CIS 4 block ABBYY Lingvo x3

Windows 7 x64 Ult
after deactivate Defence+ successfully installed ABBYY Lingvo x3 14.0.0.715
if Defence+ is ON (even if I add “ABBY” to trusted vendors from exe) ABBYY licensing service blocked and won’t start

p.s. “Сервер лицензирования” Ru → “Licensing Service” Eng :slight_smile:

link to distrib http://fr7.abbyy.com/lingvox3/ABBYY_Lingvo_x3_Eng.exe

[attachment deleted by admin]

I have same problem - ABBYY Lingvo X3 Licensing Server service can’t start in Windows 7 Ultimate RUS x64 environment, if Defense+ (CIS 4.0.) isn’t fully inactivated.

This may be a sandboxing issue.

To check if it is, with D+ enabled, de-activate the automatic sandbox using the slider in sandbox settings and then reboot. Then try your app. again.

If it is a sandboxing issue, then try the unsandboxing FAQ, which will help you address the issue here. If these techniques don’t work for you, please post what happened when you tried each of them, and I’ll investigate further. If a technique does work please tell me which one so I can help other users of this program.

Best wishes

Mouse

What do the Defense + logs tell? The logs are in Defense + → Common Tasks → View Defense + Events. When the logs are in Russian please set the interface of CIS to English.

Sandbox function was fully deactivated.
if I try to launch Lingvo3.exe (in any variants), i don’t see any messages in Defense+ log. Lingvo tries to launch licensing service and shows message “Licensing service in unavailable. PRC server can’t start”

Looks like a service is failing to start. Try running lingvo3.exe and the service, which may be called something like PRCService I guess, as installers/updaters. You may be able to find the name of the service from Control panel ~ admin tools ~ services, and check what happens in D+ logs when you try to start it. If the software has CD -based copy protection, see if any file on the CD is run on execution, and give it the same rights. All the above only if you trust all the files of course as installer status conveys wide D+ exemptions.

(Making something a safe file, or using trusted vendor facilities, may not be enough as licensing software can involve files which are generated or modified on each run, and therefore cannot be code signed).

Best wishes

Mouse

Just a big leap here.

May be with PRC server is confused with RPC (Remote Procedure Call) service ?

Can you look up the Licensing service in the Services list and see what it depends on? The list with services can be found under Control Panel → Administrative Tools.

Hmm yes and there is a common licensing service called PSIService.

Best wishes

Mouse

The ABBYY licensing service depends on the RPC, so if there is protection in Defense+ for these COM interfaces, it will probably need to be modified.

You’ll probably find it quicker to remove the firewall, install Lingvo then reinstall the firewall.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Yes, it is RPC service (sorry for mistake).

No, usage as installer or trusted application doesn’t solve the problem.
No, the software doesn’t use CD for protection. It installs separate licensing service.

I’ve installed Lingvo without any problems with disactivated Defense+.
But after Defense+ activation, licensing service can’t start again.

Additional info:

Lingvo installs separate tool, which is named NetworkLicenseServer.exe. The tool works as service “ABBYY Lingvo X3 Licensing service” (C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ABBYY\Lingvo\14.0\Licensing\NetworkLicenseServer.exe" -service) and needs RPC. So, Lingvo tries to run it during installation (fails and can’t complete installation, if defense+ active) and at each system start after installation (and fails again)

The service can’t start, if Defense+ is active.
I’ve added ABBYY as trusted software venfor and CIS said that NetworkLicenseServer.exe is trusted file. I’ve also added NetworkLicenseServer.exe as trusted application (and tried to use it as installer). I tried to exclude “\RPC Control” from Protected COM interfaces. Sandbox is fully disabled. But Lingvo doesn’t start.
In all scenarios there are nothing in Defense+ logs.

May be worth posting the logs for a period in which you sarted the app, just in case we, or rather probably EricJH, can see something.

I’m assuming you have to to ‘permanently’ disable D+ and reboot? Or is disabling on the slider enough?

A bug that has reared its head recently again in the guard32.dll bug. To find if it’s this try renaming guard32.dll (and the copy in the repair directory) and rebooting.

You can also try exempting the file from image execution control and turning off shellcode injection protection and rebooting.

Best wishes

Mouse

I’ve re-named guard32.dll and Lingvo works now.
But CIS tries to reinstall the DLL :frowning:

If you rename it in the repair directory as well it cannot

Best wishes

Mouse

I’ve renamed the dll in Windows folder and in CIS repair folder.
But CIS shows notification about update, which installs dll again. I use latest build, so it seems like CIS tries to reinstall the dll after renaming.

Sorry, yes, on reflection it will do this. The price of the fix I am afraid!

Just ignore it if you can and check the web site for updates. Don’t know of a way round this.

Best wishes

Mouse

any news on the subject? do I have just to uninstall either Comodo or Lingvo?..

Is this still a problem when using 4.1.xx.920?

Most guard32 problems are now solved, but if this one is not I need to add it to the list.

Best wishes

Mouse

Sorry, i had to check if the problem is still there with 4.1… Didn’t notice the update.
It works as it should now, thanks.

Thanks for telling us, much appreciated.

Mouse