CIS High CPU usage Windows 7 64 bit

I’m running CIS 5.10.228257.2253 on Windows 7 64 bit. Every so often I notice that the fan is running continuously and every time this happens I see that CFP is using 25% or more of the CPU. If I change the configuration to Firewall only the problem goes away but then when I change back up goes CPU usage. Rebooting removes the problem until the next time. The interval after reboot is difficult to tell as it is usually days.

Looking around today with Procexp I noticed that there were a significant number of Error Opening Thread entries in the Handles section. However when I switched to Firewall only CFP then crashed.

That highlights a second problem I’ve noticed before - if CIS crashes and you restart it, it completely loses its configuration.

Sorry you are having this problem.

From the information you have given I am not clear whether the first issue you raise is a bug/issue.

The crash (and perhaps the thread errors) is/are, but we will need a crash dump file and preferably a bug report in Standard Format if you wish to report it.

For the moment I will transfer you to help so you can work through the first issue with users and mods in this forum and hopefully resolve it. I hope that is OK.

This link will probably help you: Solving high CPU problems.

ProcessExplorer leads to a high CPU usage also for me on Windows 7 Home 64bit (it didn’t happen on XP 32bit)
Do you keep ProcessExplorer running often?

Try using ProcessHacker http://processhacker.sourceforge.net/ instead

In reply to mouse1: I believe I would consider that when an application starts to use a lot of CPU and continues to do so then it is a bug. I could understand if it was transient but this is continuous over minutes.

If/when I get a crash I will get the evidence and submit it.

In reply to loverboy: The problem I am describing it CFP using a lot of CPU not ProcessExplorer. I know ProceExp can use a lot of processor, particularly when you have the lower pane showing handles. In the instances where I am seeing CFP using a lot of CPU ProcExp is not. However, have downloaded ProcessHacker and it looks like it’s quite a useful alternative.