CIS completely freezes after Firewall alert

I get a pop-up notification about an incoming connection and I clicked block and then block only but the notification won’t go away no more.

Opening up Comodo and trying to view the log freezes up Comodo completely. Can’t close any of the windows nor click on any of the functions.

Obviously it’s not possible to close Comodo entirely, even via task manager. So every time this freeze happens I have to reboot my computer.

How to fix this?

Please make sure that there are no left overs of previously uninstalled security programs around. Not all uninstallers do a proper job. Left over applications, drivers or services can cause all sort of “interesting effects”.

Try using removal tools for those programs to remove them. Here is a list of removal tools for common av programs: ESET Knowledgebase .

When cleaning up possible left overs does not help try a clean install. Please follow Most Effective Way to Reinstall CIS to Avoid/Fix Problems by my colleague Chiron. It will provide a reliable and clean starting point.

I have the same problem too. COMODO Firewall Alert freezing randomly regardless of which option you select. After that the whole PC goes mad, nothing works (you can’t sign off user, shutdown or restart). Only way out is a hard-restart.

It started on freshly installed Windows 8 Pro x64, so I’m sure it is not happening by any previously CIS installation.

Do you have other security programs installed? What configuration of CIS are you running? Is the alert by the Firewall or Defense +?

No, I don’t have any other security programs installed, even Windows Firewall, Windows Defender and Security Center are also disabled.

I am running CIS Proactive Security Configuration. It is usually the Firewall alert, but sometimes it happens with Defense+ alert too.

If you like, I can give you screenshots of my CIS settings. I forgot to mention that I am on Windows 8 Pro x64.

This sounds like a bug to me. Can you check the Firewall and D+ logs to see if there are specific alerts that are causing the hanging or if they are random.

When ever this bug occurs, PC goes in full lock down mode. No file can be access or created hence CIS Logs doesn’t save either.

Edit 1: I have found a file on which this bug is always occurring. EricJH you if like, I can show you exactly what happens through using Teamviewer (remote desktop). So let me know then I will send you my Skype ID in PM.

Which file is causing this?

Since the problem reproduces. If you have the time and energy please consider filing a bug report in the Bug Reports - CIS board following the format as described in FORMAT & GUIDE - just COPY/PASTE it!.

Reporting of bugs is strictly moderated to make sure Comodo gets clear bug reports. So, please make sure you closely follow protocol. That way your report will certainly be seen by Comodo staff.

The file on which I always get this problem is: Neverwinter_NW.1.20130416a.6.exe (It is game setup downloader for Neverwinter from Pefect Word Inc.)

Ok, I will take my time to submit my Bug Report as mentioned by you.

One last question. This is not the situation where an application goes full screen hiding an alert?

I have yet not experienced with any application that goes full screen. For some extra info, when I newly installed my Windows I had this bug even on Windows own ‘Explorer.exe’ file. I had to do more than 8 hard-reboots to add Allowing rule for ‘Explorer.exe’.

One more thing is when Firewall Alert freezes, I can’t open even Task Manager. Error came saying something like ‘Windows Task Manager could not be opened because you need permission for it.’

I have submitted the Bug Report already, for more details goto: https://forums.comodo.com/bug-reports-cis/comodo-firewall-alert-freezes-causing-full-pc-hang-v6-t94872.0.html

It sounds like you have some inherent instability in your computer setup. Is it an “off the shelf” computer from a big box store, or did you build it yourself?

Some suggestions to try and help narrow things down…

Make certain you have the latest drivers for your video adapter and network adapter.

Also, if you are running any other malware or anti virus software, try disabling those for a while and see if the problem persists. There certainly could be a conflict causing the lockups.

Run this online software security scan: About Secunia Research | Flexera

I have 20yrs of PC experience, if it was the issue of instability then I would have know. It is custom built PC that I made myself.

All drivers are up to date, don’t have any other malware or anti virus software installed.

I was just now searching for some kind of solution or explanation of an almost identical problem. Not sure if I should be making a new topic, but I feel that my input on this could help shed more light on the situation.

I moved to Comodo Internet Security after not being 100% happy with how Kaspersky Internet Security was functioning with each update. I used the Kaspersky Removal Tool and ensured that all trace of it was gone. I then installed CIS v7 and configured it following a guide from this forum. My system has and still is malware free and clean.

Everything seemed to be working prefectly fine except for a lockup that I now get after a HIPS alert. It pretty much always seems to happen when something is trying to do something with the COM interface and started during the most recent Windows Update for Windows 7 x64. Literally, during the install of the first update it produced the alert and it made my entire laptop lockup. It states that “this is a safe application and can be allowed…”

During the lockup the alert remains on screen. I can’t open or access any window for other applications, I can move the mouse around but not click on anything since it does not respond. Like xXShutterXx said, I am unable to use CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to access Task Manager because it eventually comes up with a similar error as his.

When this first happened during the Windows Update I had clicked the “Allow” button on the alert numerous times without affect. I attempted to wait to see if the system would become responsive but to no avail. The best I got was after 20minutes of waiting where the mouse clicks I mentioned previously were suddenly processed as more HIPS messages concerning access to the COM interface flashed up and were “allowed” thanks to my numerous mouse clicks after it initially locked up.

The only thing I can do is hold down the power button and do a hard reboot when this happens.

If this is a bug then it is a pretty nasty one that is going to influence my decision on remaining with CIS. I’m currently using and testing CIS in preperation of moving the rest of the household computers to a new Internet Security pacakge after the current Kaspersky License expires. Hoping for a solution to this as I’ve steadily fallen in love with CIS, except for a few niggly things I now miss from KIS. Lockups like this are going to be a deal breaker.