CIS 5.0 Helper Service is not started automatically via XP Sp3 [281]

Comodo Internet Security (V5.0.162636.1135) Helper Service is not started automatically via Windows XP Sp3.
The system event log entry is made of 2 bugs:
1: Waiting timeout (30000 ms) - the COMODO Internet Security Helper Service service connection. (event 7009)
2: The service (COMODO Internet Security Helper Service) terminated with the following error: The service did not respond timely to the start or control request… (event 7000)

Therefore, the CIS will be initialized for a long time (approx 3-5 min.) and then the CIS Defense+ module is not working properly. During the initialization of the network connection does not work.
Manually start the service solves the problem.
See also: https://forums.comodo.com/firewall-help-cis/help-comodo-firewall-doesnot-initialize-properly-after-update-to-50-t61797.0.html).

Sorry for the language mistakes, but I know English badly…

We would very much appreciate it if you would edit your first post to create an issue report in line with the bug forum guidelines and format here. You can copy and paste the format from this topic.

To understand the reasons why we ask you to follow these guidelines please see below.

WHY WE ASK YOU TO FOLLOW THESE GUIDELINES
Bugs/issues can be impossible or very time consuming to fix if developers don’t have enough information to reproduce them. Since CIS is free, development time is limited. So if you want your issue fixed, please use the format below to describe it.

To avoid clutter, issues not described in the format below your post will not be moved to the ‘moderator verified’ issues topic. This means that the developers may not look at it.

Best wishes and many thanks in anticipation

Mouse

[at]Devs. There seems to be a number of users affected by this, so retaining here even though update issue.

[at]Pogo. We need someone to completely uninstall Virtual box and see if that solves the problem. As I understand it Virtual Box uses deprecated hooking techniques, so this is probably not fixable. Vmware works well with CIS

Best wishes

Mouse

TOPIC TITLE
CIS fails to initialise when starting firewall 5.0 on XP SP3

The bug/issue

1. What you did: Clean install of V5.O (revo unistall of 4.0 and ran Comodo clean up tool.

2. What actually happened or you actually saw:

comodo desktop shows orange shield & message "CIS is being initialised. Shield turns red and the message “Comodo application agent is not running” appears. Click diagnostics a box appears offering to fix the problem which returns saying the problem has been fixed and telling me to reboot. However, when I do reboot it’s the same problem as before.

1. What you expected to happen or see: CIS initialises and runs

2. How you tried to fix it & what happened:
    administrative tools > services start comodo agent (although is set to start automatically). Also get in recovery box tell it to restart service on all failures.
    This works but only for that session. Back to problem when restart etc.

3. Details (exact version) of any software involved with download link: latest version of V5.0 as of 10/5

4. Any other information you think may help us:

Files appended

1. Screenshots illustrating the bug:
  2. Screenshots of related event logs or the active processes list: don’t know how to do this.
  3. A CIS config report or file. ?
  4. Crash or freeze dump file: N/A

Your set-up

1. CIS version, AV database version & configuration used: Firewall 5.0 standard config as recommended by installer
  2. Whether you imported a configuration, if so from what version: NO
  3. Defense+ and Sandbox OR Firewall security level: safe
  4. OS version, service pack, no of bits, UAC setting, & account type: XP SP3 32 bits Admin
  5. Other security and utility software running: McAfee antivirus PC tools spyware doctor. But problem same when these inactivated.
  6. Virtual machine used (Please do NOT use Virtual box): None

Thanks for doing a much needed issue report for this!

Don’t worry about screenshots, not very relevant in this case.

Will now merge with other thread, and make this a verified issue report

Best wishes

Mouse

Hi,
need to help a swedish user with his Firewall that chrashes all the time. He has uninstalled, done system restores, been running the Diagnostics tool, (the tool has found errors, do you want to correct them, then yes. Corrections made). But still he will get the message “The program agent is not running”.
Any ideas?
Uploading his xml file, as .txt.

