CIS 4 - Solutions to Windows Installer Error

In the end of setup process CIS 4, installer reported about error “there is a problem with this windows installer package. а program required for this install to complete could not be run. contact your support personnel or package vendor”
how to cure???

Does the alert give anymore information as to what file is missing? Can you post a screenshot of the alert?

See if installing Windows Installer 4.5 helps.

i already had windows installer 4.5! Attachment of the screen shot

http://albums.foto.tut.by/userpics/f/e/1000022989/error64448.jpg

i found 2 solutions of the problem:

1. don’t press OK button on the error form and do hard reset PC. CIS already installed but not registered components. Run CIS and do diagnostic procedure. If program can fix a problems - all OK, if not - create error log and search string with “failed” (for me it was cavshell). get registry items with cavshell entries from fully workable CIS v4 on another PC and importing. Reboot the system and do diagnostic procedure (for me was no one errors).
  2. launch installer with key “/log error.txt” and see what problem. for me it was

Action 8:25:57: RegisterCavshell. Registering antivirus shell...
Error 1721. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action: RegisterCavshell, location: regsvr32.exe, command: /s "C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cavshell.dll" 
MSI (s) (44:C8) [08:27:15:312]: Product: COMODO Internet Security -- Error 1721. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action: RegisterCavshell, location: regsvr32.exe, command: /s "C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cavshell.dll" 

i try to manualy launch regsvr32.exe, but win said what file not found ((( i copy this file in to his own directory from another PC (or distrib) and reboot. after, installation process complete succesfully.

Thank you for informing us. I will make sure I will mention it so other people can take advantage of it.

First, installing 4 said that I had to uninstall 3.xx first. However, there is no uninstaller, and the suggestions to go through the Registry and strip out all references are outrageous.

This is a very badly behaved package; uninstall should be a clean, direct part of any system. (Comodo doesn’t even show up in the Control Panel list of installed programs!)

As a consequence, I have manually stripped every reference I can find to Comodo and cfp etc out of the registry, and deleted the install packages, and every folder referencing it on my drives >:(. I will not be reinstalling it, nor recommending it to anyone, ever again.

VERY bad show, Comodo. :-[

Sorry to hear about that.

Next time you can use this clean up script. That will save you the tedious manual cleaning.

I am sorry, but this needs to be fixed, not a work-around that we have to go into an error log and…

This is supposed to be an installer, not a pseudo-installer!

I am back to version 3.

Sparky

I, too tried to install CIS4 and had it fail during installation - this despite downloading the complete 132MB of data required twice. I just got error 1603 come up on screen and couldn’t get past it, I have now gone back to version 3. Are you sure that this isn’t the beta copy? Don’t ask for image of screen message - I haven’t got one and I’m not going to try installing again.

Hello! I have Windows XP Professional SP3, I installed windows installer v.4.5 and I tried to install again Comodo Internet Security 4 (only firewall) but every time I get and error…

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/5497/cis4error.png

I have Avast 5 installed… before to upgrade to avast 5 and CIS 4 I had avast 4.8 he and CIS 3.5… all worked fine until I decided to upgrade these products… I need help! please! How to install CSI 4 (only firewall)?

Did you try the clean up tool I mentioned in the above?

Also try Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and see if there is an entrance of CIS v4. If it is there remove it.

The above is needed so we will have a clean slate to start from. Try again and if it fails check the Windows logs to see if they logged it. The Windows logs can be found under Control Panel → Administrative Tools → Event Viewer → Windows logs. Now check both the application logs and Windows logs and post a screenshot of the alert.

This seemed to work for me (after also downloading the alternate msi installer.) Vista Home Pro Sp1 32bit.

https://forums.comodo.com/empty-t53413.0.html
Removing this key from the registry:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Comodo Internet Security

The uninstaller script probably does this as well I’d say.

Finally success at installing Comodo Internet Security 4.

What follows is the solution sequence for my specific problem case.
Hardware/Software: Dell Dimension 8300/Microsoft XP Pro (SP3)

1. Uninstalled Comodo Firewall 3.5.54375.427 using ‘Add or Remove Programs’.

2. Tried to install Comodo Internet Security 4.0135239.742
    Installation failed. A dialog box titled ‘Comodo Installer’ displayed the following text.

Cannot install C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Comodo Downloader\CIS_Setup.msi
    Error: 1603. Fatal error during installation.

3. Deleted outdated ‘Windows Installer’ and installed latest version 4.5.
    To determine current version, go to ‘Run’ and type ‘msiexec /?’.
    If current version is not 4.5, go to and follow instructions at the following link.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5a58b56f-60b6-4412-95b9-
    54d056d6f9f4&displaylang=en

After updating ‘Windows Installer’ to version 4.5 reboot and try to install CIS 4 again.

4. Installaton failed but with a different error. Did not get ‘Comodo Installer’ Error: 1603.
    That was solved with ‘Windows Installer’ update to version 4.5.
    The new installaton error received was the same as the image posted by Alecos in Reply #9 of this
    thread.

5. Using the suggestion posted by Robaye in Reply #11, a reminant folder (left over from the ‘Comodo
    Firewall’ uninstall) titled ‘Comode Internet Security’ was found in the registry at key:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Comodo Internet Security

Manually delete this key from the registry. This key was not removed by the uninstall of ‘Windows
    Firewall’ by using ‘Add or Remove Programs’. It was this omission that caused the installation failure of
    Comodo Internet Security 4.

6. Install Comodo Internet Security 4. The installation should be successful. It was in my specific case.