Chromodo and Dragon : Twitch Streams AND Videos do NOT load !

Browser : Chromodo Version 48.12.18.238 & Dragon Version 46.9.15.425 (portable)

Symptom : Twitch Videos (stream or otherwise) do not load, video part of the page is black and never even shows the rolling icon indicating that the stream/vid strarts to load : NOTHING. Youtube and other platforms videos work.

It’s Comodo’s fault : works on Chrome, Firefox, IE. (and of course I tried on several streams, vids)

It’s not a comodo extension : disabled all of them, same result, no vid, no stream

Below, the original post

Browser : Chromodo 45.9.12.392

Symptom : very slow loading of twitch videos (NOT live streams), slow searching in videos

Behavior got slow and I think it’s very recent very likely to be due to Chat Replay.

I’ve identified what extension I can disable to get acceptable speed : Comodo Media Downloader
EDIT ! re-enabling the extension doesn’t replicate the problem. There was a problem, disable the extension solved it, but now I’m fine with the extension on. Go figure…

I’ve contacted Twitch about that, but that extension seems to be the culprit (Twitch videos were working fine with that extension enabled before twitch implemented Chat Replay).

Additionally since that extension is automatically installed with Chromodo, which is almost always installed with Comodo security suite, that probably makes it a lot of people having this problem, and probably many of them stop watching twitch altogether.

Hi and welcome. :slight_smile:

I notice that your Chromodo is not up to date. There is an update to 48 available.

I’ve updated Chromodo. Things are worse now. Read above I’ve edited the original post.

No video works on stream (didn’t try other streaming platform).

I’m thinking of switching to Chrome or another chromium, quite annoying since I sort of invested some time in setting Chromodo.

I’ve updated Chromodo. Things are worse now. Read above I’ve edited the original post.

No video works on stream (didn’t try other streaming platform).

I’m thinking of switching to Chrome or another chromium, quite annoying since I sort of invested some time in setting Chromodo.

If video/audio doesn’t play at all in Chromodo or Dragon, it is usually because it is encoded in a format that those browsers don’t support.

Your initial problem was different, though, so I’m not sure what is going on. I tried to play a video on Twitch with Chrome, but all I got was a rolling circle. I guess I’m blocking something. Only black in my Firefox.

And now I’ve isntalled Comodo Dragon Version 46.9.15.425 (portable) : same thing, no Twitch video, nothing, and everything works on other browsers.

Video DOES play in Chromodo and Dragon, at least from Youtube, but not from Twitch.

Chromodo/Dragon support VP9/VP8 and Opus/Vorbis on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/html5

If Twitch uses only AVC/H.264 and AAC or mp3, Chromodo and Dragon will currently not support it.

Twitch does use H.264. But Twitch used to work on my Chromodo, until very recently, on channels encoded on H.264, so is this a recent change ?
I think it would be better to inform people. I understand this is not great publicity, but letting people waste time and effort only to realize later the browser is not for them is worse.

Chromodo and Dragon have never supported proprietary formats, for licensing reasons. Comodo is working on using the systems decoders for those formats.

Is it possible that Flash Player has been used on Twitch in the past?

Did a bit of research. To force flash player

That works. Not good enough of course, but Twitch is now html5 by default, as one can see in the changelog of the last version of BetterTTV (a chrome Twitch extension) : “Removed: Abiity to force Twitch’s new HTML5 player (it’s now default)”.

Hope you’ll find a way to work this out, 'cause as it is these browsers are lacking a crucial functionality.