System. See if there are warnings (yellow triangle) or errors (red circle with exclamation mark)reported that may be related to your problem.

With 4% fragmentation it makes sense to defragment but it is not the cause of your problems.

EricJH,

I think/hope it was just to many programs and tasks running at start up in the end as i disabled everything apart from Comodo and she now starts fine so sorry about that.

I’ll check out the hard drive though so thanks for the heads up as i’m in a relatively remote part of SE Asia.

Thanks

I hope your drive is in a good shape. Glad you fixed the problem by disabling programs that start with Windows. :-TU