CIS freezes system

Hello. Installed CIS on XP Home SP3 system and the install went OK. However, it froze the system when it detected LAN, when the Defense + learned something (dialog box would not close on X), and then it would not allow full boot up of the system. Could not end task through Task Manager. I uninstalled it in Safe Mode. Just wondering what would cause that. I do have Malwarebytes on the system but it coexisted with the McAfee Internet Security Suite I had previously loaded. I always make sure they are not scanning at the same time. Use CIS on other systems but this is only one with Malwarebytes on it. ???

Sorry to hear about that.

I am not quite sure what is happening. If you are willing to try again my best idea for now is to see if there are left over from McAfee or other previously installed programs and then installing CIS again.

Go to Device Manager → View → show hidden devices → now look under Non Plug and Play drivers → when you see a driver that belongs to your previous security programs click right → uninstall —> do this for all drivers → reboot your computer.

When the problem persists make sure there are noauto starts from your previous security programs download Autoruns and run it.

This program finds about all auto starts in Windows. This tool can therefore seriously damage Windows when not handled properly. After starting go to Options and choose to hide Windows and Microsoft entries and then push F5 to refresh.

Now check all entries to see if there are references to your previous security program. When you find them untick them. After unticking reboot your computer and see what happens when you install CIS again.

Hello. Well, have recently been through AV/firewall hell so haven’t been able to get back to the forum. Learned alot about the various product uninstallers/cleaners. Had Avast! AV and McAfee firewall installed. I guess a rogue update caused a problem accessing one webpage in Firefox and IE8. Then used AOL explorer and worked OK for one nite. Then could not access that page on that. ??? Didn’t know what was going on. Uninstalled and cleaned the Avast! and McAfee and tried to go back to CIS. Had same problems but finally unchecked the “Load at startup” from Malwarebytes and now everything is OK. So just an FYI, don’t have any other security software loaded/running and CIS will run like a charm. :wink: Great product and thanks. ;D