CIS does not play well with Windows 8.1 Metro Apps and Windows Update

While I fell in love with Comodo on Windows 7, it has become quite a horror story on 8.1, to the point that I have uninstalled it for good.

Unlike typical users, I had enabled HIPS to training mode, and had also enabled verbose alerts. Now here’s what happens. I open a Windows App (or Metro/Tile App as they call it). As soon as I do, Comodo pops up an alert. By the time I answer the alert, the Metro App has crashed because of Comodo putting it on standby until I had answered the alert. A reboot reveals that my user profile settings have been corrupted, and therefore my only recourse would be to use System restore. I got around this problem by disabling the alerts, and making sure the Windows Apps folder was added to the Trusted Application list. But it should have been there by default.

Then something even more scary happened with the latest version i.e CIS 8. It somehow corrupts/ prevents Windows Updates from running properly, throwing up Window update error “WindowsUpdate_80070005” which is related to improper file persmissions.

Even the online windows update troubleshooter will fail to function, throwing up an error. You can’t even download and install the updates manually.

And since these are all the symptoms of a malware attack, it creates all the more panic.

The only solution is to uninstall Comodo (sadly). :embarassed:

The below bug report pertains to the Windows Update issue only, as the Metro App crash issue was addressed. Please not that unlike typical users, I have enabled HIPS (training mode) and this may be related. Sometimes pressing the wrong button can block Windows Update for good, but Comodo designers should have taken that into consideration.

A. Comodo 8 messing up Windows Update
Can you reproduce the problem & if so how reliably?:Was too panicked to bother reproducing

If you can, exact steps to reproduce. If not, exactly what you did & what happened:CIS 8 somehow corrupts/ prevents Windows Updates from running properly, throwing up Window update error “WindowsUpdate_80070005” which is related to improper file persmissions.

Even the online windows update troubleshooter will fail to function, throwing up an error. You can’t even download and install the updates manually.

And since these are all the symptoms of a malware attack, it creates all the more panic. It also seems to mess permissions such that entire drives and system folders are turned to Read only, and must be manually corrected.

The only solution is to uninstall Comodo (sadly). :embarassed:

1:Install CIS 8; Enable HIPS
2:Windows Update will stop getting updates throwing an error
3:Only solution is to uninstall Comodo
One or two sentences explaining what actually happened: CIS broke Windows Update in a very nasty way

One or two sentences explaining what you expected to happen:CIS should have been engineered such as not to mess with Windows Update

If a software compatibility problem have you tried the advice to make programs work with CIS?:Windows Update is a core OS module, and CIS must be compatible

Any software except CIS/OS involved? If so - name, & exact version: Not to my knowledge

Any other information, eg your guess at the cause, how you tried to fix it etc:I believe its related to HIPS blocking Windows Update Components

B. YOUR SETUP
Exact CIS version & configuration:Latest i.e CIS 8

Modules enabled & level. D+/HIPS, Autosandbox/BBlocker, Firewall, & AV: HIPS: Training Mode; Autosandbox/BBlocker: Not set to auto; Firewall alerts disabled and Firewall set to Training Mode; AV set to stateful

Have you made any other changes to the default config? (egs here.):Enabled HIPS

Have you updated (without uninstall) from CIS 5, 6 or 7?: Yes, updated from previous versions sutomatically, without install

[b]if so, have you tried a a a clean reinstall - if not please do?[/b]: no

Have you imported a config from a previous version of CIS: CIS automatically does that

[b]if so, have you tried a standard config - if not please do[/b]: no

OS version, SP, 32/64 bit, UAC setting, account type, V.Machine used: Windows 8.1 64 bit

Other security/s’box software a) currently installed b) installed since OS, including initial trial security software included with system: None

C. No files attached because CIS was uninstalled in panic

Please test this issue with version <8.2.0.4591>.

Thanks.

Since we have not heard from the OP im assuming the newest version has fixed this bug. If this bug is still present in the latest release please respond here and we can continue to process this bug.

Thanks