CIS Charrette - Application System Activity Control

Alright. Here comes the next iteration. Some functionality was lost, some gained.

Notably, the ability to quickly change Default Action across the entire application policy is gone. But this is really not for novice users, and it is easily done by highlighting all Access Types in the Access Rights tab and making the change in any one of the highlighted drop-downs (the change will effect all highlighted items).

The Basic Switches tab should be far less intimidating.

Alight. This is just a small update.

I’ve moved the search feature below the table, and formatted it so it’s not bleeding into a contextually different area of the window.

I’ve added import and export buttons for granular configuration management.

So I finally got around to making the first draft of the rule-add/edit window. It’s in the OP, just keep scrolling.

I don’t understand everything but I am looking forward to explore and to learn :slight_smile:

Thanks for giving use nice idea glifford!
:-TU

Thanks and no problem.

If there’s anything in particular you want me to try to explain further let me know.

the design looks pretty fine but i think time has come when comodo internet security has two modes
1 autopilot mode with just the important settings with minimal customization for average not so net savvy common computer user
2 fine grained advanced mode for geeks and novices like me :slight_smile: where one can go for all the tweaking of security
I usually love the informative alerts but i find most average users get confused by the great information at times security suits present
so be simple and add to popularity
and yes please have a big restore to default setting on main cis panel so that i can revert to factory settings if i break something with my settings
regards
:slight_smile:

Wow! This is an amazing design UI for policy development. It is a torment when using the native policy tools to develop a whole set of policies. This one is much better than the CIS’s Security Policy Settings now. It is clear enough for the policy creation, but I think it might be too complex for users to see the design , because most sets of policy are confusing and hard to be generally understand (UI needs to make complex things simple). I think it would be good to have a hierarchy diagram for the whole set of policy(e.g. It shows which policy has more priority and will override the others, or just show the judgement tree of CIS). It would be best if we can edit policies directly on the hierarchy diagram, adjust the priorities and behaviors. This will make CIS a more convienent tool for common users and policy development.

As with the firewall this all looks great. I do have one additional feature however which has more to do with logs than anything else.

Basically just add a log tab.

The idea is that using existing features of this design. I can run an application in the sandbox, I can then allow all and then enable logging of everything. Afterwards it would be nice to see a cleaned up organized log of everything that happened from the time of launch to the time I actually viewed the log.

I would of course have one or two views for the log, my preference would definitely be quite similar to the way the access rules are displayed.

Then for some ease of use and polishing allow the individual logs to be used as parameters for creating rules, via right click context menus and or buttons.

This type of analysis should also be accessible to the firewall. In that situation perhaps a bit more analysis could be done, for instance auto recognition of subnets and or ranges.

Please, add this feature - https://forums.comodo.com/wishlist-cis/limit-read-access-to-particular-files-in-d-to-specific-programs-t59327.0.html

i like all these too. though same as some users here don’t understand it kinda. i see that Basic tab is like “for simple toggles and simple users”, but next tab is a bit of a mystery :cry: i presume Basic Action switch resembles same switch from 1st tab, but what does 2nd switch(Adv. Default)? same for Adv. rules… could you please explain more? and sorry if those question are kinda stupid.

one more thing: i see an author of idea a wanted to say here already posted link, and what i see on Adding Rule section already resembles me a realisation of this -am i right?

How do I get “Application System Activity Control”?

If you read the first post, this is an ideas thread. It doesn’t actually exist.

Hi Glifford,

Although I like the entire screen and how it works, I finally managed to figure out the disconnect gnawing at the back of my mind.

If from Basic Switches → Access Rights section, I choose for the Basic Action → Block.

I am interpreting by default on the Access rights tab for all - Access Type’s - the Basic Action should’ve been block then for all Access Type entries ?

However the screengrab lists a mix of Allow’s, Ask’s and Block’s for all Basic Action’s individual access type in which case how is the Basic column differing from the Advanced other than the granularity ?

An alternative to my interpretation is the Access Right’s tab columns for both Basic and Advanced show the same dropdown entries in which case these look as linked i.e. If you change the value in Advanced it reflects against the Basic column.

But then what will be the corresponding change on the 1st tab i.e. Access Rights.
Will the dropdown value change to None and the Chceckbox for Advanced get selected.
In which I really dont see the need for the Basic Column ?

Regards
Mohan

I don’t know if I should top post or bottom post to a quote so I will just do what I like to see.

To answer your question, I can see the flow he is going for here. If you chose any option at all on the next advanced tabs, it should automatically set it to “CUSTOM” in the basic tab. That makes sense to me. Touch any option on the other advanced tabs and it just sets the basic ones to “CUSTOM”. That way it leaves the simple for people who don’t want to mess with advanced configuration.
What I would love to see is an option that completely disregards the basic tab (settings) and always lands you straight on the advanced page. That would be a nice feature.

And I also do want to see a way to control internal white-lists for applications, which I know is a bit off topic. The reason, for me, is when you see what happened with the USER TRUST issue. I am from the school of “No Trust” for a particular network or application, until I am forced to. Where as most software today includes thousands of neat ways to abuse any number of trust networks.

My analogy about white-lists is, it is a bit like giving the keys to your house to every realtor company in the country. It seems backwards to me. The trust thing.

wished we could ever get this.

+1. would be excellent for the advanced users.