CIS 3.13 virus signature database reverted to ver. 1??

Hi folks…

Very new to Comodo but like it a LOT more than ZA…
been using CIS for about 3 months… installed 3.13 in Nov. and went through all the “stuck at 30%” stuff early on… definitely had the virus signature database version up beyond 2500 early on…

Currently, I am apparently in the middle of a re-installation of the main virus signature database… cmdagent is showing 31.3 mb downloaded and climbing…

The problem is that the virus signature database version has reverted to ver. 1 (???) …

The current behavior is certainly consistent with a new install … the big initial update , indicator sitting at 30% for a looooong time and all … but this is not a new install…

Comodo diagnostics shows nothing amiss and my myriad array of other security tools concur…

The BIG question is what could have caused the virus signature database version to revert to ver. 1 ? …

I scoured these forums looking for info on this issue and read as much as any person could and stay sane, but I didn’t see anything on the virus signature database reverting by itself… Can anyone point me to any info on this issue??

On dialup, 100 mb database updates will NOT cut it as a regular recurring activity…

The secondary question thus becomes… Can anyone suggest way to download the main virus signature database as a separate file to save independent of the Comodo updating function… This would certainly save a lot of time if this glitch happens again down the line

Thanks …

When did the av database revert back to 1? There was a problem with the update server earlier today but that is fixed now. Also see: Do you have a problem with the definition download servers today Comodo?.

There is a separate download for the initial av database that supports resuming (you can use a download manager) here: Where can i download the latest full AV database?

Hi Eric…

Thanks for answering so quick…

As to the first point, I really don’t know… I’m going to guess and say that the ver. number reverted early yesterday, which is when I started noticing weird behavior from the updater… That would put it in your suggested cause time frame…

I read all the posts under that heading and understand a bit better now how the process works… Although I’m gonna feel a lot more comfortable with the process once I’ve got control over the update downloads… This sudden reversion was an unwelcome surprise…

So, I guess the question becomes, why didn’t the CIS installation revert to that initial huge download, the one in the ver. 2500 range that freaks out all the new users ???

As to the second point, yeah, I found that link about four hours AFTER I posted… and man, I read a lot of posts as a guest before I finally posted… Just didn’t see the right one… :-[

While all that reading was going on, the CIS automatic signature updater downloaded approx. 100 mb (!) and then terminated the connection (!!!) . After all that fun and a reboot, the ver. number was still at #1 … and yes, the download wanted to start again… I terminated that connection and went looking for an alternative… I’ve now set my download manager to work on the manual link and will report to you shortly on progress…

I think that that manual link is a very, very good idea… it’s something that ZA doesn’t have, which is why I’'m now committed to using Comodo… :-TU

As to other points that may be of help…just ask…

I’ll be back soon… couple of hours…

E.

The fix worked like a charm… Once that update was in the sign. ver. went to 3247 and now we are at 3301… Thanks Eric

I still would like to know how this reversion thing happened … but as the immediate issue is fixed and I have the Base siig. backed up… well, we are good to go… :-TU :-TU :-TU