CIS and Alcohol (sptd) clash

Ever since the last two updates of CIS, I have noted problems with Alcohol52%. Opening a directory containing one or more iso files resulted in one or more error messages saying that AxShlExHlper could not be properly initialised (0x00000005). Not helpful. But iso files could still be mounted and used.

Reinstalling Alcohol made things worse. Error messages about AxShlExHlper not getting initialised appeared during installation, and an attempt to create a virtual drive ended with another, new error message about an access violation in alcohol exe. Something the help desk at Alcoholsoft had never seen before, I might add.

I thought of trying to uninstall CIS, install Alcohol and then reinstall CIS again, but no such luck. Uninstalling CIS proved impossible as the installer was shut down by DEP.

All in all, I’m up the proverbial creek.

Any advice would be much appreciated. A fix for this apparent clash would be even better.

Thanks.

John

We would very much appreciate it if you would edit your first post to create an issue report in line with the bug forum guidelines and format here. You can copy and paste the format from this topic.

To understand the reasons why we ask you to follow these guidelines please see below.

WHY WE ASK YOU TO FOLLOW THESE GUIDELINES
Bugs/issues can be impossible or very time consuming to fix if developers don’t have enough information to reproduce them. Since CIS is free, development time is limited. So if you want your issue fixed, please use the format below to describe it.

To avoid clutter, issues not described in the format below your post will not be moved to the ‘moderator verified’ issues topic. This means that the developers may not look at it.

Best wishes and many thanks in anticipation

HeffeD

Will do. Might take some time, though.

John

Please see this FAQ here.

Best wishes

Mouse

Brilliant, Mouse, I’ll try that as soon as I get back tonight and report back.

Thanks!

John

Mouse, my friend, you are the cat’s whiskers.

Although I did get another AxShlExHlper warning during installation, everything went well and after I added the install directory to the Exceptions and the Trusted Files Alcohol uncomplainingly went ahead and initialised my three virtual CDs without any problems.

Assuming this will meet with your approval, I shall inform Alcoholsoft of the solution so they will be able to help others.

Thanks very much for your help. Owe you one.

John

No problem, glad to be able to help.

OK re Alcoholsoft, but please credit forum members in general, not me. Many different people were involved in tracking this down.

Best wishes

Mike

Done accordingly.

This thread can now be closed.

John

Moved to Orphaned/Resolved/Outdated Issues - CIS

Thank you for posting that your issue is solved.

Dennis