CIS 5.3 Official Release Date [Released]

+1

~Maxx~

Agreed - I skipped v4, as it seemed to have problems and a change in v3 had locked up my computer. For v5, I cloned the HD before installing and also monitored the forums for problems, then waited for the first update before downloading.

Beware of software with even version numbers - and for this purpose, 5 is an even number.
5.0 is new; 5.1 has some fixes; 5.11 fixes the fixes and might be OK. That’s how I view updates, but in some cases, notably Opera and Avast!, even Alphas and Betas can be satisfactory.
Some companies release ‘WIR’ (‘When It’s Ready’); others seem to rush out software that’s dangerous.

It is ready and Comodo is working on implementing it according to egemen. May be it will come with v5.1.

As you said I also waited and read the forum before putting 5 on my computer. 5 came out on I believe September 14 and I didn’t put 5 on my computer until November 7. I waited to see if they were going to stop the Anti-Virus updates to version 3.14 and they did on November 2. So I waited and read everything that was said about version 5 and finally decided to go for it on November 7. I told my wife not to put it on her Vista laptop until I tested it for a couple of weeks on my desktop 64 bit XP. And this about 5 Anti-Virus engine being better than 3.14 was. I don’t see this 5 engine has the same amount of false positives as 3.14 did plus 5 engine is about 20 percent slower in scanning my computer than the 3.14 engine was. I do believe when I can to have my Anti-Virus and main defense program all in one but I also see that the programmers here at COMODO is more concern with getting it out there than to make sure most of the bugs are out before they do. So far so good with 5.0.142 no problems on my 64 bit XP in fact once I told the sandbox what programs on my computer not to sandbox even the sandbox works without interfering with my computer or its programs. I am not sure about 5.1 I’ll read up on it a lot before tying it out if they get it out by Christmas I might try it on my computer about February or March. Anything else is to ■■■■■■■ my hard drive with all those hard shut downs that I had to do with both versions 4.0 and 4.1.

Looks like the antivirus is up:

More than likely a repeat of the following scenario:

I know that Avast don’t use the same definition for v4 and v5. Look at the screen shot or VT result .
I don’t know about other AVs.

http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan/report.html?id=9f6928305685d6b3b5f592b414de8585eb8f294d783da72841497ccbc664bf1e-1289785562

[attachment deleted by admin]

None of those version pairs have definition update formats which are any more compatible than Comodo. For best results, refocus your frustration on the shortcomings that lead you to wish they were! ;D

I don’t doubt your sincerity but the “This is a free product.” mantra really doesn’t cut it when other free products are comparatively free of bugs as well as cost. :wink:

I know for a fact that AVG is using a definitions that is compatible with older versions of it’s product I tried there latest version and it eats up to much cpu and slows down your computer I also have a old installer of version 7 and yes it can get definitions updates. It will bug you to upgrade the program but you can still get definitions for version 7. and it will still scan your system with the new definitions in its data base.

Hi MJR1
You did say definitions for AVG 6 and 10 were compatible. Now it’s that you can still get updates for 7.X ??? which I would not recommend.

If it’s gotta be free (for personal use) and work well on an old slow PC, putting on my “objective as can be expected under the circumstances” hat - hmmm… it starts with ‘a’ and a guy who is far more ridiculously fanatical than I could be bothered about as far as reducing resource use has got a whole thread about it here

You can get the new Anti-Virus Definitions for 6 or 7 and use them to scan your computer with the older version of AVG but it will bug you there is a newer version of AVG out there and do you want to get it. And a long time friend of mine told me that where AVG went wrong is they got away from just a Anti-Virus program and added to much other monitoring stuff to there software and that is why it has your cpu running at 60 to 70 percent most of the time. Now that is the more recent one the older version doesn’t do that.

:-TU

i wish comodo wouldnt create so much hype about what they are developing then not tell us anything about it. they just say very vague things about it and say it will be released soon. atleast tell us some details and if not then dont even announce it.

And if they did that, people would complain about them never telling “us” anything.
If they announce a specific date and it slips, people complain about that.

They, like most software companies, are ■■■■■■ if they do and ■■■■■■ if they don’t.

I don’t know if there actually is an acceptable medium here.

Ewen :slight_smile:

Good point. Also, people need to remember that if Comodo says that they are working on XYZ, then another company might go, “that’s a good idea” and rush to get it out even if it’s not perfect, just to be first, then Comodo can’t patent it or claim to be first. So, a lot needs to go on in the background that we cannot be made aware of before releases. So, when they have something workable, patentable, and presentable, then they will release information. :slight_smile:

I think the happy medium would be an actual dev just stating, “We have read these bug reports XYZ, and are looking for fixes to them in the next release. Also the next release will contain new technology that we can’t discuss for these reasons …”. :slight_smile: The bug reports one, would be replies to individual bugs I guess. :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers.

I do believe this issue was stated by Melih not too recently ago somewhere here within these forums. Do not quote me on the precise wording but, I do believe that the reason for the hush hush on this has to do with copyright issues.

Roger :slight_smile:

Trademarks more precisely. Doesn’t want DACS to be trademarked by someone else before they can do it.

Actually, copyright is the correct terminology to use here.

"According to the US Copyright Office FAQ, copyright “protects original works of authorship including literary, dramatic, musical, and artistic works such as poetry, novels, movies, songs, computer software and architecture.”

DACs is a new software architecture that is a basis of computer software and would correctly fit the criteria of “copyright” law.

i remember melih saying something about waiting for the patents for DACS first then releasing the details i just wonder how long that process takes and if its almost completed so they can release some details about DACS

Yes that is kind of what I was referring to in the beginning. And sometimes I know for a fact that the patent office or whoever is handling this matter can take sometimes forever.