Chromodo 42 and Ice Dragon screenshots

!ot! Are you ticklish that you can’t stand Melih’s teasing? Just kidding…

Cant wait, im so excited :slight_smile: Keep it up dev’s!

Looking forward to this! Good job, keep it up! :slight_smile:

Great news!!

Any news on chromodo v42 release?

By the end of this month:

I can’t wait! Hopefully it will be on schedule or earlier. :slight_smile: Is it still going to support Pepperflash or use the NPAPI solely which Chrome is switching to?

Hi Cyberfox007,
Support for NPAPI plugins is going to be phased out sometime in the near future with Chromium based browsers.

Kind regards.

Disabled in M42, removed in M45.

Thanks JoWa.

Which means many users will switch to Java supported browsers such as Safari and Firefox.

I guess I will switch to Ice Dragon when there is no longer any NPAPI support. I understand the reasoning behind the move however the reality is far different. Developers are not going to jump into HTML 5 because chromium wants them to. Java is not going to either. Market share will now increase for browsers that still support NPAPI.

Looking at the statistics, and extrapolating it, I don’t think “many users” will switch from Chromium, or even use chrome://flags/#enable-npapi in M42–44. Java on the web is really tiny these days.

The other plugins? Google Talk is no longer needed. Silverlight was until recently required for Netflix, but that is no longer the case. Netflix has an HTML-player. The browser must have an EME-implementation, though (Chrome has).

Java is not insignificant so I have no idea where you are getting that from. For one such discussion see here:

Um no, for an example on what I mean regarding JAVA see here: http://www.quora.com/How-will-Java-be-supported-in-Chrome-after-Chrome-drops-the-NPAPI-support

Yeah, Jowa, I was about say what you were on, thinking that Java is phased-out. It’s still all around.

As with Chrome/Chromium in regards to phasing out NPAPI-based plugins, Mozilla won’t be to far behind.

The world is revolving and evolving, redundancy makes room for new innovation. :wink:

Primarily from the statistics I linked to. In September 2013 8,9 % used Java, in May 2014 7,2 % and in October 2014 3,7 %. How many used Java with Chrome 41? Until that data is published we can only guess, based upon what we do know, and my guess is 2–3 %. Even fewer will probably enable NPAPI in Chrome 42–44.

See also Usage of client-side programming languages for websites (W3Techs)

What data are you referring to when you say that “Java is not insignificant”?

I set my Palemoon to “Ask to activate” a long time ago, I’ve been using it before it was cool.
Mozilla is just being a poser.

You got me there, I keep confusing Javascript with Java. I know they are different.

According to Plugins article of Mozilla Developer Network:
“Plugins are written using NPAPI, the cross-browser API for plugins. The main source of documentation for NPAPI is the Gecko Plugin API Reference. To make your plugin scriptable from web pages, use npruntime.”
If the main source for NPAPI is the Gecko Plugin API your supposition makes no sense.

I edited the broken url for you. I hope it is to your liking. Eric

To divert attention. Java can be started by the browser without using the plug in. That’s what Opera used to do.