CIS 6: Performance issues

Is there any chance you can share the program? (preferably source code) I’d like to try it out on my system but just between having CIS 6 and no AV. ^-^‘’

Yee would be nice to see the difference :slight_smile:

I have attached “main.txt” source code file because of this forum engine does not accept *.cpp extensions. You should rename it into “main.cpp”.
You just need to create empty console project in Visual Studio or in another IDE and add this source to that project. Do not forget to build release version (not debug).
There is “IsExceptionName(…)” routine. I use it to skip some DLLs, that could not be silently loaded. You can put additional DLLs names there to skip them during benchmark.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Edit: Getting the errors you see in screenshot. Sorry, I’m the beginner of beginners and don’t really understand how to fix that.
Also, do you recommend any other free IDE? I don’t really have any experience with anything else than Dev-c++ but that crashes in Windows 8 for me.

[attachment deleted by admin]

After

#include #include

Add this :

#include #include #include

I did that though now I get an error while trying to execute saying something about win32k.sys or something like that the program still runs for a bit though fails to load any .DLL files, it then crashes… Perhaps I shouldn’t mess with things I don’t quite understand and go back to reading books about C++ first. ^-^‘’

You could always use Windows Performance Toolkit I do.

I installed CIS 6 and it slowed down everything, even after 3 full scans. I disabled the AV and things loaded a lot more faster.

I have no performance issues in normal use but I did notice something today. When you do a scan with Malwarebytes, the same files get scanned simultaneously by whatever AV you have installed. I used to get a Quick Scan time with Malwarebytes of just over 3 minutes using Avast as my AV… Today it took 8:23. I rebooted, turned off the AV and Behavior Blocker, and did a Quick Scan with MBAM. It only took 1:34.

You can try QtCreator: Qt Creator - Wikipedia. It can be integrated with free Microsoft debugging tools and compiler if necessary.

It can crashes during loading some not realy good DLLs because of nature of those libraries. You should skip that DLLs. Just add them into IsExceptionName like this

bool IsExceptionName( const string &sFileName )
{
  bool bRetVal = false;
  if( sFileName.find( "AltTab.dll" ) != sFileName.npos ||
      sFileName.find( "ANOTHER_NAME_OF_LIBRARY.dll" ) != sFileName.npos )
  {
    bRetVal = true;
  }
  return bRetVal;
}

Just replace ANOTHER_NAME_OF_LIBRARY with the name of bad library you want to skip.

You can also create your own test directory. For example c:/test/. Put some DLLs into it and replace this piece of code

GetLibraryList( "C:/Windows/System32/", ctList );

with the next piece of code

GetLibraryList( "c:/test/", ctList );

just to point it out (about my previous post):

2 more tests…

1. amd athlon 2 x2 270 + 4gb ram ddr3 + amd radeon hd 4350;
  2. amd phenom x6 + 8gb ram ddr3 + amd radeon hd 6770.

in the 2 computers the cis6 showed more ram and cpu usage and slowly (a bit) the tasks that im used to do.

nothing to be afraid about it. no slowdown on computer, but the higher usage of ram and cpu is there and thats, for me, another bad point in cis6.

cant see me switching to cis6 in the near future…

I do not see how using another antivirus alongside comodo would actually increase computer performance. :o
Running another av alongside the built in windows firewall may help but using another av alongside comodo will use more resources if anything.
The full comodo suite is the lightest suite that i am aware of and disabling the comodo av and running something else would not be beneficial at all and is open to conflicts also. ;D

Isn’t that what you expected from on-access scanning?

Not that much of an increase, no. Certainly not more than twice as much as a competing product.

Unfortunately, this is an issue a number of users have reported and I’m not sure anyone has managed to find a solution.

Also: I needed to switch to the CIS 5.0 configuration (labelled "COMODO - Internet Security 5.x") as my old settings were not transferred / converted to the default CIS 6.0 config during the update and CIS started to re-learn everything from scratch. How can I change that and remove the old 5.0'r?

Right now, importing old configuration files is a hit and miss affair. Personally, I’d start fresh.

Merging and moving to installation help for discussion

Hope that’s OK

Mouse

Could people effected please try out the recommendations in this CIS 5.x FAQ here , and feedback. Unfortunately you’ll need to adapt the recommendations for CIS 6.0

Please do not try installing the low-cpu-config, as it is 5.x specific - make the changes manually

If you can feedback that will assist me in producing a similar FAQ for CIS 6.0, and maybe in pinning down specific issues which can then be reported as bugs.

Best wishes

Mouse

Unfortunately, none of those ideas, adapted for v6, provide anything useful or make a difference to the overall performance, at least for me. I think I’ve mentioned elsewhere, all my tests are on clean systems with just the firewall active.

Slightly off topic. You could add Windows Performance Toolkit to your list of tools, at least for slightly advanced users.

Even knowing that is helpful Radagahst, thanks. Some of them may help resolve others’ issues though.

I’ve installed CIS6 and I’ve huge performance problems when using HIPS.

I’m also using the most up to date installation of the Avast Free Antivirus - with all possible mutual exclusions and trusted addittions.

To this moment my impression is that the HIPS itself is causing the performance hog. I’ve tried switching off Avast temporarily but it doesn’t produce the same effect as turning down HIPS.

I am at a loss really - I guess I’ll have to roll back to earlier versions of Comodo Firewall.

My system is Athlon 3500, 1.5GB RAM, WinXP Pro.