CIS/CES 8 adds ADS to files which remain present if files distributed [M1367]

Too bad especially as there is also a bug on v7 which is not solved : https://forums.comodo.com/resolvedoutdated-issues-cis-b227.0/

and that I experienced

then I think that as I initially I wanted to do, I will come back to my perfect 5.10 version that I defended in this forum with screams from moderators and all

Comodo should have maintained a real isolated Personal Firewall ! ! as at the begining

Well said, and 1 month later the problem is the same :-\

You can add to the file list :

doc mht mp4 torrent wav

I merged your post with this topic as this is where comments are gathered.

Of course, as well as removing this ‘feature’ (or giving an option to disable it), Comodo need to provide a means for users to remove all the ADS pollution the software has created.

Incidentally, has anyone noticed the message gives when another piece of software (not on your trusted list) tries to create an ADS entry against a file. You get a…
WARNING! program is attempting to hide data as an NTFS data stream. This is a typical virus behaviour!

lol. :stuck_out_tongue:

After that and further investigations I can tell that with Comodo 8, I experienced another possible bug :
and it seems not to be related to the ADS problem.
It is that the launching of some programs is much slower than it is without Comodo, or than it was with 5.10 or 7 probably.

These programs especially are the Microsoft update packages named KB…exe which take (unzipping + update.exe lauching) normally 0 to 7" maxi, then take 20" with Comodo 8 even all is disabled exept the Firewall !

[i]At the end this hard day, I restored my Windows partition to 20140814 ! with great success, re-discovering the great 5.10 that IO had so much difficulties to abandon … and all is working well

Then I have some downloaged files to clean in my Documents partition left.[/i]

Removing the ADS is easy, format a fat32 volume and copy your polluted files on it
Restoring correct filetime modified is more difficult

System files that have the “Comodo ADS” are hard to remove. And can’t be removed this way.

That in its self would be worth a bug report.

According ADS Scanner, all my “Comodo ADS” were cleaned after using his removing function.
It’s more simple than the method I proposed.

This thread/bug has been open since the 22nd of November 2014.
Why has a developer not come forward and explained what is occuring in this instance?
No offence to the Moderators… but an official stance is long past due.

Developers in general tend not to respond to bug reports other than only to gather further information. :-\

I got a quicker response from a research firm after pointing them to this thread.
They explained it well enough for me to understand that this is a poorly implimented legitimate feature.
Can’t say it makes me any happier though.

Since i can’t seem to see or find an edit button, i need to correct what i typed below.

I got a quicker response from a research firm after pointing them to this thread.
They explained it well enough for me to understand that this is a legitimate feature, that is not perfectly implemented.
Can’t say it makes me any happier though.

Thats a bit better… and verbatim.

I would also love to see a response for an import subject like this. We sometimes get responses on important issues. For now we only know:

Does new version (COMODO Internet Security 8.1.0.4426) solve this issue? I have not read about it in “what is new” section.

Thanks.

Nope. Not solved in 8.1.0.4426.

For the life of me, I just can’t imagine why ANYTHING stored in these many thousands of separate ADS can’t be stored in a SINGLE Comodo protected database file instead, for example: FileID, FileName, FileLocation, DateFirstObserved, SecurityHash, FileRating, WhateverYouNeed, NoAlteredTimeStampsOrADSClutter, ProblemSolved.

If someone says it’s for performance or security reasons, I’d say that’s a weak excuse because the same should be able to be accomplished with a database file.

Sorry, but untill ADS problem is fixed I can not install v.8 :frowning: