CIS and Paid Real Time Programs

How can it be determined which programs on our computers are Real time?

“If one of them is the paid version just be sure to add the files of CIS to their exclusions list, and the files of that program to the exclusions list of CIS” –

How would I go about this? and

Does this also apply to Comodo Firewall, as well as CIS?

I don’t know how to determine which or how many of my other programs have real-time, but I’d guess they’d be Paid versions:

AVG Anti-Virus
Revo Uninstaller Pro

I just don’t want these, indeed any other real time programs to clash with the Comodo firewall.

Does the firewall have any Script protection?

I haven’t unblocked or added any filters in the five extensions I’m using, but don’t know if any of them block external scripts:

Adblock Plus
Adblock Plus Pop-Up Blocker
Do Not Track Me
Greasemonkey
Video Download Helper

Lastly, I’ve read that Comodo Firewall has 3 options to choose from during the Installation process.

Are all 3 suitable for novice users?

Provided the prompts are not as cryptic and confusing as those of the original version of Zone Alarm, where it wasn’t obvious which programs should be allowed or disallowed, I’d be happy to opt for any option, assuming the Defense options have up to several prompts:

Firewall only

Firewall with Optimum Proactive Defense

Firewall with Maximum Proactive Defense

If I were to choose the basic “Firewall only” option, would I be able to switch to either of the “Defense” options and vice versa?

Whichever option I choose in the end, is it possible to go from a Defense option to the basic Firewall or upgrade from Firewall to one of the Defense options?

It does not apply to Comodo Firewall and CIS. In the above there is being referred to using another signature based solution for on access protection along with the AV of CIS.

Some of those are paid versions of programs that also come as free programs. As a free program these programs only allow to a scan without being an on access guard. Typical examples of these are Malwarebytes Antimalware and Super Antispyware.

But the same advice also applies when using free AV programs like AVG, Avira, Avast and others.

I don't know how to determine which or how many of my other programs have real-time, but I'd guess they'd be Paid versions:

AVG Anti-Virus
Revo Uninstaller Pro

AVG Anti virus runs in the background and therefor the measures of the above apply to AVG AV too. What counts is that when running two on access av programs at the same time (f.e. CIS and AVG) you need to be cautious.

Revo Pro version I don’t know. Can anybody else comment whether Revo Pro is compatible? I don’t recall seeing reports suggesting it is not compatible.

I just don’t want these, indeed any other real time programs to clash with the Comodo firewall.
Does the firewall have any Script protection?
No
I haven’t unblocked or added any filters in the five extensions I'm using, but don't know if any of them block external scripts:

Adblock Plus
Adblock Plus Pop-Up Blocker
Do Not Track Me
Greasemonkey
Video Download Helper

For script blocking I refer to your topic about script blocking.

Lastly, I’ve read that Comodo Firewall has 3 options to choose from during the Installation process.

Are all 3 suitable for novice users?

Provided the prompts are not as cryptic and confusing as those of the original version of Zone Alarm, where it wasn’t obvious which programs should be allowed or disallowed, I’d be happy to opt for any option, assuming the Defense options have up to several prompts:

Firewall only

This misses the unique protection of D+/Sandbox. I therefor don’t recommend it

Firewall with Optimum Proactive Defense
This is quiet and suitable for most users and that's what I recommend for novice users.
Firewall with Maximum Proactive Defense
This one will talk more and is better suited for people who want to take advantage of more advanced possibilities.
If I were to choose the basic “Firewall only” option, would I be able to switch to either of the “Defense” options and vice versa?

Whichever option I choose in the end, is it possible to go from a Defense option to the basic Firewall or upgrade from Firewall to one of the Defense options?

I don’t know from the top of my head as I always use the full suite. But you either change using Configurations management or otherwise you will have to use Add/remove components which is situated in the start menu.

I have the free versions of the above programs, of which the latter temporarily the 15 day free trial version.

As far as I can tell, the only Real time programs I have on my computer are the subscription based version of AVG anti virus and the 30 day free trial version of Revo Uninstaller Pro.

I’ll wait until my AVG subscription expires before I install CIS to avoid the risk of the two anti-viruses clashing.

All three Firewall options sound very good, but I must admit that I prefer the concept of the inclusion of the invaluable Sandbox, so the latter two options are better, but I’ll opt for the “Optimum Proactive Defense” option. :slight_smile:

If the prompts are clear and non-intrusive (unlike the confusing original, not current version of Zone Alarm), the “Firewall with Optimum Proactive Defense” should be suitable for me and other novice users. :slight_smile:

I look forward to installing and setting up the Comodo Firewall later today. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the link.