B R
Mats H

[attachment deleted by admin]

i have the same problem…since auto-updating to the latest version.
running windows vista on a laptop.
no idea…
cis says to run diagnostics…press the button & the uac comes up & click continue & the whole thing freezes…alt+ctrl+del brings computer back but diagnostics does nothing…
what gives?
this program has always been great imo, but now i’m left wondering… >:-D

File shows that cmdagent, isn’t started of maybe crashed.

Can you verify services, and check if “Comodo Internet Security Helper Service” is set to Automatic and is started? If it’s not started there are probably entries on the Windows Event logs related to cmdagent.

Could you post screenshots here of the related errors if possible?

Hi Ronny,
thank for your reply.
I’ll try to get as much information as possible from the swedish board, where this problem was posted.
If you can read swedish!
http://eforum.idg.se/topic/223994-comodo-programagent-ar-inte-igang/page__pid__1115493__st__0&#entry1115493
BR
Mats H

ronny,
i’ve looked at both services & event viewer, both are fine. cis is running & set to auto in services. no events logged for cis in event viewer…don’t know what’s going on!
all of a sudden the program seems to be working…?

Hi,
some services settings was changed:

Com+Events system wasn’t set to Automatic
Com+System Application wasn’t set to Automatic
Both was changed from Manual to Automatic.

Expecting to hear if this does the trick!
Sorry, no screen dumps!
B R
Mats H

Do you have External USB devices (e.g. harddisk etc) attached during startup?
I have seen several issues with external drives being to slow to spin up causing issues with the timeout on the cmdagent

Hi Ronny!
I’ll send you the screendumps, in a PM, they are uploaded via Sprend so the download link only works once.
1st file is the local “services” , factory settings.
The following 4 are Comodo Internet Security Helper Service
5,6,7,8 belongs to COM+Event System
9,10,11,12 belongs toCOM+System Application
13,14,15,16 belongs to Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
17,18,19,20 belongs to Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator
It’s said that Comode are depending on them, that’s why they are included.
21,22,23 och 24 are the actual screen dumps of Comodo chrashing, before start up of the Firewall!

Sorry for the inconvinience by doing it this way.
B R
Mats H

Hi Mats

Realise you have put together a lot of useful information here, but would really appreciate it if you could put it into a standard format bug report so that I can forward it to the developers.

Standard request with link follows below.

Best wishes

Mouse

We would very much appreciate it if you would edit your first post to create an issue report in line with the bug forum guidelines and format here. You can copy and paste the format from this topic.

To understand the reasons why we ask you to follow these guidelines please see below.

WHY WE ASK YOU TO FOLLOW THESE GUIDELINES
Bugs/issues can be impossible or very time consuming to fix if developers don’t have enough information to reproduce them. Since CIS is free, development time is limited. So if you want your issue fixed, please use the format below to describe it.

To avoid clutter, issues not described in the format below your post will not be moved to the ‘moderator verified’ issues topic. This means that the developers may not look at it.

Best wishes and many thanks in anticipation

Mouse

Hi,
sorry to do it this way, but since the links only can be used once, and it’s a lot of files, i didn’t want to publish them on the board it self, if anyone curious would open them, then the info would be lost.

I hope, that when Ronny sees what they contain, we can work it out how to get the information in to the “proper” channels of dealing with it.

My apologies!
B R
Mats H

Ok happily I have discovered another topic which seems the same so I will merge. Obviously happy to unmerge if you determine it is different.

Best wishes

Mouse

Hi mouse1!
Had some problems finding the topic after it was moved!
Good that there was an other similar.
The mergeing is OK with me!
B R
Mats H

Sorry. For future reference I always append another post when mergeing so all subscribed members should receive. If you click on view/reply it should take you there.

I ran into this same issue when doing a clean install of CIS 5.0 on a family member’s XP SP3 32-bit laptop. The only thing I could do as a temporary workaround is to create a .bat file with the following line and placed it in the Startup.

net start “COMODO Internet Security Helper Service”

Is there any update on a permanent fix? It’s been a few weeks since the last post here.

Could anyone provide environment for debugging? If it possible, please contact me (MSN: S_teperchuk@hotmail.com)