CIS 5.3 & uTorrent IPv6

I am on XP SP2 with CIS 5.3 and uTorrent 2.2. I do not have IPv6 installed. I am also using Pandlouk’s rules and was wondering about his additional notes on rule 4.

Because of a bug you must change the rule 4 (for HTTP requests) to allow. I hope this will be resolved with the next updates.

Has this bug been fixed in 5.3 and what is this bug he is talking about please?

Shall I set this rule to Allow or Ask then?

What are those HTTP requests for? For other people that have clients that integrate into the browser and thus ask for connections on port 80?

About IPv6:
For my XP SP2 machine:
Should I have IPv6 filtering turned on or not regardless of if I have uTorrent installed and use it?
Am I in danger from malicious activity over IPv6 IPs in general regardless of if I have IPv6 installed or not?
Shall I install IPv6 at all to be connectible to more peers on this XP SP2 machine?

For my Win7 Ultimate 64bit:
Should I have IPv6 filtering turned on or not regardless of if I have uTorrent installed and use it?
Am I in danger from malicious activity over IPv6 IPs in general regardless of if I have IPv6 installed or not?
Shall I install IPv6 at all to be connectible to more peers on this Win7 Ultimate 64bit machine?

On the XP SP2 machine this is my “ipconfig /all” log:

Windows-IP-Konfiguration

Hostname. . . . . . . . . . . . . : xxx
        Primäres DNS-Suffix . . . . . . . :
        Knotentyp . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unbekannt
        IP-Routing aktiviert. . . . . . . : Nein
        WINS-Proxy aktiviert. . . . . . . : Nein

Ethernetadapter LAN-Verbindung:

Verbindungsspezifisches DNS-Suffix:
        Beschreibung. . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce 10/100 Mbps Ethernet
        Physikalische Adresse . . . . . . : xxx
        DHCP aktiviert. . . . . . . . . . : Ja
        Autokonfiguration aktiviert . . . : Ja
        IP-Adresse. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
        Subnetzmaske. . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
        Standardgateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
        DHCP-Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
        DNS-Server. . . . . . . . . . . . : xxx
                                            xxx
                                            xxx

I have a Cisco Linksys WRT610N if that makes a difference to the reply and not sure if it support IPv6 native or what exactly that means. Sorry.

UTorrent uses TCP over port 80 for tracker updates

That thread is pretty old but for the most part the information is correct. I created an update that may be of use.

[b]About IPv6:[/b] For my XP SP2 machine: Should I have IPv6 filtering turned on or not regardless of if I have uTorrent installed and use it? Am I in danger from malicious activity over IPv6 IPs in general regardless of if I have IPv6 installed or not? Shall I install IPv6 at all to be connectible to more peers on this XP SP2 machine?

If you’re running XP SP2 or later ipv6 is available for installation through a simple command:

netsh int ipv6 install

Likewise, to remove ipv6:

netsh int ipv6 uninstall

When you load uTorrent you have the option to install support for Teredo (ipv6 tunnelling) essentially this just installs ipv6 and makes it available for use. If you haven’t installed ipv6, either via netsh, or via the uTorrent interface, you don’t need to worry about enabling ipv6 filtering in CIS.

As far as exploits are concerned, for the most part you are no more at risk with ipv6 installed than you are using ipv4. However, of all the ipv6 transition technologies (Teredo, 6to4, 6in4 etc) Teredo probably presents the easiest attack surface. Also, if your router doesn’t support ipv6, and you have it enabled on your PC, you may find unsolicited traffic flowing both inbound and outbound, unless you take care to implement firewall rules that control tunnelling.

Personally, if you want ipv6 connectivity, I’d suggest looking at using a free tunnel broker, assuming native ipv6 is not available from your ISP.

For my [url=http://bit.ly/msjqfK]Win7 Ultimate 64bit[/url]: Should I have IPv6 filtering turned on or not regardless of if I have uTorrent installed and use it? Am I in danger from malicious activity over IPv6 IPs in general regardless of if I have IPv6 installed or not? Shall I install IPv6 at all to be connectible to more peers on this Win7 Ultimate 64bit machine?

Windows 7 and Vista have ipv6 installed and active by default, however, if you’re not using the protocol stack you can disable it. To do so, open a command prompt and enter the following:

netsh interface ipv6 set privacy state=disable
netsh interface ipv6 6to4 set state state=disabled
netsh interface ipv6 isatap set state state=disabled
netsh interface ipv6 set teredo disabled

With regard to using ipv6 with utorrent, in all honesty, you’re probably not going to gain any significant benefit by doing so. With something like Teredo, whenever there is a choice between making a connection over ipv4 and ipv6, ipv4 will always be preferred. The only real use, at least presently, for ipv6 with uTorrent, is hiding p2p traffic from ISP bandwidth throttling technologies, however, this may or may not work, depending on your ISP.

On the XP SP2 machine this is my "ipconfig /all" log:

Windows-IP-Konfiguration

Hostname. . . . . . . . . . . . . : xxx
        Primäres DNS-Suffix . . . . . . . :
        Knotentyp . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unbekannt
        IP-Routing aktiviert. . . . . . . : Nein
        WINS-Proxy aktiviert. . . . . . . : Nein

Ethernetadapter LAN-Verbindung:

Verbindungsspezifisches DNS-Suffix:
        Beschreibung. . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce 10/100 Mbps Ethernet
        Physikalische Adresse . . . . . . : xxx
        DHCP aktiviert. . . . . . . . . . : Ja
        Autokonfiguration aktiviert . . . : Ja
        IP-Adresse. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
        Subnetzmaske. . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
        Standardgateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
        DHCP-Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
        DNS-Server. . . . . . . . . . . . : xxx
                                            xxx
                                            xxx

The ipconfig shows a standard ipv4 configuration. Ipv6 is not in use.

have a Cisco Linksys WRT610N if that makes a difference to the reply and not sure if it support IPv6 native or what exactly that means. Sorry.

The WRT610N, as far as I know, does not have support for ipv6, however, it’s quite possinle to change the firmware so that ipv6 support can be added. Personally I use Tomato RAF on my router, which has great support Tomato Firmware

Currently, only a few ISPs offer ipv6 support ‘natively’ in the same way they offer ipv4. Or to put it another way, when you connect to your ISP, you are allocated an ip address that allows you to connect to the Internet, if you will, this is ‘native’ ipv4. To check if your ISP has plans for ipv6, you should check their web site or give them a call.

For that majority, outside Asia, at least, native ipv6 is still a way off, basically because ISPs have vested interests in the current technologies.