Checking for updates

Hi,
I’m using version 3.0.18.309. When I check for updates, I’m told updates are available. Then installing updates. Then copying bases.cav file. Then updates have been installed.
if I now check for updates, I’m told updates are available and I go through the whole process again.
Any idea what’s happening?

Try 2 reinstall it, but before make full uninstallation.
As I know there r no any updates now.

Version 309 is the latest. No reason to check for updates but you still shouldnt have any. Try do a complete uninstall and reinstall.

Hi jc101,

bases.cav is a virus definitions, i guess. They may be updated frequently, so maybe there are no problems at all with your CFP installation.
If you are sure something is wrong, check this thread.
Are you using Vista? If so, disable UAC or automatic updates (and don’t check for updates).

Thanks for the prompt replies. Thanks Goodbrazer for the thread link (I did a search for ‘update problems’ but this thread did not come up). From this thread it seems this is a common problem for Vista users.
I check for updates to get new malware definitions. I have done 4 updates in 5 minutes and each time I was told updates were available. So it seems that this could be a bug.
I wonder what’s in the bases.cav file I keep downloading.
This is not causing me any problems so I don’t think I need to uninstall and re-install.

Those updates if any are for the scanner which is only an ondemamd scanner and do not rely on it for malware or spyware. Scan your system with Spybot and SuperAntiSpyware.

Please Run this script and post the results.
Maybe is some UAC related issue so it would be useful to gather all UAC settings from all affected users to find a clue.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Vista User Access Control Settings

EnableLUA 1
FilterAdministratorToken 0
EnableInstallerDetection 1
ValidateAdminCodeSignatures 0
EnableSecureUIAPaths 1
PromptOnSecureDesktop 1
EnableVirtualization 1
ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin 2

It looks like you have standard UAC settings but you missed to post the first part aof the output.
What groups you account is member of?
Did you upate to 3.0.19?

User jack Member of {Administrators, }
Logged on machine LH-6WJ0RPL1SEIJ at 17/03/2008 17:54:49

Vista User Access Control Settings

EnableLUA 1
FilterAdministratorToken 0
EnableInstallerDetection 1
ValidateAdminCodeSignatures 0
EnableSecureUIAPaths 1
PromptOnSecureDesktop 1
EnableVirtualization 1
ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin 2

Hi gibran,
Sorry for not posting the complete report. I have updated to 3.0.19. The only difference is that now I get a notification at startup that updates are available. So no improvement then.

I downloaded DVDsig and got a list of md5 hashes for all %programfiles%\COMODO\Firewall\scanners files

[ at ]dosmz.cav,332ede0d7d2d8ac08df766d27f6d319e
[ at ]pe32.cav,b73d60c9031467e03a05fe0652f9cb64
[ at ]torque.cav,4cac35c468dcb2c2c592c1883e49174b
bases.cav,b83f245bd4f5b3ac298b441502cf8784
common.cav,b62f42a84df7f39a84520115848f16c3
dvdsig.exe,bd467d3e7f6c6f18fa090941c273b471

In order to verify those files you need another md5 hash software or DVDsig itself.
If you are going to use DVDsig you need to decompress the dvdsig.md5 file I placed in the attached archive and copy it along with
dvdsig.exe in %programfiles%\COMODO\Firewall\scanners.

You can launch dvdsig from that folder and choose verify to check if the files got corrupted.

EDIT: The previous archive was corrupted

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hii gibran,
The attached archive appears to be empty.

Sorry. I attached a new archive.

Hi gibran,
I enclose the results. What to do now?

The data is invalid. @dosmz.cav

The data is invalid. @first.cav
The data is invalid. @pe32.cav
The data is invalid. @torque.cav
The data is invalid. bases.cav
The data is invalid. common.cav
Total:7 OK:1 Bad:6 Missing:0
The operation completed successfully. 7 files, 6MB, 0s

place dvdsig.exe and dvdsig.md5 i attached in %Programfiles%\COMODO\Firewall\Repair
If the check is succesfull then copy these .cav files in %Programfiles%\COMODO\Firewall\Scanners
Please remeber to keep the original .cav files in the repair folder.

If those repair .cav files are corrupted/not updated then I guess you should export your configuration using Miscellaneous\Manage My configurations
and reinstall CFP from scratch.

Hi gibran,
The check was successfull. I am unclear about what to do next. Is this the correct procedure?
1. Delete the invalid files from the Scanners folder.
2. Copy the files from the Repair folder to the Scanners folder.

I am unsure which files you are calling the original files:- the ones in the Scanners folder or the ones in the Repair folder. Do you mean me to copy the files from the Scanners folder to the Repair folder? Are these the original files?

Yep delete the .cav files in the scanners forder and copy there the files from the repair folder.
But make sure that you leave a copy of the good files in the repair folder.

If this workaround solve your issue you still need to check if the cav files in those two directories have the same md5 signature when you are going to update cfp next 3-4 times.
I don’t know why the files in %Programfiles%\COMODO\Firewall\Scanners were not updated.
This could be caused by a bug, a cfp misconfiguration or a privilege (windows access right) issue.

Hi gibran,
I’ve deleted and replaced the files but no joy. I enclose the results from both folders.

Repair:

Total:7 OK:7 Bad:0 Missing:0
The operation completed successfully. 7 files, 11MB, 0s

Scanners:

The data is invalid. @dosmz.cav
The data is invalid. @first.cav
The data is invalid. @pe32.cav
The data is invalid. @torque.cav
The data is invalid. bases.cav
The data is invalid. common.cav
Total:7 OK:1 Bad:6 Missing:0

I notice that the file size is different , 11MB in Repair and 6MB in Scanners. The bases.cav file is showing as 11.3MB in both folders.
I have used the updater and the files in both folders show as being modified.
Since this problem does not seem to be causing any problem with the firewall, I’ll wait to see if it will be fixed in the next version.
Thanks for all your help. It’s much appreciated.

The repair folder contain a backup copy of all CFP program files.
The result you posted show that the files in scanners were not replaced.
did you run dvdsig soon after you copied the .cav files from repair to scanners folder?

Hi gibran,
I definitly deleted the files from the scanners folder and replaced them from the Repair folder, so I don’t know what went wrong. I have now repeated the operation with the same result. I have now done the following:-
1. Deleted the 6 files from the scanners folder and rebooted. The scanners folder then contained only the following 2 files:- dvdsig and dvdsig. md5.
2. I then ran dvdsig in the scanners folder and got the following:-

Where did these 7 files come from? 
        3. I them ran update and the 6 files were downloaded into the scanners folder. When I ran dvdsig I again got the following:-

So that seems to be repaired. I still cannot understand where the 6MB comes from, since the bases.cav has 11.3MB.
  However, this has not fixed the problem. If I update, I am still told that updates are available.